Outlook calendar sync problem fixed!

mayerg

Aug 2, 2007
upgrading pst file to 2003 format

I have not read this entire thread so forgive me if somebody has posted this, but my sync works much better after I upgraded my pst file to 2003. I've been running office 2003 for a while with sync problems coming and going. The only way it would occasionally work is if outlook was closed, then I could sync my contacts and calendars. Since I've switched to using a 2003 pst file (after upgrade from office 2000 default is to use 97-2002 format pst) I can keep outlook open and sync is working fantastic!
Here is one link showing how to move to 2003 pst if interested.
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_upgrade_my_outlook_pst_to_2003_format.html

KPSK

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
my calendar was working fine at work when i would sync but since i updated iTunes i get no supported calendar. Works fine at home but not at work.

mayerg

Aug 2, 2007
what format is my pst file?

by the way, here is how you find out what format your pst file is.
Pulled direct from outlook>help
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click Mail Setup, and then click Data Files.
3. Click the data file you want to check, and then click Settings.
4. Check the Format field to see if it contains the string Personal Folders file or Personal Folders file (97-2002). Personal Folders file indicates the new format that supports multilingual Unicode (Unicode: A character encoding standard developed by the Unicode Consortium. By using more than one byte to represent each character, Unicode enables almost all of the written langauges in the world to be represented by using a single character set.) data and offers greater storage capacity for items and folders. A file with the Personal Folders file type is not compatible with earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook. Personal Folders file (97-2002) indicates the earlier format that is compatible with earlier versions of Outlook. Personal Folders file (97-2002) does not support Unicode and offers the same storage capacity for items and folders that was available in earlier versions of Outlook.

mayerg

Aug 2, 2007
I have not read this entire thread so forgive me if somebody has posted this, but my sync works much better after I upgraded my pst file to 2003. I've been running office 2003 for a while with sync problems coming and going. The only way it would occasionally work is if outlook was closed, then I could sync my contacts and calendars. Since I've switched to using a 2003 pst file (after upgrade from office 2000 default is to use 97-2002 format pst) I can keep outlook open and sync is working fantastic!
Here is one link showing how to move to 2003 pst if interested.
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_upgrade_my_outlook_pst_to_2003_format.html
spoke too soon. Back to same old BS.

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm having a similar issue to many that have posted here. iTunes latest (as of July 29), latest Outlook 2003 (with all patches), Windows XP with all patches, syncs contacts beautifully, and music/movies, etc., but calendar is a no-go. Tried everything in this post. The COM add-ins are there, and are checked. Nothing is listed in the disable dialog. It states it's synching but only takes a second and moves on, so I know it's not really reading anything. Both my contacts and my calendar are stored on the Exchange server, yet one works and the other doesn't. I hope someone finds a solution here, as it's annoying. We're also not planning on rolling out Outlook 2007 any time soon.
I am still having this problem. Apple tech support wants me to 'restore' my phone, but I am concerned this wont work either. Anybody else have suggestions?

gmarshalljr

Sep 21, 2007
unfortunately what happens when you sync your contacts through iTunes is that iTunes DOES have to open outlook...In my case I see it come up right away because I get the critical error message when outlook crashes right away...In either case, I have resigned myself to waiting for a new version of iTunes that DOES fix this problem...
Just an idea. Could you export your contacts from Outlook and import them into Outlook express which is also supported by the iPhone. That way you could sync strictly from Outlook Express and only use Outlook for normal email functions.

-In Outlook, on the File menu, click Import and Export.
-Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
-Click Comma Separated Values (Windows), and then click Next.
-In the folder list, click the Contacts folder, and then click Next.
-Browse to the folder where you want to save the contacts as a .csv file.
-Type a name for the exported file, and then click OK.
-Click Next.
-Click Finish.

Pretty much reverse that for importing in outlook express.

Then all you have to do is change Outlook to Windows Address book under the contacts tab in iTunes and you should be good.

Outlook Express is shipped with every Microsoft OS. So it's kind of a nice backup for syncing in case your first choice in email clients is unsupported.

Plus this way you always have a backup set of contacts(outlook) in case you ever have a bad syncing experience (Outlook Express)...like if you click delete instead of merge.

:)

glass

Sep 25, 2007
This is what worked for me. After trying all the things everyone suggested and spending over 3 hours with Apple and not getting a resolution I figured I would try something nobody mentioned. I reinstalled outlook 2007. This is how I did it, I selected repair from the menu not install. Then I went and looked at all the calendar items in the phone.....there was one event that should of had writing in it instead there were three little boxes, I deleted this event. I then synced my phone and it works great. It is syncing both ways and I have done it about 10 times and no problems at all. Maybe this could work for some of you, keep in mind before this I did uninstall iTunes and restored my phone then repaired outlook then went through events in calendar and removed events that had boxes then synced. I have xp.Good luck

kiwicomposer

Sep 29, 2007
IPOD/ITUMES 7.4.3.2/Calendar Issue Fixed for me

Hi..
After reading all the posts I was experiencing some of the issues that others had with iTunes not syncing Outlook Calendar entries to my IPOD
It kept crashing outlook everytime it attempted to sync the calendar.
Everything elese sync'd just fine

Well what I did I checked my calendar items and found that some historical items has duplicate entries from previous sync activities I had done with a HP IPAC palm device.

By deleting the duplicates so that all entries were single entries (regardless of whether they were recurring entries or not..leftrecurring entries alone unless they were duplicated) Solved my issue and all now OK.. Contacts and Calendar are fully sync'd

To me hours of playing to work out what it was and also reading advice here.

What I did was:
-Open outlook (2003)
-Went to Calendar
-Selected Tools Menu
Organize Submenu
-Went to using views option
-Selected by category
I found a number of entries had an orange icon with an "!" in it.
Either opened each one at a time and deleted one of the duplicates that were listed. or if an unimportant historical entry simply deleted it completely.

Checked and when all items simply showed a blueish calendar looking icon on the left side backtracked out of the Organbize screen so that I was back at the normal calendar screen.

Resync'd with the IPOD and all worked brilliantly. :cool: