Official iPhone Software Update 1.0.2 Discussion

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
I've noticed that I'm more irritable in the past few hours, clenching my teeth, and occasionally voicing colorful metaphors. Does it count? (I got forced to restore without asking for my opinion first, then I had to reinstall everything, including my beloved ringtones).

Should have known that this was possible when you modded your iPhone.

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
Things I have noticed:

1. Music and web surfing work together without music crashing... ITS ABOUT TIME! (thank you Apple)

2. Wifi seems to connect MUCH faster and stays connected.

3. I was able to remod my phone with no problems

4. My phone was well modded before the update and I didn't get a single error (I made sure to restore BEFORE I even tried to update because I knew it would make me do that anyway).

5. Scrolling in safari is MUCH SMOOTHER while pages are loading
My phone looks like it did before now that I modded it again (I am getting pretty quick at modding now) and has the new update.

6. Speaker volume is MUCH louder and clearer (at least for me)

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Uhm the first updwte wwas for security which did nothing and the second one didn't do much either
You sure about that? Might want to read through the 1.0.1 Update thread.

If 1.0.2 Update didn't do much, what did it really do? I betting that "bug fixes" can cover a lot of things.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i had no problems with the update. i synced my iPhone beforehand (just in case i did have to do a restore), downloaded the update and installed it. NO RESTORE for me, though i didn't do anything special to avoid it. i had not modded my iPhone in any way.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Very LITTLE was changed with this update.

"Alright, here's the skinny on what's changed in the new iPhone firmware (1.0.2):

- /private/var/db/localtime has been changed from a file to a symlink, looks like a fix related to time zones.

- The kernel caches in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/ have been changed. So a few changes in the kernel. The new kernels are actually smaller by about 6 kilobytes.

- The Info.plist for the Multitouch driver in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMultitouchSPI.kext has been changed. This corresponds with what appears to be reprogrammed multitouch firmware, possibly fixing some multitouch issues for some.

- A few files have been rearranged, for the IOKit, MultitouchSupport, OfficeImport, and System frameworks (/System/Library/Frameworks). Looks like they've replaced some static folders with symlinks into the Versions folder of each framework. Possibly a backward compatibility move? I'm just thinking out loud here. Might just be a "prettiness" upgrade for the iPhone devs at Apple.

- dtmf-#.aif and dtmf-*.aif in the TelephonyUI framework have both been changed. I have no idea why; the sound files that play when you hit * and # on the phone keypad are in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds, not with the TelephonyUI framework. New files are about 4kb smaller.

- /usr/libexec/lockdownd has been changed, now it's 8 bytes longer. I'll infer that there was only one bug fixed in the Lockdown daemon, possibly addressing some synchronization or activation issues.

What does all this mean?

- No new application features, and no new applications.
- A few bug fixes but nothing major.

All in all a disappointing update. Let's hope the next one brings us some more finger candy to chew on.

Lastly, I have updated iBrickr to work with the new firmware. Check it out if you have Windows and want an easy way to install ringtones and apps..."
http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/iphone-firmware-102-released-and-analyzed-hopes-for-new-features

I installed it, and of course had to restore because of mods. But this time I used iBrickr to get it out of jail. Worked well.

--
Mike

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Phone locked up in the morning after evening update!

I downloaded 1.0.2 last night. My phone did the usual power down and re-boot after the install. It seemed to go ok... made several calls... looked at all aps, no changes noted. Put my phone in it's dock... the phone alarm went off this morning at the usual time. After I turned the alarm off, the phone locked up... nothing... home key didn't work, sleep key didn't work... Called Apple support. They had me do a "soft" re-boot and all seems ok now. They didn't seem to have a clue as to what might have happeneded. Anyone else had this problem. BTW, the "soft re-boot" doesn't erase any of your data.
Thanks, Paul

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Very LITTLE was changed with this update.

http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/iphone-firmware-102-released-and-analyzed-hopes-for-new-features

I installed it, and of course had to restore because of mods. But this time I used iBrickr to get it out of jail. Worked well.

--
Mike
I seriously doubt the "prettiness upgrade" for Apple dev's comment. A company like Apple would not release changes to the phones of the masses at this early critical stage just for the sake of code prettiness. I suspect it's prepping for changes to come (e.g., support for multiple versions) or that it is fixing a bug (e.g., some code relied on the the specific version directory scheme and was not working properly because the directories weren't set up properly).

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I am curious why Apple does not release what was fixed. Why do we have to guess for a number of days till it leaks out what was fixed? It certainly is known what was fixed by Apple. So, I am reluctant to update until I read that something was actually in the update that I desire. I have everything working and looking very nice. I will wait for some list of bug fixes.....
Many companies do this. They figure if the problems fixed weren't highly publicized, why publicize that you had them when you fix them?

Even when you hear announcements of what's been fixed, those are usually the big, known problems. Many other small fixes get slipped in without being announced.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Just because the update doesn't do anything very visible, doesn't mean that it did nothing. There is cost as well as risk involved in releasing updates (i.e., a small percentage of users might have update issues and require support or at the very least be very upset), so companies are not going to release updates that are worthless. They could be fixing security problems or performance/lockup problems. They often do not publicize the issues fixed if they weren't highly publicized to begin with.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
So far, Ive seen one visual change. While viewing an email. If you look to the top right of the screen, you will see an up and down arrow, so you can see each email without going to the previous screen. I think its new atleast? I don't remember that being there.
Im still on 1.0 and that feature is still available. :)

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
So far, Ive seen one visual change. While viewing an email. If you look to the top right of the screen, you will see an up and down arrow, so you can see each email without going to the previous screen. I think its new atleast? I don't remember that being there.
Nope. I have not updated yet and I have those arrows.

I am still waiting to read about some improvement that makes this update worth while to do. I am sticking with 1.0.1 and the mods I have.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
no noticeable differences here. i have noticed my phone runs slightly less sluggish than before the install, but that may not have anything to do with the update.

311miT311

Aug 13, 2007
someone said their update was only like 3.2 MB? the one ive "been" downloading is like 91.2 MB and its taking forever....not enjoying this...

Eiko

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
All I can say is as of the update, the wifi speeds are in fact better, unless the two tests I use were changed in some way on the same day as the release. I've checked speed 10+ times since the update and the results are the same... 2x (or better) than the week before, on the same network connection (with no changes).

311miT311

Aug 13, 2007
have you installed the first update? maybe it is downloading it as well as the second update?
no i alrdy downloaded the first one.... maybe they are givin me all the cool apps no one else got!? ahaha doubt it but still, this is a big update apparantly