Official iPhone Software Update 1.01 Discussion

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I swear, before this update my iPhone worked flawlessly. Not a single problem. Since I performed the update, it freezes at random times. Once, when it went to the home screen there weren't even any icons on the bottom.

I have not hacked a single thing or modded a single thing.

Anyone else's get buggy after the update?
you may have to re-restore. Something went wrong. Mine works like a champ. And just for the record I had mine nodded and my restore only took about ten mins or so. Closer to fifteen but certainly no lags in that process like I'm hearing about. Just try it again.

headtowall

Aug 3, 2007
you may have to re-restore. Something went wrong. Mine works like a champ. And just for the record I had mine nodded and my restore only took about ten mins or so. Closer to fifteen but certainly no lags in that process like I'm hearing about. Just try it again.

Ok, fair enough. I'll give it a try today. Thanks for the advice.

pmaddock3

Jul 9, 2007
My Wifi Finally Catches My Router

Interesting thing that I noticed after the update - my phone now catches my home wireless router. Before the update, it would recognize the router, but would keep reverting to the EDGE network. Now my phone catches my router and stays with it, thus increasing my surfing pleasure on the iPhone at home. I am quite happy with this change.

PM

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I just found out that if you are on a call with a BT headset and you start to play music, you can hear the music through your BT headset. As soon as the call ended the music started playing via iPhone speaker. Can anyone say if this happen before the update?
I also found out how to get the sounds/music to go through the BT with out having a call come in. Just go to PHONE/VOICEMAIL and set the audio to the BT headset. When you now play music you hear it in the BT headset. You also hear the beeps when you get email and text messages. When a call comes in it will stop the music and you can talk to the person, then the music starts back again but it won't play in the BT headset after that. Apple really needs to fix it so you have the option of listing to your music in your BT headset.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I swear, before this update my iPhone worked flawlessly. Not a single problem. Since I performed the update, it freezes at random times. Once, when it went to the home screen there weren't even any icons on the bottom.

I have not hacked a single thing or modded a single thing.

Anyone else's get buggy after the update?
Mine froze for the first time ever post update. Kind of sucks.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Interesting thing that I noticed after the update - my phone now catches my home wireless router. Before the update, it would recognize the router, but would keep reverting to the EDGE network. Now my phone catches my router and stays with it, thus increasing my surfing pleasure on the iPhone at home. I am quite happy with this change.

PM
I still have that problem with most of the public networks I hit. It didn't fix this for me. It's always worked at home, but here in my town the city has free wireless internet access downtown. My laptop does fine with it but my iPhone doesn't. When I connect to it, it shows that it has an IP address and it says that it's connected yet it doesn't pass data... all websites time out. This is the case with most public networks that are unlocked that I've encountered. Probably half of them don't work for my iPhone.

headtowall

Aug 3, 2007
Ok, fair enough. I'll give it a try today. Thanks for the advice.
so, I almost started the restore, but was freightened by the message saying that everything would be erased. I'm just concerned about my calendar and contacts. It will put those back on the device, right?

I don't use outlook or anything, so the device is the only place I keep this information.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
so, I almost started the restore, but was freightened by the message saying that everything would be erased. I'm just concerned about my calendar and contacts. It will put those back on the device, right?

I don't use outlook or anything, so the device is the only place I keep this information.
Since you don't use Outlook or anything to store your contacts or calendar, it will be lost.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Since you don't use Outlook or anything to store your contacts or calendar, it will be lost.
Are you sure about this? I don't use anything to sync my contacts and doing a backup and restore put everything back no problem for me. The only thing I had to do after was put in all my passwords again. It even saved all my settings.

headtowall

Aug 3, 2007
Are you sure about this? I don't use anything to sync my contacts and doing a backup and restore put everything back no problem for me. The only thing I had to do after was put in all my passwords again. It even saved all my settings.
I thought that was the whole point. That iTunes would save that stuff. I mean, what would someone do with a loaner phone? I have been unable to find anything about this on the Apple site, but I really thought that was what was supposed to happen. I may try this later today. Its just not worth losing this data.

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Yeah both the BT headset and the phone

I also found out how to get the sounds/music to go through the BT with out having a call come in. Just go to PHONE/VOICEMAIL and set the audio to the BT headset. When you now play music you hear it in the BT headset. You also hear the beeps when you get email and text messages. When a call comes in it will stop the music and you can talk to the person, then the music starts back again but it won't play in the BT headset after that. Apple really needs to fix it so you have the option of listing to your music in your BT headset.
Yup you can now play music that way. But the iPhone with no headphones attached plays out of the unit's speakers. And it sounds a lot better than the muddy noise coming from the BT headpiece. It's actually funny to hear the music from both and the iPhone sounds better.

No doubt the better AM radio station option for music.:sick:

headtowall

Aug 3, 2007
yeah but seems like a lame implementation. Unless I missed something, there wasn't a way to skip between pages. I was reading Apple's iPhone manual fron their website. While it looked sharp, i had to manually scroll through the pages. I was very surprised that i couldnt jump to whatever page i wanted.

So, did I miss something?

gnabgibeht

Jul 1, 2007
san jose, CA
updated! no problems, didn't have to restore anything, ringtones are still there, one thing i did noticed is the usage thing works again, when i charged my iPhone, it showed that it was 100% charged as of before the update it never showed on the green battery that it was full, so i guess they fixed that. haven't had any problems at all, now Apple needs to work on a better update rather than just minor / security fixes

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
I've been reading through several of these pages.

I have yet to actually go through this new update, but based on what I've read from users, I'm HIGHLY skeptical about updating my iPhone. It works just great the way it is now and there's too much to risk...

Sounds like there are lots of glitches and other problematic behavior with the iPhone post-update.

I have movie, audio, calendar and contacts on my iPhone that ARE NOT backed up and I can't afford to lost those things... they're too important for me...

Hopefully Apple can fix some of this stuff to alleviate these problems because I think there are lots of people in the same boat as I am (ie. irreplaceable files and such)...

:((((((((((((((((((((

Bummed out!.....................

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
?

Why in the world wouldn't you back up your iPhone stuff? I do it every day. If something goes wrong, you just restore and reinstall everything in 20 minutes.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I updated and now I regret it. My safari had only crashed once the first day I got the phone, I restored and never did it again.
Now after updating it has crashed several times on me and I restore but continues to crash. I do not like this one bit.
Also before i could put in the individual days i needed something repeated in the calander, for example, soccer practice Tues. & Thurs. now I have to put it in on Tuesday and repeat weekly, then Thursday and repeat weekly. Before the calendar would let me pick the days Tues. and Thurs. And I still can't get Outlook calendar to sync which everyone says this improved with update. Mine still says "iPhone is not connected" when I sync the calendar.
My phone was fine before! UUGGGHHHH!
:(

pcar993

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I updated and now I regret it. My safari had only crashed once the first day I got the phone, I restored and never did it again.
Now after updating it has crashed several times on me and I restore but continues to crash. I do not like this one bit.
Also before i could put in the individual days i needed something repeated in the calander, for example, soccer practice Tues. & Thurs. now I have to put it in on Tuesday and repeat weekly, then Thursday and repeat weekly. Before the calendar would let me pick the days Tues. and Thurs. And I still can't get Outlook calendar to sync which everyone says this improved with update. Mine still says "iPhone is not connected" when I sync the calendar.
My phone was fine before! UUGGGHHHH!
:(

DITTO - my iPhone was far better prior to the update.