Official Acura Bluetooth and iPhone compatibility discussion

acura_enthusiast

Nov 26, 2007
Who did you speak to?

OK, after reading all issues with Acura TL and iPhone....talking to Acura Handsfree Link 800 # reps.....going into an Apple store....and calling all tech's I could think of...I marched into my Acura dealer, with the blessings of Apple and Handsfree reps, and told them that my Acura was not holding the pairing. They were to do whatever was necessary to make the phone pair with the car and HOLD THE PAIRING! 3 Hours later, they ordered a NEW bluetooth computer chip for my car. I returned 4 days later, dropped off my car, was given a comp loaner...and....2 hours later, I had an iPhone that worked with my Acura ALL THE TIME. Acura did not charge me a dime! They were GREAT! But, I did have names, dates, times, and phone numbers to back up my request.
What 800 number did you call, and what information did you provide the dealership? I've had problems with more than just my iPhone. I've reset the system memory dozens of times, and I still have remnants of old pairings. It also doesn't recognize many of my voice commands. I've been to the dealership twice, and they turned me away. I called the Acura service and support line, and they could only tell me how to repair my phone.

bschneider

Sep 30, 2007
Just read that the new 2009 RL is going to have Bluetooth Audio capabilities. Now all we need is to have the iPhone go the same route

ogbza

Feb 13, 2008
iPhone Voicemail in 05 TL

I have my iPhone successfuly paired with the Handsfree Link in my 05 TL. I can make and receive calls fin. However when I can't listen to voice mails. If while listening to the voice mail on the iPhone I press the Audio button I can see that HandsFree Link is selected but the HandsFree Link is not engaged on the Acura. If I prss the Hands Free Link on the car and say "Transfer" I am told there is no call in process. Has anyone overcome this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

SM
I am having this same problem w/ my visual voicemail, has anyone found an answer. I am using the iPhone in an 05 TL. Thanks!

Backboard Man

Aug 15, 2008
when I make a call from the phone then I see the option to choose Handsfree Link, iPhone, or speaker. Choosing bluetooth Handsfree Link does not work for me. Pressing the talk button on the steering then saying, "transfer" will not work as well. Anyone having the same problem? I have a 2006 TL.

I'm having the same problem with 2006 TL. For some reason, I'm not able to see the other posts that replied. Can someone please enlighten me on what the fix is. I notice that the calls only transfer to the speakers once the call is answered and someone is speaking. The problem is that you have to hold the phone and listen and then push HANDSFREE to get it engaged. Not ideal to say the least. Doesn't go through if there's a busy signal. Thanks.

GE

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Just read that the new 2009 RL is going to have Bluetooth Audio capabilities. Now all we need is to have the iPhone go the same route
The 2009 TSX I currently drive has Bluetooth Audio. :laugh2:

I had a 2006 TL, and just by chance I upgraded to a 2009 TSX with the Technology package right before buying my iPhone 3G. It's super sweet. It comes with a USB port to keep my iPhone 3G charged and to listen to my iPod, Pandora, etc. Pairing was a snap and always works for me! And when the iPhone becomes A2DP compatible, I can listen to my iPhone wirelessly!

I highly recommend it.

psalvala

Sep 4, 2008
I can confirm this. It works great with my 07 TL. you can even import all your contacts into the car.

Can you give me instructions in how to import my contacts to the TL handsfreesystem?
does the hands free system restrict your contacts to 50 people?
Thanks
psalvala

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I'm having the same problem with 2006 TL. For some reason, I'm not able to see the other posts that replied. Can someone please enlighten me on what the fix is. I notice that the calls only transfer to the speakers once the call is answered and someone is speaking. The problem is that you have to hold the phone and listen and then push HANDSFREE to get it engaged. Not ideal to say the least. Doesn't go through if there's a busy signal. Thanks.

GE
Having the same problem with my wife's MDX and both of our iPhones. Both of which work flawlessly with my Camry.

Anyone know how to fix or work around this?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Going to bump this. Still having the problem whereby the calls don't go straight to the Handsfree. Anyone know the fix?

ashbyab

May 27, 2009
Acura 2005

I can go through the setup successfuly until the point: "what would you like to call this phone? At this point no matter what I call it, the ans i get is "the name" can be confused with; an then it repeats what I had called it and says to use a longer name, no matter what I do, it will not complete a successful pairing. I have tried to numerous times with the same result. Can anyone help me.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have a 2009 Acura TSX and so far I haven't been able to pair up iPhone 3.0 with Bluetooth Audio.

The normal Bluetooth for phone calling pairs up perfectly.

If anyone gets the Bluetooth Audio working, let me know.

klinus19

Jul 8, 2009

GE

I've had the exact same problem and it is extremely frustrating... Apple support was of no help. Did you happen to figure out a solution to keep the Handsfree Bluetooth option on the iPhone selected?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
This is the best I've been able to do, and this seems to be a workable solution:

I entered the most common numbers that we dial into the car's memory, (about a dozen) and assigned names to them. I then initiate the call via the car itself, i.e. "Call House." It works flawlessly.

Still bizarre that it won't work when the call is initiated from the phone. This is a luxury automobile. Same exact phone works flawlessly with my Prius, and did the same with my Camry which I had previously.

klinus19

Jul 8, 2009
I actually just talked to Apple yesterday and they said they've been getting a lot of calls about this issue and that they may try to address it in the next firmware release.

kbbuehler

Oct 27, 2009
2009 MDX iPhone contacts import

The Handsfree link will import the address book from my iPhone, but when I turn the car off, it disappears. All of my contacts on the iPhone are synced through Microsoft Exchage server from my Outlook. Is there some way that you have to add them to the actual phone's phonebook first?

capbli

Nov 24, 2009
Pairing problems

Acura MDX 2005 w/nav
iPhone 3G

I tried to pair this phone with my Acura and succeeded, but the system would only receive incoming calls, not outgoing.
Following advice from this site, I deleted all previous bluetooth connected phones (including iPhone), did a soft reset on the iPhone and attempted to pair again.
Nada
After turning off the car and doing another soft reset, phone would finally pair, but after giving the phone a name on the Handsfree in the car, it immediately lost the connection (several times)
Anybody got more ideas?

Bear29

Jan 11, 2010
Hi,

My dad has an Acura MDX 2008 and I setup the iPhone 3g on his car. It worked perfectly...you press the button, say call X and it calls.

Why does this work? I thought voice dialing was not enabled on 3g?

How do you get this to work with another device if you aren't lucky enough to have the Acura system? I created a different thread in where I asked this question so maybe answer there?

Thanks

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/voice-dial-through-bluetooth-works.50790/

Last edited by a moderator:

danielpdx

Jan 25, 2010
iPhone and Handsfree 2009 Acura MDX - Not BFFs, so sorry!

Gosh, I would have to offer a different experience. Callers often complain about not being able to hear me when I speak, and I almost have to adjust the seat to get closer to the microphone. There is often a significant feed delay in the parties hearing what each other is saying. I generally just pick up the phone, but now that OR has passed a hands-free requirement by law, I have to rely on technology. I approached the dealership, and they said nothing could be modified or changed. Maybe I should look past Beaverton for service.
I have tried looking on the iPhone to see if there are any nuances re: modifying the phone itself. Alas, there are none. I must thereforee modify my communication style, which blows because I'm a fast-thinker, and with this set-up, I have to talk a lot s l o w e r .

I bought the MDX in April of 2009, largely because it was so technologically hung. Sadly, when I want to have a converation with my friends, I have to keep the chit-chat to a minimum. People get tired of their cell minutes being eaten up by pausing between sentences. At times, my friends threaten to hang up when they hear I'm calling from the car. They say, "Oh no, you're carphoning! Stop that!" And I'm like, "I can't - I'm hands-free!" And then there's an awkward silence.

gatorparadise

Feb 15, 2010
Glad to hear of so many sucess stories with Acura and iPhone bluetooth. My 06 TL worked fine with previous phone but when I inhertited my husband's iPhone I have had lots of problems in pairing. We finally got it to pair at the dealership after a dozen or more attempts and recently I lost the pairing. Got it back for a day and lost it that night when I stated up the car. Took it to the same dealership and the service manager said Bluetooth told him they were having problem with certain iPhone models. After one hour and the service manager not being able to pair his own phone, they caved in and ordered the part to replace my bluetooth functionality. I might print this thread and take it to the service manager when they get the new part in.

pezdal

Jun 14, 2010
Audio Source Switches from HFL to iPhone

I have a problem using my iPhone 3GS with the Hands Free Link (HFL) of my 2009 ACURA TSX.

When dialing out from the iPhone, the call's Audio Source switches from "HandsFreeLink TM" to "iPhone" as soon as the call is answered by the other party.

I can press the HFL Audio source again a couple times and eventually get it to stay, but by then the other party has often hung up. :-(

I can instead press the car's Voice Command button and say "Transfer" after the call is connected, but this also involves a delay and is confusing to the other party.

Any advice would be appreciated.