Need feedback on forum categorization

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My guess is most people won't bother to use them. But that's without seeing how it's implemented on the thread creation page.
I'm still not 100% sure of how it'll be implemented. Let's say they are visible and easy. What would make those prefixes super helpful to both posters, those considering replying and guests.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
can they be easily changed after thread creation? Could make an easy way to tag a question thread as answered/not answered.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
can they be easily changed after thread creation? Could make an easy way to tag a question thread as answered/not answered.
Maybe and I see where you are going with that idea. That might be something in addition to the thread prefixes. I could see a list of UNANSWERED if it were maintained. That wouldn't look so hot.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
your idea to use them for specific device models would probably be the best implementation. Especially if it means combining all of those subforums into one.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Would like to revive this thread as I'm seriously considering what would be a major structural move to the forums. Anyone else like to chip in with their thoughts?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hippo seems to have summed up the way I feel. Excessive amount of clicking to get where you want to go. I find myself using the latest tab the most.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Less clicking is better.

I'm a fan of the present setup. Can either use the "What's New" button or go directily to the forum I'm interested in without digging deep into sub-forum(s) menu system.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Less clicking is better.

I'm a fan of the present setup. Can either use the "What's New" button or go directily to the forum I'm interested in without digging deep into sub-forum(s) menu system.
If we were to consolidate all the various models into one iPhone hardware category, that would in effect reduce clicking.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
For me, it's not clicking that's the issue. It's the sheer amount of different sub-forums dedicated to essentially the same things. The iPhone forums don't even fit on one screen.

When I see something as daunting as that, I don't even bother trying to figure out the organization scheme. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to moderate.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Oh I see what you mean Chris. So you're thinking just one "iPhone" forum and talk about whatever is required there. That wouldn't be too bad actually at least for all the various hardware editions.

ed2438

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 9, 2010
El Paso, TX
I think with one iPhone bulk forum, that would behard for someone to find something in particular about a certain iPhone. I know that there is a search function, but will they use it? this can cause multiple threads of the same thing and keep our mods a little busier.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
but how many things are really particular to a specific model iPhone? And are you really going to find it much easier by perusing through an "iPhone 4" forum as opposed to a general "iPhone" forum? I don't think so.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I've seen the thread prefix/tag thing done well and I've seen it done poorly. I'm afraid I can't find any examples off the top of my head. But I can say the current XenForo proposal looks like a good start. Perhaps you could design it so that it's a nice looking icon or subtle hint instead of the jarring, bright-backgrounded text seen in the pic/video (a smattering of differently-colored tags would kill the cleanness of the thread listing).

Considering it will let you do custom CSS that should be easy enough. One with a soft aluminum look for original iPhone threads, black plastic look for the 3G (glossy but not glassy, if that makes any sense), white plastic and shiny text for the 3GS, then a black glass look for the 4 and a glassy(er?) white look for the 4S. I think that'd look pretty snazzy.

If it is easy and clear for the users how to place one on a thread (might need to separate the "dropdown" into a set of radio buttons above the thread title), it'd work really well.

The single iPhone forum in any case would be hopping with activity, and make it more like a real-time chat in which people get answers more quickly.

Reactions: chris