Official iPhone Sofware Update 2.2 Discussion

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, once your contract is up you should automatically go month to month on whatever your contract plan was. As far as MMS and Copy/Paste... Don't hold your breath. If anything, I would hazard a guess that it might happen at MacWorld 09.
But as far as whether or not to get an iPhone? I can only tell you from personal experience that there is nothing out there that is really going to compare to how the iPhone functions, features, network connectivity... and I could go on.
Although it missed a couple marks as far as some features that should have been standard, it still is THE phone to own for those that want to stay connected. When my V1 died on me and I had to go back to temporarily using my old Nokia 6620, I was crushed at everything I was missing not having my iPhone. Use one for a month and then go back to your previous phone and you might understand.
I would tell you that unless you are willing to wait till summer for the next version, go ahead and get an iPhone 3G now.

NoRegrets78

Jul 25, 2008
2.2 messed my phone up big time. Phone charged all night, did the upgrade this morning. It's now 250 and i just realized my battery is COMPLETELY dead. WTF? Gonna try a backup and restore see if that fixes it.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
When you have the phone in "code after lock" security mode(when you don't want a preview of the SMS's coming in), the phone will now display the name of the person texting you above "New Text Message". Pretty convenient.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I updated both iTunes and my iPhone and there's definitely an improvement but in all honesty I really miss having MMS capabilities so much so that Im thinking of terminating my contract going back to Verizon and purchasing the Blackberry Storm. It's not that I don't like my iPhone, I do its just that if Im going to pay the same amount on a monthly basis why not get a phone thats going to completely fulfill all my needs rather than just a few.

Aaron

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I updated both iTunes and my iPhone and there's definitely an improvement but in all honesty I really miss having MMS capabilities so much so that Im thinking of terminating my contract going back to Verizon and purchasing the Blackberry Storm. It's not that I don't like my iPhone, I do its just that if Im going to pay the same amount on a monthly basis why not get a phone thats going to completely fulfill all my needs rather than just a few.

I did not like the touch screen on the storm. Clicking it was a pain in the butt. If I got to play with it a little more I might be tempted but we will wait and see. I just love my iPhone too much!

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I did not like the touch screen on the storm. Clicking it was a pain in the butt. If I got to play with it a little more I might be tempted but we will wait and see. I just love my iPhone too much!
Thanks Aaron I really appreciate the info. I'm not going to jump on the Blackberry Storm band wagon just yet. Like anything else there's going to be bugs and I'd like to see how the people who have made the leap like it first.

We'll see how things look after the Christmas and if it gets positive reviews I'll bite the bullet sometime after the first of the year.

NoRegrets78

Jul 25, 2008
Update: Apparently there is something wrong because when i connected to iTunes at work it said i had to restore. WTF?

Viral

Nov 21, 2008
another thing i think would be cool is if we could do movies/tv like they are now doing podcasts. it would be great if a person was stuck somewhere like the airport without their computer or the proper connection and they could rent/buy a movie on the phone.
While it's not exactly the same thing, why not grab Orb from the App store. For $10 you can watch Live TV and view every video, movie, tv show, song and photo you have on your home PC. It's pretty freaking awesome.

TV Tuner + Bittorrent + Orb = an unlimited amount of streaming content on your iPhone anytime.

In addition, MMS is coming soon to the iPhone from other carriers, and via 3rd party apps. It's just a matter of time now...

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Well, once your contract is up you should automatically go month to month on whatever your contract plan was. As far as MMS and Copy/Paste... Don't hold your breath. If anything, I would hazard a guess that it might happen at MacWorld 09.
But as far as whether or not to get an iPhone? I can only tell you from personal experience that there is nothing out there that is really going to compare to how the iPhone functions, features, network connectivity... and I could go on.
Although it missed a couple marks as far as some features that should have been standard, it still is THE phone to own for those that want to stay connected. When my V1 died on me and I had to go back to temporarily using my old Nokia 6620, I was crushed at everything I was missing not having my iPhone. Use one for a month and then go back to your previous phone and you might understand.
I would tell you that unless you are willing to wait till summer for the next version, go ahead and get an iPhone 3G now.
Agreed, for sure... and after seeing the reviews of the LG Incite... well, that phone is just... meh. I'll have to give the Samsung Instinct a hands-on next week when I head back to the ATT store. :)

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
Update

Just did the update. All went well no problems. Even did a pod cast over straight 3G. A litlle slow for 5 mega but way cool

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I live on the very edge of a 3G area and have never been able to use 3G. However, after updating to 2.2, I've had a strong 3G signal in my house. If that's the case, then the update is already worth it to me...:)

vip

Jul 10, 2008
anyone ready to ditch the iPhone 3g for the g1?

i am feeling it.... why has Apple taken so long to deliver us PUSH and all the other goodies we want?

it seems that the g1 is living to the hype...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
anyone ready to ditch the iPhone 3g for the g1?
You are kidding right? Sorry, but I got to play with one and it's a big clunky brick, and the display model was already broken- the track guide piece for when you "open and Close" the display. It was just being held together with the arm piece.
The G1 OS might have some nice features, but with each new release of any "iPhone Killer", the more and more I am glad i have an iPhone.

projectdarkside

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
The g1 is just a touchscreen sidekick with it's only unique feature being that it's open source :p
-I went to the tmobile store to just play with the G1 and it felt bulky and crazily ackward to use the keyboard haha ya know with the "lip" and all. The screen isn't as responsive as the iPhones and the keyboard is really flat making it not to be that useful when it comes to emailing/texting and stuff

vip

Jul 10, 2008
You are kidding right? Sorry, but I got to play with one and it's a big clunky brick, and the display model was already broken- the track guide piece for when you "open and Close" the display. It was just being held together with the arm piece.
The G1 OS might have some nice features, but with each new release of any "iPhone Killer", the more and more I am glad i have an iPhone.
Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone. Its just that i hate it when safari and the apps keep crashing constantly almost everyday. Maybe its the phone, not sure. I will try out 2.2 to see if that makes any difference.

But having played with the g1 last week for a good hour or two, i was quite impressed...

projectdarkside

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
That's great VIP :)
-just saying that the G1 is just a glorified sidekick... Even though theirs always gonna be that phone that you want and know it's better than your current phone but... That phone isn't the G1 LOL!

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
nice just got home and about to update was hoping for mms but I knew I had a better shot of winning tonight mega millions lotto