iMac OSX and Bootcamp question

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
are you only going to be using parallels?

if so, you have much more versatility, because a separate partition is not needed.

sounds like a sweet machine, btw.
For me, Parallels is good enough. I just need it for a few tasks, and it performs faithfully (office scheduling and hospital access).

I'm not limited to any number of GB's. It expands as it is needed. And I have a lot of room for expansion.

Past that, all I need is a Mac :).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i may have worded that poorly, but that's pretty much what i was saying. If you stick with parallels, you won't have to worry about being limited to a partition.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
are you only going to be using parallels?

if so, you have much more versatility, because a separate partition is not needed.

sounds like a sweet machine, btw.
Thanks, I'm really quite excited. Anyway, I'm really a noob about Mac's so I'm not sure I understand what you're asking: "are you only going to be using parallels?" Are you saying that if I use Parallels, I will not even need to create a separate partition for my WindowsXP operating system and all my other Windows programs that I want to run on the iMac? If so, I didn't even realize that. In that case, I guess you are saying that I have no limitation to how much disk space I will need for Windows programs, etc, and don't need to even worry about whether or not I use FAT32 or not? Correct me if I am wrong, and forgive my complete ignorance about this. :laugh2:

EDIT: Ugh! Sorry. I didn't read the rest of the posts relating to this AFTER your post to me, UNTIL I had posted the above. I think my question was already answered. Thanks so much. I am tracking the shipment of my iMac about every hour or so..hahaha..and it looks like it will arrive by Friday.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's exactly right.

what programs are you needing to run in windows? If they're relatively undemanding, Parallels will be fine for you.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
that's exactly right.

what programs are you needing to run in windows? If they're relatively undemanding, Parallels will be fine for you.
Some of them are Yahoo chat clients that I use for chat (OTHER then Messenger. I know there is a Mac Yahoo Messenger) and other related chat programs. That's just the first thing that came to mind that I know I won't be able to find a Mac version for. I also live and die by MS Outlook, and I was considering that I really needed that on my iMac. I know there is a Mac version of Office, but it doesn't have Outlook that I can see. However, having said that, and after what little research I have been doing, I might not even need Outlook after all. I might be much better off using the programs that come with OS X and merely migrating my data into those programs. I will have to take it step by step as I begin to set this up and see exactly what I will need in the way of Windows programs.

Who knows? Maybe I'm going to be pleasantly surprised and discover that some of the programs I run on Windows, I will actually be able to run on OS X. As I said, I know hardly anything about Mac's and OS X. My "learning curve" awaits me.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sounds like parallels will be just fine.

The mac Office has "Entourage" instead of Outlook. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are, though. The Mac Mail is more than adequate for my needs.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
sounds like parallels will be just fine.

The mac Office has "Entourage" instead of Outlook. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are, though. The Mac Mail is more than adequate for my needs.
Well, if I can migrate all my contact info and all my old e-mails into whatever OS X has to offer, I can live with that. My past e-mails are my lifeline to just about everything I do. I keep Outlook open as I am constantly going in there looking for some information from the past few years to do something I need to do in the present.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
in that case, new macs come with a trial version of Office, which i'm pretty sure includes Entourage. So give Mail and Entourage a try, and if neither works for you, then there's always Outlook.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Thanks so much. One other question just occurred to me. Since I know have my PC set up with iTunes and my iPhone, how will I be able to set up my iMac to be the primary iTunes "recipient?" for my iPhone instead of my PC, without losing anything on my iPhone. I am concerned that once I connect my iPhone to my new iMac and start up iTunes, it will give me that message that this is not the computer my iPhone is set up on, and if I attempt to sync, I will lose the stuff on my iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
right. If you sync your iPhone with your iMac, you will lose all media (videos, music, etc). Your contacts, though, can be merged onto your iMac. When you sync, you'll get a popup message asking you if you want to overwrite the contacts of your iPhone with those on the computer , or merge the iPhone contacts with the iMac contacts. If you choose "Merge", the contacts from your iPhone will be synced to Mail by default. After the initial sync, you can choose another mail client to sync with (like entourage).

So, music and movies you will have to transfer directly from your old computer, but contacts (and pictures, i think) will transfer fine.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have a question as well. I failed at setting up a virtual machine on my Mac Mini because it doesn't have enough memory, so I'm using Boot Camp. Here's my question, pretty much the opposite of Honda's: Say I decide I don't want Windows anymore. I know I can remove the partition in Boot Camp, and I know that removing it will remove all the files on the Windows partition, but will everything on my Mac partition stay there?

- John

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
iMac arrived late Saturday afternoon and is up and running. But oh my gosh this is HUGE..lol. I've managed to install parallels after a little bit of trial and error, and installed WindowsXP after a little more trial and error. And I have downloaded and installed a couple of my most frequently used Windows programs (yahoo chat clients). I've also installed the Mac versions of Yahoo Messenger and Skype and they are very different. I am not able to find all the Preference and Option settings that I am used to having on the Windows versions.

Through my home wireless network (which I must say was practically effortless to set up with the iMac) I was able to transfer all the music from my PC over into iTunes on the iMac. I wanted to do this before I sync my iPhone for the first time. I suppose I will have to go through all my music and set the rating on each song as I did on the PC before, so that only the music already loaded on the iPhone from my PC will sync, unless there is some easier way to import that setting from my PC.

One other thing I am dealing with is not having the right-click mouse function that I am used to having with Windows. I am at loss to know how to simulate the right-click function on the Mighty Mouse as I am accustomed to doing with the PC. Using that function with Windows, I am frequently given a drop down menu from which I can chose other options or settings from and now I am unable to access those options or settings without having a right mouse button to click.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
One other thing I am dealing with is not having the right-click mouse function that I am used to having with Windows. I am at loss to know how to simulate the right-click function on the Mighty Mouse as I am accustomed to doing with the PC. Using that function with Windows, I am frequently given a drop down menu from which I can chose other options or settings from and now I am unable to access those options or settings without having a right mouse button to click.[/QUOTE]

Get one of these:

Mighty or not, the Apple mouse is not my favorite. I bought 10 of the Logitech trackballs for all my computers, new and old, even for my MBA. I leave them at work, even in the on-call room, so I'm never without my trackball wherever I am. they're very smooth and precise. The kids (all 4 of them) are addicted to it too. They're only $20 and you can RIGHT-CLICK all you want.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I swear, I'm just not meant to run Windows. When I try to partition the drive in Boot Camp, giving Windows 10 GB, I am told that I need to backup my disk, reformat my disk to a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive and then Restore my disk. I can create backups with Roxio's backup utility, but my disk is already formatted as descried above. And I really don't want to erase and restore my disk.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
What fun this is. After repairing my disk's permissions, I was able to get Boot Camp to start partitioning. However, 1/4 of the way through the process, I get a scary error message telling me that I need to reboot my computer. I figured I had screwed my Mac, but it booted successfuly. I was prompted to send a report to Apple, which I did. I looked it up and found that I should repair my drive, so I'll do that now.

Hopefully I don't really screw the Mac.

- John

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
iMac arrived late Saturday afternoon and is up and running. But oh my gosh this is HUGE..lol. I've managed to install parallels after a little bit of trial and error, and installed WindowsXP after a little more trial and error. And I have downloaded and installed a couple of my most frequently used Windows programs (yahoo chat clients). I've also installed the Mac versions of Yahoo Messenger and Skype and they are very different. I am not able to find all the Preference and Option settings that I am used to having on the Windows versions.

Through my home wireless network (which I must say was practically effortless to set up with the iMac) I was able to transfer all the music from my PC over into iTunes on the iMac. I wanted to do this before I sync my iPhone for the first time. I suppose I will have to go through all my music and set the rating on each song as I did on the PC before, so that only the music already loaded on the iPhone from my PC will sync, unless there is some easier way to import that setting from my PC.

One other thing I am dealing with is not having the right-click mouse function that I am used to having with Windows. I am at loss to know how to simulate the right-click function on the Mighty Mouse as I am accustomed to doing with the PC. Using that function with Windows, I am frequently given a drop down menu from which I can chose other options or settings from and now I am unable to access those options or settings without having a right mouse button to click.
that's very unusual. We have a couple mighty mice at work that do right-click just fine on windows machines. Like Geordi mentioned, there is the option to use a different mouse. I personally like the Logitech MX revolution.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
My bad! I found the setting to get a right-click function out of my mighty mouse. Learning curve blues :p

Other than that my amazement seems renewed each day with this iMac as I figure out ways (some much better) to replicate functions and activities I did on a daily basis with my Windows machine. And actually, I really haven't had a lot of time to "play" yet, as I've mostly been spending my time migrating information over from my old PC through my shared network. I have a feeling just from the playing I have done so far, that once I finish this task and really get to play with this I'm going to enjoy this machine much more then I ever enjoyed a PC.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Just an update. I am enjoying my iMac immensely. The "learning curve" seems to be rather intuitive, rather then needing to look for or read lots of documentation. I like that.

My MS Outlook problem was resolved rather simply. Since I installed Parallels and then WindowsXP anyway, installing the Windows version of MS Office was the simplest solution. True, I don't have all my past emails (prior to iMac day) in Mail this way. But I learned that migrating all of that from Outlook to Entourage was a rather complex and not altogether guaranteed process, requiring it first to be exported into Outlook Express, then doing something with it, and then getting it into Entourage. I still wouldn't have it in Mail anyway and some data that I wanted could not be migrated even into Entourage. So I concluded this solution was more acceptable as well as being much simpler. Since I have the Windows open all the time anyway there is really no problem with it.

One of the first differences that I noticed between Windows and OS X, is in removing a program. With Windows you first must go to control panel, then to "add or remove programs", find your program and remove it there. Then oftentimes, you must go into your "Program Files" directory, and look to see if a folder for that program remains and if there are any files left over in it, which then also have to be deleted. On top of that there are certain instances when remnants of the program still exist in the registry and need to be somehow "cleaned" from there as well if they interfere in some way. With OS X, I simply right click and "Move to Trash" and eventually "Empty the Trash Bin". The simplicity of this compared to Windows is almost laughable. I'm sure I have just scratched the surface here with my own new discoveries.

To be continued.........

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, windows and the registry are severely outdated.

anyway, i'm surprised the migration from outlook to entourage isn't a lot easier... that's the whole point of office for mac, right?