Official iPhone Software Update 1.0.2 Discussion

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
no i alrdy downloaded the first one.... maybe they are givin me all the cool apps no one else got!? ahaha doubt it but still, this is a big update apparantly
haha yeah maybe that's it. actually this update is only 3.7 MB. If i were you I'd close out iTunes and start the download over.

311miT311

Aug 13, 2007
haha yeah maybe that's it. actually this update is only 3.7 MB. If i were you I'd close out iTunes and start the download over.
son of a b*tch haha
after waiting for like 45 minutes, i decided to close down iTunes and reopen it.... just pressed restore because i was doing that anways... and now im back to waiting 45 minutes for that 91.2 MB update... aggie- u rock! haha just messin

311miT311

Aug 13, 2007
weird.. i cancelled it again, and just clicked update not restore.. and voila! 3.7MB of update almost done! wonder if thats just how it is during restore...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
weird.. i cancelled it again, and just clicked update not restore.. and voila! 3.7MB of update almost done! wonder if thats just how it is during restore...
that is weird. mine just downloaded and was done in about 3 minutes. i haven't done any mods to my phone, not even ringtones since 1.0.1 restored my phone. maybe that has something to do with it.

311miT311

Aug 13, 2007
that is weird. mine just downloaded and was done in about 3 minutes. i haven't done any mods to my phone, not even ringtones since 1.0.1 restored my phone. maybe that has something to do with it.
i have no idea, i don't have any mods or anything so who knows.. just finished the update though and its all good... still having trouble connecting to my wifi at my house though:(

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm thinking that the new update might be to address things like the shaky bluetooth connectivity some users seem to be experiencing. It's pure speculation, but would make sense since they just released the Apple headset just a couple weeks (or less) ago. Remember a lot of people were complaining about static and unpairing. I am curious to see if anyone is still having those problems after the 1.0.2 update. That's lost revenue when your trying to sell an expensive accessory, and they keep getting returned due to piss-poor performance.
I also think that there might be a little better battery management code in there. Again pure speculation, but would make sense.

Unlike Microsoft, I believe that Apple is going to address everything with the core OS first, before putting any additional apps or features out there, so I highly doubt that there will be anything noticeable for the next couple updates - unless they actually publicly announce new features with the update.

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
Ok for those with modded phones who did the update, did you lose your contacts? Is there a way I can back up my contacts before updating so I don't lose them?
I don't mind remodding the phone again since now I know how to do it, it will go a lot faster than the last time :) But I do NOT want to re add my contacts one by one again, that was a pain in my butt!

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Ok for those with modded phones who did the update, did you lose your contacts? Is there a way I can back up my contacts before updating so I don't lose them?
I don't mind remodding the phone again since now I know how to do it, it will go a lot faster than the last time :) But I do NOT want to re add my contacts one by one again, that was a pain in my butt!
You can back up your contacts in iTunes. Simply, look under the info tab of the iPhone and check the contacts box. When it asks, select MERGE info do not replace anything.

HDS

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Atlanta
www.captnjacksparrow.com
Ok, I think I have found a change the update made.

Email: I have 3 accounts setup on my iphoine but I check them individually so not to have to go through them all. Well now when I go to the root email list it auto checks them all without going into the accounts.

umcanesin08

Jul 13, 2007
well i just took the plunge and it is installing, im affraid to check back because I used Ifuntastic but will have to eventually. Did anyone else who used that just for ringtones have to restore? please say no

EDIT: well apparently i didn't get lucky, it says there was an error and the iPhone has to be restored =(

rasputinj

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I will wait until tonight to do the update, I just finished installing apps last night and will need to have an hour or so to do ringtones, custom dialer, icons, ringtones, alerts, and apps again.

When I did 1.0.1 I lost EDGE and Visual Voicemail for a day.

shawnhimself

Jul 16, 2007
iLife
For those on the month-to-month plans, the account balance used to flash after every transaction and it was extremely annoying. Mine hasn't done it since the update...

fosterhere

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Cold Spring on Hudson, NY
man there is no way I'm doing that update. If you guys say I just HAVE to do it, then maybe. But Ive got that simpsons theme on my phone and it took DAYS to figure that stuff out. God I don't want to do that stupid "update" that updates nothing.
This whole thing baffles my freaking mind. WHY WHY WHY is a silly ringtone so important that anyone would spend so much time and effort only to have it reset every time a valid OEM update becomes available. :eek:

I mean if you told me there was a hack that gave me C&P, or a hack that would support flash, or picture messaging, or download content directly from iTunes, then I would be hacking my ever loving A$$ off. But for a simpson ringtone naaaaaaaaa I don't think so.

My update took 30 sec, no noticeable improvement but then again I never dread updates cause I have not hacked my iPhone ;)

darrinsden

Jul 19, 2007
one of the big things that I have noticed, is the suppression of att messages for data transactions

on a goplan for the moment till we switch to a family plan, so hated everytime i checked mail over edge, i would get a message saying that i had used $0.00 in that transaction and would have to dismiss it..

still get it with calls though..

Darrin

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I seriously doubt the "prettiness upgrade" for Apple dev's comment. A company like Apple would not release changes to the phones of the masses at this early critical stage just for the sake of code prettiness. I suspect it's prepping for changes to come (e.g., support for multiple versions)...
Seems like splitting hairs to me.

--
Mike

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
I don't know about you guys but this is what I've noticed:

-Better wi-fi speed, stable connection, less Safari crashes

-Late night/early morning (lengthy phone sessions) more stable, less failed calls (usually at certain times in the late night/early morning I'd get "CALL FAILED") It might just be my neighborhood, I live like 5-10 miles away from the Oakland International Airport.

-Louder speakers with headphones during phone session

HDS

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Atlanta
www.captnjacksparrow.com
Posted to the software but heres what I found

Email: I have 3 accounts setup on my iphoine but I check them individually so not to have to go through them all. Well now when I go to the root email list it auto checks them all without going into the accounts.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Posted to the software but heres what I found

I haven't installed 1.02 yet, but mine has been doing that same email check all along. Sounds like a setting may have simply gotten changed on your phone during the update - this apparently is not a new feature.