Otterbox Defender!

Joedogg

Bronze
Jul 27, 2010
So I emailed OtterBox this evening, and this is what they said, "This means the case is not snapped together all of the way. To fix, hold the case together at the top, and push down on the top tab, allowing it to lock into place."

I tried it, but it's still occurring. I'll email them in the AM.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe
I hear ya, I tried that as well I was even hearing the top snap clicking together and is still was doing it, but It was only a week old so I just took it back and exchanged it

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I hear ya, I tried that as well I was even hearing the top snap clicking together and is still was doing it, but It was only a week old so I just took it back and exchanged it
I just got my replacement silicone from Otterbox, but the clicking still exists. I have no idea why they sent the silicone. I think the problem is with the plastic part.

I will say, though, that emailing customer support was painless, quick, and easy. They always responded fast. I still have to email them and tell them the prob still exists.

Meltdownblitz

Bronze
Aug 23, 2009
I just got my replacement silicone from Otterbox, but the clicking still exists. I have no idea why they sent the silicone. I think the problem is with the plastic part.

I will say, though, that emailing customer support was painless, quick, and easy. They always responded fast. I still have to email them and tell them the prob still exists.

I'm not sure if I'd say they respond fast, they take a few days to respond in my experience. Other then that they seem to have a good customer service. Most important thing is they care to resolve the issue.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
So, I was sick of the screen protector on the Defender. I decided to remove my iPhone from the Defender case, put on another screen protector, and put on the Commuter case. So, when putting the Defender back in the box, I mistakenly broke the screen protector off the Defender. I didn't know it was so poorly attached. I'm glad it happened, as now I put my iPhone back in the Defender with the other screen protector. Typing is so much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I'm not sure if I'd say they respond fast, they take a few days to respond in my experience. Other then that they seem to have a good customer service. Most important thing is they care to resolve the issue.
Not with me. The girl I dealt with responded within the same day, like several hours. I now have her direct email and contact info.

Joedogg

Bronze
Jul 27, 2010

I would get them to send me a new one, the whole thing

creed16

Jul 15, 2010
Texas Baby!
I contacted them about my silicone case not fitting correctly. They emailed me back within a few days with a case # etc. Told me they assigned my case to a case worker? I have not heard back from them in over a week. So I really have no idea what is going on.

Summertop511

Bronze
Jul 3, 2010
I've had this case for about three two months. When I put the phone in my pocket the little tiny sand particles get in-between the phone and the case. Then from using the phone all day the tiny little sand particle had been scratching the screen. The scratch is so small but it's there and pisses me off. Now today some how a piece of sand actually chipped a tiny but of glass off the back panel edge. This case needs more felt applied to all of the inside. Them this wouldn't have happened I'm pissed!

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I've had this case for about three two months. When I put the phone in my pocket the little tiny sand particles get in-between the phone and the case. Then from using the phone all day the tiny little sand particle had been scratching the screen. The scratch is so small but it's there and pisses me off. Now today some how a piece of sand actually chipped a tiny but of glass off the back panel edge. This case needs more felt applied to all of the inside. Them this wouldn't have happened I'm pissed!
That stinks. I returned both the Commuter and the Defender. I am now using my free case, PixelSkin
HD with my SGP screen protector.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Since the iPhone was released, case developers have been creating cases to protect it. Cases also serve some other functions, such as individualization, and customization. The main function of cases though is protection. Otterbox has been around since the version 1 iPhone with the Defender, and it has always been the best protection for your device. Not much has changed in that regard with the Defender Series case. It is still the best protection you can get for your iPhone. Countless stories are told about how the Defender Series has saved iPhones from devastation. There is even a video of a guy dropping his iPhone from a motorcycle, and returning to find the phone undamaged, and still functional. The new version of the defender has a couple new features, and couple of features removed. I will touch on those in this review. This case features a built in screen protector. In the past this screen protector would stick to the screen and cause the screen to look as if it had watermarks. That has been remedied in this version. I am not sure how they have fixed it, but the marks do not even appear when you touch the screen. Even though there was a workaround with baby powder in the previous models, it is great to not have to worry with that in this one.

There is also protection for the front facing camera, the proximity sensor, and the beloved Apple logo. Missing however on this version is protection for the rear facing camera lens and the LED flash. I did not like to see this as it lets a place for dust to get in. There is also a lack of dust protection at the noise cancellation mic, and at the speaker/mic openings.

Newly added with this version of the case is a felt type lining for the inside on the back. This will help keep the back of the phone from getting scuffed up. When you are concerned with keeping your phone as new looking as I am, this comes in handy. Resale of the phone will be easily achievable when you keep it unscratched.

The hard protection for the case is a snap together, hard plastic shell. This version is much easier to remove. Installation remains about the same which is still a snap. The shell is perfectly fitted, and the phone will not rattle around at all inside the shell. The shell has openings for all of the switches, sensors, and ports.

The shock absorption for the case comes from the silicon skin. This skin is fitted just as well as the hard plastic shell. It features a lip around some of the openings to help keep it in position, and to deter dust. It is a little more tedious to install than the previous versions, but is worth the added protection. The silicon skin also has a texture to it to help keep it from sliding around if you set it down in a moving vehicle, or on a slanted surface.

This case comes with a belt clip holster. The previous models came with slide-in holsters, while this one has a clip type holster. The holster has a 360 degree rotational clip, so you can wear it horizontally or vertically. The clip also has a lock open feature that makes removing it from your belt easier than without I have found. While locked open you might even be able to use the holster as a stand, holding the phone at around a 30 degree angle.

The port opening for the 30 pin connector is larger than the previous models, so now I can plug in my component cables without removing the case. The case is still just a tad to large to slide into my car docking station, even with the silicon skin removed. I would only change a couple things with the functionality design. First I would notch out a place on the clip near the headphone jack. When using your headphones while the phone is rested in the clip, the rubber flap is caught in between the clip itself and the headphone plug. This puts sideways pressure on the jack which I am sure is not good on the jack. You can workaround this by putting the phone screen out in the clip. This causes the port flap to be on the opposite side of the clip, creating little if any pressure. It also keeps your screen less protected though. The only other thing I would change is adding protection for the camera lens.

Overall this case is very good, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for ultimate protection of their device. You would be hard pressed to find better protection than the Otterbox Defender. If you have any questions about this case feel free to ask here, or PM me. I would be happy to answer any questions about this case.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I have the otterbox defender and I too agree it's a really good case I have dropped my phone but haven't panic which is a good piece of mind.

iPhoneGina

Aug 7, 2010
You can't beat the peace of mind and knowing it will be worth more when you got to sell it. I bought the black one but wish I had held out for the blue one.

Viper43

Bronze
Mar 8, 2010
Tampa,Fl
Yep, I use one as well. Great protection and doesn't look that bad either. The only time i see a water mark is when i wipe the screen with a kleenex. Very satisfied!

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
One of the best thought-out designs in iPhone cases, IMO, but then it really hits a niche market. There's not a lot of out-thinking being done in iPhone armor protection, anyway. ;)

I don't use the holster, so thanks for the reminder that it can be used as a stand. It does kinda work, in both landscape and portrait, but it's too unstable to be useful if you have to manipulate the screen. For just watching content, it does okay.

I found the screen protector to be too conspicuous in feel and clarity, so I removed it. I never did see any "oil stain" artifacts, though, and I think they got it right with that aspect of the design. I'd love to see them incorporate a true flap covering or some such to really give the screen some impact protection. I consider this to be the only protective weakness in the design, but a major one, IMO.

The only fitment issue I've had is around the back edge of the dock port. There tends to be a gap there in the silicone exterior, but otherwise it's a top-notch case, and so far, my favorite.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I love my otterbox, I am on the fence about removing the screen protector though, it smudges up very easily and does take away from the clarity of the retina display.

furndaddy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 16, 2010
Indiana
I also love my Otterbox defender for my iPhone 4. What's even better is that my local AT&T store got white one's in today - got one right away.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I love my otterbox, I am on the fence about removing the screen protector though, it smudges up very easily and does take away from the clarity of the retina display.
I removed the screen protector that comes with the case and added my own clear screen protector and so far so good.