Official iPhone Software Update 2.1 Discussion

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
After a full day's worth of use, heavy use, my phone still has over the 20% warning left in it.
Been using very heavily since about 9:45am, Friday.

Notes: Contacts seems to come right up when started. It does come up fast, and seems to pop up on the names you were looking at when you last used it. it used to start blank, load all the names, and go to the top of list, if I remember correctly. This happens even if you power down/power up.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I did also notice 'screenshot' now makes a camera frame sound when you use it. Used to be silent on my phone before.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
On Long Island -3g signal, drove and lost signal and "NO Service" until I manually turned off 3G - way to go Apple
The biggest test was at my friends house in upper brookville, no one ever has service around the area, had 2-3 bars in his house I couldn't believe it, and for the most part the whole day it was pegged on 5 bars! 3g is finally worth while and so damn fast, all the lag is gone out of my phone, I'm satisfied!

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
I'm in love again with my iPhone EDGE.

Its been a frustrating couple of months for me. A totally unstable phone. I'd given up on using the apps store out of fear of a reset and it being stuck on the Apple boot screen. Laggy. Just not a fun phone to use anymore.

Then this update. Downloaded apps are ready to go in 30 seconds and stable. No lag. My stable and awesome iPhone is back.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Yes. It's on First Gen iPhones and works just fine. Go to playlists and select Genius. It will prompt you to select a song from your library. When you do, Genius will create a new Genius playlist based on that song. Works great for quick playlists.
Hi ColsTiger,

I evidently am missing something bcause when I go to iPod on th phone, hit Playlists, I only see "On The Go", "90's Music", "Recently Added", etc. Do I have to do something in iTunes first before it shows up on my iPhone ? Thanks for your reply. Cheers !

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hi ColsTiger,

I evidently am missing something bcause when I go to iPod on th phone, hit Playlists, I only see "On The Go", "90's Music", "Recently Added", etc. Do I have to do something in iTunes first before it shows up on my iPhone ? Thanks for your reply. Cheers !
Sync your phone again and it will show up. I am assuming you have iTunes 8 already.

iPhidibus

Mar 8, 2008
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but on my v1 phone, the square box is gone around the E signifying Edge. Now, just the E.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well... I finally did the deed. I'm really happy I skipped that whole 2.0.x fiasco, because my transition from 1.1.4 to 2.1 was flawless, and I'm a happy boy. 2.1 looked so good, I'm willing to go stock for a week or so just to finally try it! And I'm glad I did... observations:

1. The lag is more than gone, 2.1 is actually faster than 1.1.4.
2. Apps open faster (the little zoom-in/out effect is faster)
3. Safari is more efficient. Pages render faster and are scrollable/zoomable faster.
4. Everything is LOUDER! I've compared to my wife's 1.1.4 and everything seems brighter and clearer through the built-in speaker.
5. No crashing.

I'm finally having fun in the appstore. I feel like I slept through Christmas...

So anyway, 2.1 gets a huge thumbs-up from me. Looks like Apple nailed it.

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
not sure if mentioned but when you update APPS they stay where you originally placed them.
It's kinda freaky how it does it, too. It "installs" at the last page like it used to, but when it's done it disappears from that temporary location and gets moved back to where it was.

Totally awesome. I just spent the morning alphabatizing all my apps (until 2.1 is jailbroken and I can go back to Categories)

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Did anyone notice that while listening to music and surfing the web makes the track skip? Or it could possibly be my schools extremely slow wifi. (hope it's the wifi) I'm back on EDGE and haven't had it happen it me yet.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Did anyone notice that while listening to music and surfing the web makes the track skip? Or it could possibly be my schools extremely slow wifi. (hope it's the wifi) I'm back on EDGE and haven't had it happen it me yet.
I've had this happen a lot. Guess is a little bug ,its not that big of a deal, but yes it does skip while web browsing and listening to music.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
I know this may sound crazy but... after installing the update I could not tell any difference with lag problems. When I would go to contacts it still had a lot of lag time. Today... it is almost instantaneous. That I really like! I will say that I have not had ANY email problems yet.
Tg