iMac OSX and Bootcamp question

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If I decide to put windows on my iMac, when it creates the partition, will it delete and reformat my hard drive to do so?
I don't know what you mean about "delete", but it will partition a given portion of your HD (say 5 GB, that's what I used when I had bootcamp and reformat it so you can install Windows and run it native), and of course, that won't be available to the Mac part.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I don't know what you mean about "delete", but it will partition a given portion of your HD (say 5 GB, that's what I used when I had bootcamp and reformat it so you can install Windows and run it native), and of course, that won't be available to the Mac part.
well, you know how when you create a partition in windows the whole HDD is reformatted during the process.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
well, you know how when you create a partition in windows the whole HDD is reformatted during the process.
I don't know anything about partitions in windows, but the Mac only formats the number of GB's that you'll assign to bootcamp. the rest of your mac stuff will be fine.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
No it will dedicate a section of unused space to make room for Windows. And when i set up partitions on my old Windows machine it didn't format anything.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you format the windows partition as FAT32, you CAN read and write to it in OSX.

also, ifyour hard drive is relatively full, OSX may not be able to create a partition.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
correct. worst case scenario is the bootcamp assistant won't be able to partition the HD because there are too many files it can't move... and then you're just back to where you started.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
bootcamp comes with a guide that has all the info you'd ever need. It will ask you if you want to print it out.

and the guide you posted is probably for the Beta version of bootcamp. You don't have to burn a Drivers disc now; you just use OSX Disc 1.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Wait - what the hell am I talking about? Where do you see a part where Boot Camp mentions anything?

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I have a question. I am about to receive my very first Apple computer ever: an iMac 24", 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard drive, etc. I also purchased Parallels and a new copy of WindowsXP. Obviously, I want to set up a partition for my Windows to run some programs on. And I see that if I want to be able to write files from my OS X to the Windows partition, I need to select FAT32. What caught my eye is the 32GB partition limitation size. I was considering creating a partition on the order of 150 to 200 GB as I have a lot of Windows programs I will be bringing over.

Am I truly limited to a 32GB partition for all my Windows software and programs, if I want to create a FAT32 partition? This does not seem nearly enough for my needs. Are there no workarounds for this? Any help?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
are you only going to be using parallels?

if so, you have much more versatility, because a separate partition is not needed.

sounds like a sweet machine, btw.