Outlook calendar sync problem fixed!

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Error encountered during sync:

OutlookSyncClient.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Error Signature: outlooksyncclient.exe, ModVer: 7.3.440.39 Offset: 00082687
AppVer: 0.0.0.0 Mod Name: corefoundation.dll
Yep, exactly what I got.

jaz0450

Jul 9, 2007
Outlook ain't lQQkn' good

Just purchased iPhone...very cool and syn w/outlook contacts but refuses to syn calendar...talked to genius and they were stumped...keeps disconnting when I try to download the calendar...all else works and I have update version of iTunes and ipod...outlook is 2003 xp

Hello,

I went to the Apple store and asked a genius about the problem with outlook calendar not syncing all appointements...etc to the iPhone and he told me that this problem is fixed in the new update of iTunes 7.3.1.

I updated iTunes and it is true, the bug is fixed. My Outlook 2007 Calender is completely synched to my iPhone. The new update was released yesterday I believe. The genius told me that this was the main fix in the iTunes Update. I feel good that Apple is thinking about us MS Windows users;)

Regars - Bohs

kwc2325

Aug 8, 2007
7.3.2 j\update worked

I was having the same problem as everyone else here - and had given up. Didn't even try to do a clean install because I was so frustrated. Magically, I installed 7.3.2 this morning and my calendar synched. No issues at all - not even with infinite recurring appts.

YadenSamsara

Aug 10, 2007
Syncing with Outlook 2003 has been a real joy for me here at work. One guy has it working great now with the new version of iTunes. Another guy has nothing but problems...

Calendar will only sync some few random events. Contacts will run and never finish, so I cancel the sync, and close iTunes and I will find OutlookSyncClient.exe running in WinXP's background. I have to kill that process else it hangs and runs at 50% CPU. Before I updated iTunes on his computer he was able update the contacts.

I've reinstalled iTunes but that didn't change anything. I haven't done any reg cleaning tries yet. I loaded a different profile in Outlook, put 2 appointments in the Calendar and it would sync that calendar just fine. I didn't try syncing the contacts for that login because I didn't want him to lose all his current contacts in his iPhone. He said he deleted some contacts in Outlook the other day but I don't know if that is causing the sync to hang. (and I tried reseting the sync history button as well)

Running out of ideas, going to try calling Apple but I have my doubts since they will probably just blame M$.

carehart

Aug 11, 2007
Another observation on all this

I'd just like to share some observation on all this, for the benefit of others who do seem to be in the same boat as me. I 've been suffering the loss of Outlook 2003 on XP for a couple of days now. The tragedy for me (and I fear, for many) is that I don't even have an iPhone! I have only an iPod.

Even more curious, while I'd gotten a prompt to install an update a couple of days ago (which I generally take when offered), I was busy and said "no", so I did not do any recent updates to iTunes when this hit me. The machine had been up for at least a couple of days before I had to restart it, and on my attempt to launch Outlook, it crashed as others have explained.

Someone pointed me to the "outlook /safe" switch, and at least then Outlook had a message pop up saying the problem was an iTunes add-in, and it offered to disable it. That didn't do it, even after a restart. At least it did lead me to find this and other forums where people are reporting the same problem.

I've also tried various other outlook switches, created a new profile, removed psts to force it to recreate them, and all other options mentioned here and elsewhere. Still, I'm dead in the water.

The sad thing is that many point out the problem is "solved", in that they're able to 'synch again'. For me and others, we're not even trying to sync, not an iPhone, nor even our ipod.

And where many propose we can fix this by "just disabling the addin", that's not possible if you can't open Outlook. (Sounds like 2007 has an upper hand with its feature to do that outside the tool.) I'll add that I did find a registry entry listing add-ins, and at this point it does not list the iTunes one any more.

Sure, I suppose one may argue then that the problem is no longer Apple's, but at this point I'm not even concerned about blame. I just want to be able to open Outlook again. I can install a new email client (and have, Thunderbird), but that doesn't help with the tens of thousands of emails tracked in Outlook, and their status as unread (to get to), or important, or the notes, tasks, and calendar entries.

And I may well be able to move the PST to a new machine and access it from there, but it won't be the same. Such a move never keeps the rules right, so I'll be having to edit a couple hundred rules that moved list messages to folders, etc. Same with removing and reinstalling Outlook, which of course also means all of Office since you can't remove just one.

And yes, I did go ahead and do the update (to 7.3.2.6, up from what I had before which was 7.3.1.something). Still no go, even after a restart.

At this point, it seems my last resort is removing and reinstalling iTunes, as some have proposed above. Honestly, with the many annoyances of iTunes (for managing the iPod), it may be time to jettison it as well and use a 3rd party tool.

Shame on Apple for foisting this problem on us. The lost productivity must be in the millions of $. I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action suit come out of all this--unless it can be shown that it was not indeed Apple at the core (pardon the pun. Trying to keep my spirits up.)

Just wanted to share all this for others who do seem (here and elsewhere) to be in the same boat.

/charlie

musiccity

Aug 11, 2007
Synch Issues....

I have followed each suggestion offered in this thread over the past two days. I really have nothing additional to offer other than to reinforce that for some of us, everything, including a full reinstall of iTunes and Quicktime, registry cleaning, etc., doesn't resolve the calendar synch issue with Outook 2003.

I too have spoken with Apple tech support. I was able to synch a sample contact and calendar event from a newly created test account on my XP Pro box, but my calendar (which did synch successfuly to my Treo 700W prior to my switch), consistently generates the noted, OutlookSync.exe error documented here. This forces closing down Oultook and iTunes before regaining access to the associated PST file. (I suppose I should be grateful for the fact my data hasn't yet been damaged!)

I hope this thread continues and additional remedies are discussed.

tc2000chartreader

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
Try this fix.

Go to the following discussion and try uninstalling Outlook Live Search plug in. I installed it a few months back from a windows update suggestion. Well I have been trying to get my calendar to sync for over a month. Just uninstalled the program, restarted the computer and my calendar now syncs. Try it before doing all the other software installs, deletes and driving yourself crazy like I did.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/another-calendar-sync-solution.7311/

Last edited by a moderator:

YadenSamsara

Aug 10, 2007
I have iTunes syncing now with the Outlook 2003 calendar after removing something like "Windows Live Local" from the add/remove programs. Was something like that and it did the trick for the calendar.

His contacts still won't sync, even after uninstalling all Apple products and re-installing iTunes. If I change to a different profile user (we run Exchange 2000 and AD) in Outlook, then it will sync, but not with him for some reason. Must be some strange permission bug deep within one of the programs.

FrankMcL

Bronze
I’m syncing on a laptop with Vista Ultimate and Outlook 2007.

I have iTunes syncing now with the Outlook 2003 calendar after removing something like "Windows Live Local" from the add/remove programs. Was something like that and it did the trick for the calendar.

His contacts still won't sync, even after uninstalling all Apple products and re-installing iTunes. If I change to a different profile user (we run Exchange 2000 and AD) in Outlook, then it will sync, but not with him for some reason. Must be some strange permission bug deep within one of the programs.
Sheila at Apple tech support walked me through the process: Go to this link for the article:
Link: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n305409
1st thing to check is for USB conflicts....if you have a camera or printer connected via a USB port that may be the problem. So remove those 1st to see if that’s an issue then follow the instructions at the above link. Mostly you have to uninstall ALL Apple programs....I had 4 on my computer. The Remove Apple from the Program folder, then reinstall iTunes.
Admittedly the iPhone is not a businesss tool and does not come close to the functionality of Mobile 6 but if it can sync the Outlook calendar and contacts I can live with it.

YadenSamsara

Aug 10, 2007
Sheila at Apple tech support walked me through the process: Go to this link for the article:
Link: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n305409
1st thing to check is for USB conflicts....if you have a camera or printer connected via a USB port that may be the problem. So remove those 1st to see if that’s an issue then follow the instructions at the above link. Mostly you have to uninstall ALL Apple programs....I had 4 on my computer. The Remove Apple from the Program folder, then reinstall iTunes.
Admittedly the iPhone is not a businesss tool and does not come close to the functionality of Mobile 6 but if it can sync the Outlook calendar and contacts I can live with it.
I unistalled all Apple/Quicken products (was 4 for me) and reinstalled iTunes, but I did not go through deleting folders it leaves behind. For now he still has his old contacts on his iPhone (from when it did work) and is happy with that. If I need to resync contacts I may try those steps or the work around with using Window's Address Book.

adampirg

Sep 7, 2007
Another Sync fix

I had tried Electra Glide's 16-step fix a couple times, but to no avail--was still getting "outlook sync add-in" errors every time (contacts always synced fine but calendar always failed, after having worked fine for a few weeks initially). I tried a couple additional fixes--got rid of recurring appointments in Outlook and deleted event notes that contained paragraph/line breaks. Still no dice though.

Finally, I got it working tonight after I did three things:
--uninstalled iTunes using Electra Glide's method (which is mostly the same as Apple's method but a little more thorough)
--deleted repeating and multiday appointments on my iPhone (i.e. converted them to individual appointments lasting no more than one day) and deleted appointment notes that had paragraph/line breaks
--installed the new version of iTunes (7.4.0) from scratch.

And it works! I'm not sure whether iTunes 7.4 is the real solution (it may be, as I suspect the problem began for me when I installed iTunes 7.3.2), or whether the other steps above were important too. But I'm relieved nonetheless.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
--uninstalled iTunes using Electra Glide's method (which is mostly the same as Apple's method but a little more thorough)
--deleted repeating and multiday appointments on my iPhone (i.e. converted them to individual appointments lasting no more than one day) and deleted appointment notes that had paragraph/line breaks

And it works! I'm not sure whether iTunes 7.4 is the real solution (it may be, as I suspect the problem began for me when I installed iTunes 7.3.2), or whether the other steps above were important too. But I'm relieved nonetheless.
Do you keep your appointments on Exchange or in a .pst?

musiccity

Aug 11, 2007
Finally!

I had tried Electra Glide's 16-step fix a couple times, but to no avail--was still getting "outlook sync add-in" errors every time (contacts always synced fine but calendar always failed, after having worked fine for a few weeks initially). I tried a couple additional fixes--got rid of recurring appointments in Outlook and deleted event notes that contained paragraph/line breaks. Still no dice though.

Thanks for the feedback! I decided to take the brave step of simply updating from 7.3.2 to the newest version which I believe as of this writing is 7.4.1. My thinking was, if the update resolves the issue, I saved at least a half hour's time doing the uninstall/reinstall sequence. I'm no worse off than I've been for a month.

Well.... I can hardly believe I am saying this but my calendar synched! This is a first! I am almost afraid to put the iPhone back on the cradle for fear of a new error message. However, it does appear to work. Thanks much for the feedback. Your post inspired me to try this out today. (Now if I could only get my inbox folder structure to synch.....)

Have a great day!

Doodler

Jul 12, 2007
Sync Broke Again

Thanks for the feedback! I decided to take the brave step of simply updating from 7.3.2 to the newest version which I believe as of this writing is 7.4.1. My thinking was, if the update resolves the issue, I saved at least a half hour's time doing the uninstall/reinstall sequence. I'm no worse off than I've been for a month.

Well.... I can hardly believe I am saying this but my calendar synched! This is a first! I am almost afraid to put the iPhone back on the cradle for fear of a new error message. However, it does appear to work. Thanks much for the feedback. Your post inspired me to try this out today. (Now if I could only get my inbox folder structure to synch.....)

Have a great day!
I was it were that simple. I got the sync to work very well with the prior version, but today I downloaded 7.4.1 of iTunes and tried to sync the Outlook 2007 calendar (twice) and got error messages from iTunes. No sync. None of the new appointments showed up. It looks like it's back to square one or maybe three.

Glenn C

Jul 14, 2007
My sync problems fixed

I also upgraded to the current version of iTunes and also performed the new firmware update to my iPhone.
Outlook 2003 now syncs flawlessly.
On the fly testing with "test" events in both Outlook and iPhone demonstrated correct immediate sync.
It seeeeeemmms to be fixed....
Still skeptical after all of these weeks of problems.
However, this is a good sign.
:cool:
G

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
My issues seems to be similar but not exactly the same. I have a client running Outlook 2003 (on EXCHANGE) w/ XP Pro. Their Outlook calendar seemed to synch fine when she first got the phone. But after awhile it didn't synched anymore. But it appears the phone (afte searching her phone) that the icon for Calendar on the main screen holds all the calendar events from when it used to synch. But now any new calendar events gets thrown into the CALENDAR folder within her MAILBOX. Also they all show as an email in the CALENDAR folder and you cannot change the view to day,week,month etc. Any suggestions as to why it does this?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Eureka! I finally got it. iTunes 7.4.1 on XP seems to have done the trick...also reloaded XP completely. Not ideal but all my calendar entries work without it crapping out. yesss!

rasputinj

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Go to the following discussion and try uninstalling Outlook Live Search plug in. I installed it a few months back from a windows update suggestion. Well I have been trying to get my calendar to sync for over a month. Just uninstalled the program, restarted the computer and my calendar now syncs. Try it before doing all the other software installs, deletes and driving yourself crazy like I did.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/another-calendar-sync-solution.7311/
I was having a problems where only my older calendar appointments, after thinking about it I remember I installed Live Outlook plugin I tried to just uncheck the plugin, it still did not work. After seeing a discussion at Apple.com where you see the Live Icon on appointments of mine that were not syncing. I uninstalled the Live Outlook plugin and I was off and running, syncing my calendar again.

Great tip.

Last edited by a moderator: