Official iPhone Software Update 1.0.2 Discussion

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I did and had to do a restore! :mad:
Here's an explanation from iPhone Atlas: we are being forced to upgrade and erase our hard-to-acquire hacks:

"Apple has released iPhone Update 1.0.2, which can be installed connecting your iPhone to your Mac or Windows system, then selecting the iPhone in iTunes and clicking the “Update” button.

Apple’s cryptic release notes state “this version of the software includes bug fixes and supersedes all previous versions.”

The download is 3.7 MB, and will be automatically applied by iTunes.

Will erase hacks"

Note that on one of our in-house iPhones that had been hacked to allow third-party application installation via the Installer.app single-command method failed to properly receive the update. The phone was forced into recovery mode, after which it had to be restored. This eliminated all non-apple-sanctioned modification on the device, including the presense of Installer.app and other third-party applications

This is because the iPhone software update performs a validation process on the device, which will fail if it has been jailbroken (a required step in the hacking process). When validation fails, the phone is put into recovery mode, and a restore must be performed. This will also force iTunes to download the “restore” version of the 1.0.2 software update, which is just under 92MB.

Now, if I really knew what that update did other than getting me frustrated...

eric325

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Just updated mine with no problem. I still have my ringtone from iPhoneringtonemaker. Takes about 3 mins.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
man there is no way I'm doing that update. If you guys say I just HAVE to do it, then maybe. But Ive got that simpsons theme on my phone and it took DAYS to figure that stuff out. God I don't want to do that stupid "update" that updates nothing.

coryt87

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
I agree with OJ, I am not updating with all of this negative feedback I'm hearing. I like my ringtones and such :)

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
iPhone Software Update 1.02 - Post your noticed changes here!

I've been looking for an hour and I haven't found anything new. I suggest that anyone who notices something new (hopefully an improvement!) posts in here.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Just updated mine with no problem. I still have my ringtone from iPhoneringtonemaker. Takes about 3 mins.
You know, it really pisses me off that PC users are getting a better deal out of this. I've been using Macs since 1994. OK, I've used PC's, and it still won't make me change platforms, but why is it that "they" have a better deal with the iPhone than "we" do. Hey, Apple, wake up and tend to your children!

Eiko

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
WiFi is WAY faster ... 2x here as a matter of fact. Was getting a typical 1,400 before, now over 3,500.

I've tried to crash Safari, no "luck" so far.

switching between apps "seems" faster/snappier.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I'd never modded mine.....

And still it forced me to spend 2 hours recovering, syncing etc..... I had once used Jailbreak to change nothing (just to set it worked and put the system back in to the clink) and, like I stated, iFuntastic still works... If I could find the benefit.................

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
WiFi is WAY faster ... 2x here as a matter of fact. Was getting a typical 1,400 before, now over 3,500.

I've tried to crash Safari, no "luck" so far.

switching between apps "seems" faster/snappier.
That's because we have 3G now! Do you see the 3G icon on the upper left?

j/k. how are you guys testing your wifi speed?

D-

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I've been looking for an hour and I haven't found anything new. I suggest that anyone who notices something new (hopefully an improvement!) posts in here.
I've noticed that I'm more irritable in the past few hours, clenching my teeth, and occasionally voicing colorful metaphors. Does it count? (I got forced to restore without asking for my opinion first, then I had to reinstall everything, including my beloved ringtones).

Zorn

Jun 25, 2007
Columbus, OH
The update erased my contacts in the process of applying/syncing, even though I haven't done any hacks of any sort on my phone.

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I notice that music can be played much louder through the external speakers without much if any distortion at high volumes (EQ is set to off)

before I would hear distortion at high volumes.

check it out, is it just me?

D-

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So, if I read this right, the updates brings on:

1. Possibly louder volume (not that I've noticed)

2. Possibly smoother Safari scrolling (not that I've noticed)

3. Various problems on all kinds of phones, including hacked ones and non-hacked ones

4. Forceful push into recovery mode and restore-without-asking (my experience)

Somebody better come out with some wonderful enhancement that nobody has discovered yet.

Was it worth wasting all my evening going back to what I had before?

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
So has anyone with Windows XP/Vista tried re-modding their iPhone yet using jailbreak (custom ringtones & system sounds)? Will it allow you to or is it now restricted?