Outlook sync problem

TechnoDoc

Jul 2, 2007
Anyone try the new iTunes update yet? I won't have time until tonight, but I wonder if this has been addressed?

JohnSD

Jul 12, 2007
Synch with Outlook

I've tried repeatedly. iTunes is open. I select Outlook, but it does not see any account on my PC at all, so I can't select anything. I've tried resetting to factory settings. Still nogo.

I'm on WIN XP Pro, in case that matters. Don't have it in front of me but I think I have Outlook 2003.

I am now able to get email, but cannot synch properly.

Any help on synching so I get my contacts would be greatly appreciated.

THanks.

John

Outlook '07 works fine here. Did you tell iTunes thats the program you wanted to sync from? That's all i did.

JohnSD

Jul 12, 2007
Synch with Outlook: Enable Plugin IN WHICH PROGRAM?

I got the message about enabling in the plugin and needing to go to Help. Unfortunately, it didn't say Help IN WHICH PROGRAM? I've looked in iTunes Help and Outlook Help and haven't found anything. Where did you go to reenable the plugin?

Thanks.

John

Well, after an hour on the phone with Apple (level 2 support), they basically admitted that they are aware of a problem with the iTunes sync plugin for Outlook. They have escalated the problem to engineering, and are hoping for resolution soon (whatever that means).

I have spent (wasted) about 5 hours trying everything I could find on the Apple forums, here, and anywhere with only transient luck. After reinstalling iTunes and re-enabling the plugin manually in Outlook, I got the iPhone to sync contacts and calendar once. Since then, no syncing, and I still get the Outlook error every time it launches.

Let's hope they fix this soon.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I got the message about enabling in the plugin and needing to go to Help. Unfortunately, it didn't say Help IN WHICH PROGRAM? I've looked in iTunes Help and Outlook Help and haven't found anything. Where did you go to reenable the plugin?
See post 15 and post 19 of this thread.

Boone

Jul 11, 2007
Anyone try the new iTunes update yet? I won't have time until tonight, but I wonder if this has been addressed?
Tried the new iTunes update. No luck. Still no can sync calendar.

Can someone from Apple help here?

Love the phone.

Really need my calendar to sync......

Glenn C

Jul 14, 2007
I have tried and tried in vain to get the iPhone to sync with Outlook 2007. iTunes indicates that it is doing a sync, but when it is completed, there are no contacts or calendar data on the device. Anyone else have this problem/discovered a solution?
I have the same problem. Outlook 2003, Win XP sp 2. While some items sync, most do not. Test items in the iPhone or calendar do not sync. No error messages. Have spent HOURS on the phone with Apple support, who CLAIMS I am the ONLY one having this problem. They should read all the posts at this site.

Upgrade to iTunes 7.3.1, restoring firmware, and even getting a NEW iPhone have NOT corrected the problems. Guess we will have to wait.:(

churchillstudios

Jul 14, 2007
I was one of those people experiencing sync problems with my iPhone and Outlook Calendar.

At first I was unaware Outlook had disabled "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" - also known as the file "OutlookSyncClient.dll". Luckily, I came across this thread. Sure enough, under "Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > COM Add-Ins" there were two Apple plug-ins: "iTunes Outlook Addin" was checkmarked but "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" was not. No matter what I did, I could not get this plug-in to stay checkmarked.

I went to "Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled Items" and found "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" had been DISABLED by Outlook. When I re-activated it, Outlook CRASHED, prompting me to disable the plug-in in order for Outlook to operate correctly. Obviously something was very wrong, here.

After reading other's comments and suggestions on this thread, my solution was to save an export of my data to another ".pst" data file. I first copied my original file ("Outlook.pst" located in "C: Documents and Settings/(user)/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook") into a new folder I called "BACKUP" just in case something went wrong. Then I made a new folder called "EXPORT".

I then exported my data by way of "File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Personal Folder File (.pst)". Making sure to save it off to my "EXPORT" folder, I named it "Outlook.pst" -- just like the original.

Now the big moment: I SHUT DOWN Outlook and copied the exported file in "EXPORT" to the same folder as the original - replacing the original file. Open Outlook and all my contact and calendar data came up fine. Time to RE-ACTIVATE "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" by way of "Help > About Microsoft Outlook" in the menu and clicking on the "Disabled Items" button. When I did, Outlook didn't crash! Everything seems to load fine now.

Time to Load up iTunes, plug in my iPhone, and the sync my calendar. iTunes Sync works flawlessly! All my Outlook calendar info is now on my iPhone and I'm good-to go. I've tried this several times and the issue seems to be completely resolved. Thanks guys for all of your advice! Hopefully this thread will help others out as well.

- BC

eederise

Jul 14, 2007
I was one of those people experiencing sync problems with my iPhone and Outlook Calendar.

At first I was unaware Outlook had disabled "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" - also known as the file "OutlookSyncClient.dll". Luckily, I came across this thread. Sure enough, under "Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > COM Add-Ins" there were two Apple plug-ins: "iTunes Outlook Addin" was checkmarked but "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" was not. No matter what I did, I could not get this plug-in to stay checkmarked.

I went to "Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled Items" and found "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" had been DISABLED by Outlook. When I re-activated it, Outlook CRASHED, prompting me to disable the plug-in in order for Outlook to operate correctly. Obviously something was very wrong, here.

After reading other's comments and suggestions on this thread, my solution was to save an export of my data to another ".pst" data file. I first copied my original file ("Outlook.pst" located in "C: Documents and Settings/(user)/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook") into a new folder I called "BACKUP" just in case something went wrong. Then I made a new folder called "EXPORT".

I then exported my data by way of "File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Personal Folder File (.pst)". Making sure to save it off to my "EXPORT" folder, I named it "Outlook.pst" -- just like the original.

Now the big moment: I SHUT DOWN Outlook and copied the exported file in "EXPORT" to the same folder as the original - replacing the original file. Open Outlook and all my contact and calendar data came up fine. Time to RE-ACTIVATE "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" by way of "Help > About Microsoft Outlook" in the menu and clicking on the "Disabled Items" button. When I did, Outlook didn't crash! Everything seems to load fine now.

Time to Load up iTunes, plug in my iPhone, and the sync my calendar. iTunes Sync works flawlessly! All my Outlook calendar info is now on my iPhone and I'm good-to go. I've tried this several times and the issue seems to be completely resolved. Thanks guys for all of your advice! Hopefully this thread will help others out as well.

- BC
This worked for me. I actually had two PST files being used on the same PC. I exported to a new PST named Outlook.pst. Then I redirected everything to look at the new file. Be sure that you export from the root of your email, i.e., where inbox, sent, etc. all reside under; and be sure to select the "all subfolders" checkbox during the export process. Can't thank you enough for sharing your solution. Syncing with outlook was the top priority for me when I bought the iPhone. Thanks!

bford7

Jul 15, 2007
Finally able to get iPhone calendar to sync with Outlook 2003

I was having a lot of the same problems as most on this thread with syncing my outlook 2003 calendar and iPhone. Here is what I did to fix the problem:

1. I was checking the com addin box for Outlook iTunes sync addin and it kept unchecking itself. I solved this by going to Help...About Microsoft Outlook....disabled items....choose outlook iTunes sync addin.

2. After enabling that com add-in, you can then go and check the box:
tools...options....other....advanced options....com add-ins...check the outlook iTunes sync addin

3. After restarting outlook and iTunes, i was still having problems syncing but the final fix was temporarily disabling my norton internet security.

It synced perfectly after that. I was even able to sync contacts (previously I was syncing contacts through the windows option instead of outlook)

Hope this helps everyone. I have been frustrated all day, but it looks as if that is over now!

Glenn C

Jul 14, 2007
I was having a lot of the same problems as most on this thread with syncing my outlook 2003 calendar and iPhone. Here is what I did to fix the problem:

1. I was checking the com addin box for Outlook iTunes sync addin and it kept unchecking itself. I solved this by going to Help...About Microsoft Outlook....disabled items....choose outlook iTunes sync addin.

2. After enabling that com add-in, you can then go and check the box:
tools...options....other....advanced options....com add-ins...check the outlook iTunes sync addin

3. After restarting outlook and iTunes, i was still having problems syncing but the final fix was temporarily disabling my norton internet security.

It synced perfectly after that. I was even able to sync contacts (previously I was syncing contacts through the windows option instead of outlook)

Hope this helps everyone. I have been frustrated all day, but it looks as if that is over now!

Didn't work for me. All COM add-ins are fine. Tried turning them on/off, rebooting, etc. Nuthin'. Same with Antivirus. Turned it off, and pop up blocker too. Nuthin'.

Interesting. Deleted ALL calendar items and sync'd. No change in the iPhone at all! Then erased the iPhone. Restored from backup in the laptop and all of the original erroneous calendar items were reinstalled, NOT the correct ones showing in the outlook calendar. That MUST mean that the backup file is corrupted, and IT is not syncing with Outlook. The problem is seemingly in iTunes communication with Outlook, not in the iPhone firmware.

jjjj1047

Jul 7, 2007
NJ Shore
Finally...........

I've tried every suggestion that posters, Apple, and Microsoft has suggested to sync my Outlook 2007 Calendar to my iPhone but nothing worked. Thanks to one dedicated Microsoft employee that would not let this issue die until it was solved, I FINALLY was able to sync my Outlook 2007 Calendar to my iPhone. It was so easy it's incredible. I hope that it works for others that are having the same problem Good luck.
Locate the scanpst.exe file on your PC, then click on it to execute the file.

Type the path and file name of the .pst files
Note: The .PST files are always located in the C:\Documents and Settings\<user account>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
(<user account> is the name of your windows account, C: is the system partition where the Operation System locate.)
Click Start.
NOTE: Enable the box of " Make backup of scanned file before repairing " if the PST file need to repair.

Then try to sync the iPhone again. Hopefully this works for you as well as it worked for me.

Glenn C

Jul 14, 2007
I've tried every suggestion that posters, Apple, and Microsoft has suggested to sync my Outlook 2007 Calendar to my iPhone but nothing worked. Thanks to one dedicated Microsoft employee that would not let this issue die until it was solved, I FINALLY was able to sync my Outlook 2007 Calendar to my iPhone. It was so easy it's incredible. I hope that it works for others that are having the same problem Good luck.
Locate the scanpst.exe file on your PC, then click on it to execute the file.

Type the path and file name of the .pst files
Note: The .PST files are always located in the C:\Documents and Settings\<user account>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
(<user account> is the name of your windows account, C: is the system partition where the Operation System locate.)
Click Start.
NOTE: Enable the box of " Make backup of scanned file before repairing " if the PST file need to repair.

Then try to sync the iPhone again. Hopefully this works for you as well as it worked for me.
:(
Tried this workaround.
Thought we were onto something when scanpst.exe found errors in my outlook archive.
Performed a sync after correcting them, but to no avail.
While contacts appears to sync ok, calendar still will not sync.
New entries in either Outlook or iPhone calendars will not show up in the other device after an error free sync.
Still waiting on Apple.
Thank you for posting this potential solution.
I hope it will help others.
:(

dvwatkins

Jul 19, 2007
Finally got it working

Finally got my Outlook 2003 Calendar sync to work. I tried most of the ideas on this forum, but here is what finally worked for me...

I went into my Outlook Calendar and selected view by recurring appointment. I then went into every single one of my annual recurring events and made a small change (just added the type...either birthday or anniversary coding) and then closed them.

The next time I synced, it worked just fine.

So, as far as I can tell, other than the above, you need to make sure that you have reenabled the iTune addins if you disabled when outlook crashed. That is under the help: about microsoft office outlook: disabled items button. Make sure that both addins are checked under the tools: options: other: advanced options com add-ins button. I think that is all you need.

However, other stuff that I did that may have contributed to it all working now...I uninstalled all Palm Treo related software. And I reset my device twice. Also disabled MacAfee antivirus.

Thank you everyone who contributed potential solutions here.

totalsportsnut

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
I hadn't been able to get Outlook 2000 to sync no matter what i tried. After the latest iTunes update my iPhone syncs Outlook contacts and calander without a problem. I sure wish this would've been the case from the git go. At least now it works.:laugh2:

Glenn C

Jul 14, 2007
Finally got my Outlook 2003 Calendar sync to work. I tried most of the ideas on this forum, but here is what finally worked for me...

I went into my Outlook Calendar and selected view by recurring appointment. I then went into every single one of my annual recurring events and made a small change (just added the type...either birthday or anniversary coding) and then closed them.

The next time I synced, it worked just fine.

So, as far as I can tell, other than the above, you need to make sure that you have reenabled the iTune addins if you disabled when outlook crashed. That is under the help: about microsoft office outlook: disabled items button. Make sure that both addins are checked under the tools: options: other: advanced options com add-ins button. I think that is all you need.

However, other stuff that I did that may have contributed to it all working now...I uninstalled all Palm Treo related software. And I reset my device twice. Also disabled MacAfee antivirus.

Thank you everyone who contributed potential solutions here.

Tried to "add the type" to my recurring appts and cannot see where to do so. Can you please explain the clicks to do this? I would like to try your solution on my system. Still not able to sync Outlook 2003 with iPhone.

dvwatkins

Jul 19, 2007
Tried to "add the type" to my recurring appts and cannot see where to do so. Can you please explain the clicks to do this? I would like to try your solution on my system. Still not able to sync Outlook 2003 with iPhone.
I think I can get you there, and sorry for not being more clear the first time...

From your normal calendar view:

Select View: Arrange By: Current View: Recurring Appointments

[At this point, I have a view that is grouped by Daily, Monthly, and Yearly recurrence patterns]

Open each item by double clicking on the icon. [Then, I think you can change anything, but I just selected a label.] Select the drop down next to Label and click the type of label that is appropriate for your recurring event (i.e. Birthday, Anniversary, etc).

[Editorial - I only changed my Yearly recurring items, but you may need to change all of them. I only changed the yearly ones because the daily and monthly recurring items that I had were all very old. I think that the interface with the iPhone had a problem with the format of the recurring items...maybe from a previous version of Outlook. So, when I changed the label and closed the item, Outlook resaved in the correct format].

dvwatkins

Jul 19, 2007
I'm also getting that same message. Nothing else happens.
Perhaps I don't understand your issue, but have you gone to mail settings [in your iPhone] and changed the value under Messages: Show: 25 Recent Messages?

You can set that value up to 200.

tcreagh

Jul 21, 2007
Outlook 2007 | Vista | Calendar will only partial sync

I've tried all the suggestions on this page but I'm at the same place I started. Contacts sync fine but I only get a few of my calendar entries. I can add an event to the iPhone and it syncs to Outlook but if I add an event to the Outlook calendar it doesn't sync and about 20% of my existing calendar entries sync while the others don't. I tried editing one of my existing events and saving it and it synced. I went back and edited three more and none of them will sync.

Frustrating, I spent two hours on the phone with Apple but they don't know what to do at this point.

I guess I'll go back to my blackberry for now as that doesn't have any problems with Outlook. I do love the phone but with out the sync capability I can't use it.

If anyone else comes up with work arounds please post them and I'll do the same.

Thank you