Need Some Help Guys/Gals,Please

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
OK,I know just enough about JBing to be dangerous. Got a 3GS that has an untethered JB. I want to restore,reJB,and unlock it to sell on ebay.
I have 3.1.2 on my desk top. Is it as simple as doing an opt-click on restore,choose the 3.1.2 FW and set up as new then use blackra1n again to JB and unlock? Or am I living in lala land and there is a bit more to it than that.
Thanks for your help everyone.

awaadster3

Bronze
Mar 26, 2010
Detroit, MI
Not so simple. Ever since Apple stopped signing 3.1.2 firmware you cannot use the opt-click-restore. But you can still JB following this guide.

After that its smooth sailing. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. (Don't worry about the downgrade title, this process allows the server to accept the 3.1.2 firmware)

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
OK,I know just enough about JBing to be dangerous. Got a 3GS that has an untethered JB. I want to restore,reJB,and unlock it to sell on ebay.
I have 3.1.2 on my desk top. Is it as simple as doing an opt-click on restore,choose the 3.1.2 FW and set up as new then use blackra1n again to JB and unlock? Or am I living in lala land and there is a bit more to it than that.
Thanks for your help everyone.
DT, need some info. First, do you have a shsh on file with saurik and his servers? If so, you need to change your hosts file on your computer and I can give you the link. Awaadster is wrong about not being able to option+control to restore, I did it earlier this week. Second, what is your baseband? Is it 05.11.07? If so you can restore to 3.1.2 and I can help you. Europa just walked me through it last week. Lemme know.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Not so simple. Ever since Apple stopped signing 3.1.2 firmware you cannot use the opt-click-restore. But you can still JB following this guide.

After that its smooth sailing. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. (Don't worry about the downgrade title, this process allows the server to accept the 3.1.2 firmware)
You can if he had a shsh with 3.1.2 on saurik's servers.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
He's not on 3.1.3, so post #2 does not apply.

Don, if your 3.1.2 shsh is backed up in Cydia, you can change the hosts file on the computer, download the 3.1.2 ipsw, restore to 3.1.2, and jailbreak and unlock with blackra1n and blacksn0w. If it is not backed up, you can make a custom 3.1.3 with Pwnage Tool or sn0wbreeze and unlock with ultrasn0w.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Thanks all. Mindi, I guess it is backed up from what I can see on the pic below. I understand everything you are saying except the part about changing the host file on my computer. And I do have the 3.1.2 file on my desktop.
Edit:I am on the phone. When I get home, I will post the pic from Cydia.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
You can post a pic from the eic app.

What she is saying is that there is a file in your computer which if you have a mac is /etc/hosts. You would need to find that file (I used finder and then go and typed it in) and change it to what saurik posts on his instructional portion of his site. Go to www.saurik.com/id/12 and do as he says in the instructions, it's fairly simple but seems difficult. I struggled with it too and then was like, "that's it?". Just ask Mindi, she helped me through the whole process. Once you have changed it you then need to save it to your desktop and then place it back in /etc/ and overwrite the origional, then enter your password for your computer as it will ask for it. Then, since you already have the 3.1.2, when you hit option+restore find the "hosts" file and use that. It worked for me. Let me know if you need more help.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Here's directions for changing the hosts file on your computer:

Mac
Open Terminal
Type sudo nano /etc/hosts
Enter
Type in your password
Use arrow keys to move down to the bottom of the file
Now paste this line: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
Control o
Enter
Control x

Windows
Open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file:
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
Save the file

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Here is the page from Cydia. I am guessing this means I am backed up. (fingers crossed)
IMG_0415.jpg
Now I will look through all this great info you guys have given me. I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Great. I am on a Mac. After I do the steps above, how do I save it to the desktop. I don't see anyway to save in Terminal. ( I feel so dumb. lol)
Don't you have text edit? Don't use Terminal. Once you find the hosts file double click it to open it and then just add what you need. Then save as to your desktop and make sure you uncheck "if no extension is provided, save as txt". Then once on your desktop drag it back into /etc/.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Great. I am on a Mac. After I do the steps above, how do I save it to the desktop. I don't see anyway to save in Terminal. ( I feel so dumb. lol)
I posted exactly what you need to do in terminal. The confusion is that there are a couple of ways to do it on a Mac. Krunk posted one way and I posted another.

This is all you need to do to edit and save it:

Open Terminal
Enter
Type in your password
Control o
Enter
Control x

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Wow, Krunk, we're doing a great job at confusing him here with two different methods, eh?

After I gave you the text edit directions, I realized it's more time consuming to explain. That's why I chose to give him the terminal directions, lol.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I posted exactly what you need to do in terminal. The confusion is that there are a couple of ways to do it on a Mac. Krunk posted one way and I posted another.

This is all you need to do to edit and save it:

Open Terminal
Enter
Type in your password
Control o
Enter
Control x
Gottcha. Thanks again.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
When I get to entering my password, it won't take it. Am I entering "sudo nano /etc/hosts" wrong? Why is it in bold?
Sorry to be so dense.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Wow, Krunk, we're doing a great job at confusing him here with two different methods, eh?

After I gave you the text edit directions, I realized it's more time consuming to explain. That's why I chose to give him the terminal directions, lol.
Sorry, I'll let you take it from here.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I doesn't need to be bold. I put it in bold so it wouldn't blend in with the word "type." I fixed it.

I'm not sure if you are adding in the spaces.

Copy and paste this line:

sudo nano /etc/hosts