New ads on this website ruin browsing experience

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Please try now...

Thanks for all your help. We'll get this sorted out.
Bingo, works fine now!

It's close enough to the non-mobile version that it gives the same overall "experience" without feeling too stripped down. And without the ad(s) speed is fine over EDGE.

--
Mike

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Let me know if any of you get logged out on the iPhone. I was having issues, but I suspect it was my iPhone barking at all the CSS changes/site templates. It was logging me off to the old-style mobile version. Hopefully, it's isolated.

I'm stepping away for lunch, but will address any issues that come up.

-Chris

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Let me know if any of you get logged out on the iPhone. I was having issues, but I suspect it was my iPhone barking at all the CSS changes/site templates. It was logging me off to the old-style mobile version. Hopefully, it's isolated.

I'm stepping away for lunch, but will address any issues that come up.
Still OK for me. Deleted cache, closed Safari (completely) and it still loads fine. I hate to pull a "mission accomplished" but it appears done. :p

--
Mike

Max66

Aug 29, 2007
Maybe we could switch to different ads. Maybe Adsense or something would work good.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Working as intended.

I don't mind the ads, a man's got to eat...

/sigh at grabbing hands

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Read pages 1,2,3, and 5. So unless page 4 had this idea....

What about a user funded forum? I know of several boards that rely on donations from the users to keep the site ad-free. I'm not sure what kind of feedback you (Chris) would receive from the forums members, but I know I would throw some dough your way if that would help make the site ad-free.

Last thing - perhaps it could be an annual thing. Raise enough money for a year, and then do it all again next year. ;)

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Chris,

The site is running smoothly for me over iPhone, the speed is good, and the format looks good. Thanks for addressing this issue so quickly.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'm not really keen on user funded forums, but I am aware of what Chris is going through with monetizing the huge amounts of traffic this site gets. I'll try and shed some light on this, I'm also in the businesss, but at the other end of the spectrum. I supply the advertising feed for click through traffic to someone like Chris.

There are quite a few iPhone forums out there, everyone is trying to capitalize on a community so they can create a steady stream of traffic that has legitimate retention. This is every online marketer's dream traffic source, because their feed provider is less likely to question their click through ratios, these are IP addresses that keep coming back.

What you people have to realize here is Chris could be sitting on a goldmine, and for as long as we call this place home, there's going to have to be a few pushing matches until we can find that happy medium. I am all for Ads as long as they aren't obtrusive, with my preference leaning towards context sensitive adwords.

So essentially, we won't have to donate or have user-funded forums to keep this site up. If we continue to grow this community and the ads don't end up looking like Gizmodo, we can all coexist happily :)

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
And if want to help out our favorite friendly iPhone forum, does it help if we buy our iPhone accessories in the EIP shop?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
As for the ads, you will notice they have reared their ugly (well they are not so ugly) head. Notice I say head singular. I've rejected countless advertisers for this forum and in fact the rest of the site. Not looking for any pat on the shoulder, but not unlike the members of EIP, I too find the wealth of ads on most sites to be extremely annoying. Now, I have considered the possibility of accepting ads on the main site, but it's nothing I'm planning on in the foreseeable future. For now, it remains ad-free outside of the stuff you see up top.
Sorry to recant that quote, but there will be a small banner for iPhoneRingtoneMaker that is now available in the EIP Software Store. The iPhone version is still adfree.

And if want to help out our favorite friendly iPhone forum, does it help if we buy our iPhone accessories in the EIP shop?
Yes, sales from the EIP store help support the site.;)

Last edited:

erroneous

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I've been loitering around this site quite-a-bit this evening,
and looked at this thread earlier with no real quick/sluggish wit to
contribute to it with.

so... Surfed some more.

Posted a few replies, and read some really funny heartbreak story
about the poor soul dropping his iPhone in the washing machine.

Helped someone with their photo syncing, and read some more
posts.

And then I found myself back at this thread eventually
wondering what lame comment, if any I could come up with
to contribute to it.

And after careful thought, the only thing that called on me
was the title to the original post.

And that was: "New ads on this website ruin browsing experience".

Hmmm?

I guess you make your own experience don't 'cha.

Have a Fun, Safe, and full of some more Fun... Up Coming
Holiday weekend everyone.

John