Official iPhone Software Update 1.01 Discussion

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007

brittt1

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
From 1.0.1 to 1.0.9 it's always part of 1.1, maybe you talk about the Software Update window, that's more accurate than iTunes, I don't know, I'm wondering...
You are correct that 1.0.1 is part of 1.1 (bundled) but it doesn't stop at 1.0.9 you could have a 1.0.50 or 1.0.104 (that when you know you have a buggy software product)

X releases are generally major functional releases
X.X releases are functionality releases (scheduled maint releases, generally quarterly based)
X.X.X releases are generally referred to as Efixes/Patches

So to answer the original question, Either Apple have just released 1.1 right after 1.0.1 or someone made a mistake in the config file that the popup message is reading from. I swear when this message came up for me last night it read '1.0.1' not as the screenshot shows in the previous posts.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Ok sorry if this has been posted but I couldn't go through 20 pages. Something new I noticed is when your screen is locked, the date now shows along with the time, rather than the time itself. This was always a pain in 1.0 because to find out the date I would have to unlock it and go into the calendar.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Ok sorry if this has been posted but I couldn't go through 20 pages. Something new I noticed is when your screen is locked, the date now shows along with the time, rather than the time itself. This was always a pain in 1.0 because to find out the date I would have to unlock it and go into the calendar.
Mine has always displayed the date. When I go to the bank I always hit the button on the phone to see the date so I can fill in the deposit slip... that's why I remember.

I think a lot of this ultra minor "features" people are reporting changed are features that have always been there but due to scrutinization brought about by people looking for changes in this patch, they're just being noticed.

Giies

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
It's kind of crazy that the install didn't catch the MP3 files I put there using iPhoneringtonemaker but it catches changes made by Jailbreak. I wonder how the guys who publish iPhoneringtonemaker get those MP3's to the phone without Apple being able to find out about it. :)

Good job guys!
yeah i was worried that i just spend $10 for nothing, and turn out the mp3 ring tone is still in there.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Mine has always displayed the date. When I go to the bank I always hit the button on the phone to see the date so I can fill in the deposit slip... that's why I remember.

I think a lot of this ultra minor "features" people are reporting changed are features that have always been there but due to scrutinization brought about by people looking for changes in this patch, they're just being noticed.
Not the three I reported. There is no doubt that BCC is new, passcode functionality is new, and that, at least with my AP/router, the DNS bug is fixed.

And I am sure there is more...

--
Mike

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Not the three I reported. There is no doubt that BCC is new, passcode functionality is new, and that, at least with my AP/router, the DNS bug is fixed.

--
Mike
Someone reported that their Exchange sync was fixed after the patch yet mine still doesn't work and many others have said theirs isn't either.

It's stuff like that... the BCC feature isn't something I would use, so I don't know. I wasn't having any problem with my DNS before the patch, so again I don't know. As for the passcode, I never use the feature... so once again, I don't know.

What I do know is that the date has always been there for me... and my Exchange sync still doesn't work. Someone reported louder volume, mine is the same.

The list goes on.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

--
Mike
From PC World article:

Although Apple is publicizing the security bent of this update, the update actually packs other tweaks. A discussion thread on Apple's forum details many of the changes users are noticing over there. Reports are flying that users are no longer experiences crashes while browsing and playing music, and that there's a noticeable improvement in volume level. Another tweak: You can now manually drag content to the iPhone in iTunes.

Anyone notice volume level improvements?

Here's the link: http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005038.html

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
In 1.0.1, mine now says BCC. So it isn't always visible when you compose a message to someone but it will still send you a copy. So it must be a new feature but it's weird that it isn't mentioned in any of the new documentation. And also strange that there isn't a BCC OPTION for RECIPIENTS but ONLY for the SELF SENDING. Maybe it was released by accident?
People are looking in 2 different places. mail/settings shows BCC MYSELF ON/OFF. If you go into the account and send a mail message then it only has CC someone.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
So I had about 30% battery before the restore. After it was applied and restarted I had about 15-20%. Seems weird. I'm charging now so I'll see how this affects overall battery strength if at all. Maybe they fixed the battery bug that filled so many forums
Mine seemed to do the same thing. I noticed it was a lot lower.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
People are looking in 2 different places. mail/settings shows BCC MYSELF ON/OFF. If you go into the account and send a mail message then it only has CC someone.
Doesn't matter: without a doubt "Always Cc myself" changed to "Always Bcc myself" in the Mail Settings screen. And it has changed the operation of the mail app.

insocal was merely mentioning that since you can't see Bcc when composing an email message you don't see that you will be Bcc'ing yourself. Prior to this update if "Always Cc myself" was on you would see your name in the CC line.

--
Mike

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
Another minor change...

When an SMS message preview pops up while the phone is asleep instead of the menu underneath with the ignore/view options, you instead just get the slider with a 'slide to view' message.

Strange the things they have been working on and decided to include in this update. I guess it's good that they are sweating the little details as much as (and I'm assuming here) the bigger stuff. The continually improving nature of this phone is to me one of its most appealing and most revolutionary features.
Mike
WHAT? No more pop up view to see if its important, but now you must look at it to view it? :/