Outlook sync problem

jjjj1047

Jul 7, 2007
NJ Shore
Calendar Sync

:(
Tried this workaround.
Thought we were onto something when scanpst.exe found errors in my outlook archive.
Performed a sync after correcting them, but to no avail.
While contacts appears to sync ok, calendar still will not sync.
New entries in either Outlook or iPhone calendars will not show up in the other device after an error free sync.
Still waiting on Apple.
Thank you for posting this potential solution.
I hope it will help others.
Just curious, did you use scan.pst on your outlook.pst file? You say you did the archive file, but made no mention of the pst file that is the one that actually syncs with the iPhone.

helen567

Jul 22, 2007
Also unable to sync to Outlook 2000

I have also been unable to sync to Outlook 2000 and have one week to figure this out before returning the iPhone. I cannot live with this if it does not sync my calendar. What version did you update iTunes to? I am running version 7.3.1.3 and have no luck with either calendar or contacts. It would have been helpful if Apple in its original ads mentioned that you needed at least Outlook 2003 rather than just saying it synced with Outlook!

I am thinking of updating to Outlook 2007 which besides setting me back almost $90. may still be a problem!:(

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

I hadn't been able to get Outlook 2000 to sync no matter what i tried. After the latest iTunes update my iPhone syncs Outlook contacts and calander without a problem. I sure wish this would've been the case from the git go. At least now it works.:laugh2:

totalsportsnut

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
I have also been unable to sync to Outlook 2000 and have one week to figure this out before returning the iPhone. I cannot live with this if it does not sync my calendar. What version did you update iTunes to? I am running version 7.3.1.3 and have no luck with either calendar or contacts. It would have been helpful if Apple in its original ads mentioned that you needed at least Outlook 2003 rather than just saying it synced with Outlook!

I am thinking of updating to Outlook 2007 which besides setting me back almost $90. may still be a problem!:(

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

I'm sorry to say, but it was the update to iTunes 7.3.1.3 that fixed my problems.

tcreagh

Jul 21, 2007
I have Outlook 2007, and iTunes 7.3.1.3 and I can not sync my calendar to the iPhone so it's probably worth a try but it seems to be hit and miss as to weather or not Outlook can sync to the iPhone.

Sounds like Apple found and fixed some of the problems with the new release just not all of them. I expect they will eventually figure it out but who knows how long it will take...

-tim-

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Don't know if this'll help with iTunes, but when I had an unsolvable issue with Outlook and my Palm Treo creating a new PST and importing everything from my old PST into it worked.

Since I had been using Outlook for years my PST was in Outlook 97-2002 format, whereas I was running Outlook 2003.

So I created a new PST and made sure it was in Outlook 2003 format (Office Outlook Personal Folders File). I did this via Tools-->Options-->Mail Setup tab-->Data Files.

I then made sure I was only using my newly created PST.

Then I went imported everything from my old PST (File-->Import and Export-->Import from another program or file-->Personal Folder File).

I believe I had to setup my mail accounts again, but didn't mind as long as syncing worked.

As of right now my iPhone syncs with Outlook fine, and I still have my Palm Treo. Both actually sync fine, but I should be phasing out the Treo soon.

--
Mike

tcreagh

Jul 21, 2007
Hi Mike,

One of the first things I tried was to export all my information out, create a new PST file and import it back in. I think that did work for some people and it is worth a try but in my case it didn't make any difference.

-tim-

beerman667

Jul 29, 2007
South Florida
Finally got my Outlook 2003 Calendar sync to work. I tried most of the ideas on this forum, but here is what finally worked for me...

I went into my Outlook Calendar and selected view by recurring appointment. I then went into every single one of my annual recurring events and made a small change (just added the type...either birthday or anniversary coding) and then closed them.

The next time I synced, it worked just fine.
This finally did it for me. I am also using Outlook2003 and did not have issues with the add-ins. Luckily I had the benefit of all the previous poster to quickly identify what would work. Thanks to everyone and I hope y'all get your individual issues fixed.

rharrison7345

Jul 29, 2007
Problem Resolved Thanks

This worked! It saved me a lot of frustration thanks!
I was having a lot of the same problems as most on this thread with syncing my outlook 2003 calendar and iPhone. Here is what I did to fix the problem:

1. I was checking the com addin box for Outlook iTunes sync addin and it kept unchecking itself. I solved this by going to Help...About Microsoft Outlook....disabled items....choose outlook iTunes sync addin.

2. After enabling that com add-in, you can then go and check the box:
tools...options....other....advanced options....com add-ins...check the outlook iTunes sync addin

3. After restarting outlook and iTunes, i was still having problems syncing but the final fix was temporarily disabling my norton internet security.

It synced perfectly after that. I was even able to sync contacts (previously I was syncing contacts through the windows option instead of outlook)

Hope this helps everyone. I have been frustrated all day, but it looks as if that is over now!

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Well, I have tried everything on these pages and on the Apple page. Nothing works. My contacts and email sync fine. My calendar will not sync at all. Using Outlook 93, Windows XP, and the latest version of iTunes.

Keep the suggestions coming. I may go to the Apple store tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks!

tennsc

Jun 11, 2007
Apple Care help

First of all I'm running, Windows XP sp2, Office 2003, and iTunes 7.3.xx (latest)

Well I've went through the support on Apple.com and still no worky. But I called the Apple Care and they explained to me that I should make sure I have uploaded all the upgrades for Windows and OFFICE and upload the latest iTunes. Then follow the instructions in Apple.com iPhone support. And particularly, disabling the 3rd party add-in's that should solve the problem.

Well I haven't tried it yet, becasue I don't want my Outlook to crash for the third time and have my IT department rescue my system.

Nevertheless, the Apple Care rep has said that this has fixed many iPhone/Outlook sync issues.

Tenn

jacquiegardner

Jul 31, 2007
Outlook sync issue resolve?

Time zones. Check the settings on the iPhone as well as the settings in Outlook.
Have you gotten your issue resolved. I called Apple, they convinced me I bought a $600 paper weight. I finally figured it out. If you still need help let me know. (you've probably found the fix or taken the phone back by now).

jacquiegardner

Jul 31, 2007
OK seems many people having problems w/outlook cal sync

Well, I have tried everything on these pages and on the Apple page. Nothing works. My contacts and email sync fine. My calendar will not sync at all. Using Outlook 93, Windows XP, and the latest version of iTunes.

Keep the suggestions coming. I may go to the Apple store tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks!
Here's what I had to do:

Settings
General
Date & Time
Make sure the "Set Automatically" is turned off.
Select your time zone.
Set the date and time.
(I have time zone support turned on).

Now you have to get rid of any calendar sync. Dump sync info and resync.

For some reason the automatic sync that iPhone does with the internet keeps it from syncing with the outlook calendar.

Let me know if it works, or you need more info.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Have you gotten your issue resolved. I called Apple, they convinced me I bought a $600 paper weight. I finally figured it out. If you still need help let me know. (you've probably found the fix or taken the phone back by now).
Yeah, I've been syncing for about a couple of weeks now between both the work PC and the home Mac. For me the "solution" was to have the IT dept. provide a newer class of machine. Not a specific solution I know, (i have no idea what it "fixed" by doing that) but it worked.

One thing that I have discovered is that iPhones/iTunes seems to treat the Info tab as a single entity. That is, all the things listed under that tab are considered "one"; if you sync to any portion of it (contacts, calendar, etc) iTunes can sense when it was done from another machine and will prompt you whether you want to replace or merge the data. I always choose merge, and fortunately if the data is the same, iTunes doesn't duplicate it upon sync.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Here's what I had to do:
Make sure the "Set Automatically" is turned off.
For some reason the automatic sync that iPhone does with the internet keeps it from syncing with the outlook calendar.
Interesting. I have "Set Automatically" turned on and it syncs to Outlook calendar fine on this end. (Outlook 2003, XP Pro SP 2)

FWIW, "Set Automatically" means the iPhone is pulling the time/date info from the cell network, not from the computer sync. However, not all of AT&T's cells are well behaved in this regard... I discovered this on occasion during a cross country drive. And certainly if the iPhone time differs from the PC's time, it can create duplicate entries.

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
On the phone with Apple right now trying to solve my problem. Have been on here a half hour. Reinstalled iTunes. Tried to overwrite calendar. Nothing is happening. I am now on hold while he confers with his coworkers.

*SIGH* If the calendar won't sync or I have to do manual steps each time, I am seriously going to have to think about returning.

Doodler

Jul 12, 2007
Success

At long last, after weeks of trying, I finally got my iPhone to sync to the MS Outlook calendar. I am using Outlook 2007 and running under Vista. I had encountered all the same problems described here by so many.

The key, I believe, was disabling all the non-Microsoft com add-ins in Outlook under the Trust Center. Before I did this, I would check the one Apple sync add in and it would never take. Outloook said there was a runtime error with that dll (add-in). After disabling the two non-MS add-ins (one associated with the antivirus program and the other with the Scansoft pdf maker) I plug in the iPhone hit the sync button and it worked.

I hope the Apple software update doesn't affect this success! Now all my calendar items are there. Now if I could just convince the IT folks to let me install iTunes at work so I wouldn't have to export the calendar from my office to a pst file, bring it home, and import it back into Outlook here.

Glenn C

Jul 14, 2007
Just curious, did you use scan.pst on your outlook.pst file? You say you did the archive file, but made no mention of the pst file that is the one that actually syncs with the iPhone.
;)
That is actually a very good question.
I have found that the syncing process is laden with "small inconsistencies" that make me think that iTunes creates a cache file of the calendar and contacts and uses THAT file to sync. I believe the problem is that is does NOT use the actual file resident in Outlook.
The file I scanned was the only file that Outlook uses ("outlook.pst") as the master file for reference when launching (unless you can tell me otherwise). The "archive" file I mentioned WAS the "outlook.pst" file that is the main repository for all outlook data.
Still no luck with syncing my iPhone with Win XP SP2, Outlook 2003, iTunes 7.3.1.3.

I have spent many hours online, and on the phone with Apple. They are aware. They only occasionally admit that this is STILL a problem. (Huh?).
I am amazed with Bill Gates owning almost 1/3 of Apple that there was not more effort made on the MS end to get this s/w up to snuff. There is NOTHING on any MS Knowledge Base about iPhones that I have found.

Just keep on waiting I suppose. Nice $600 paperweight. Cool graphics.

wdoody

Aug 1, 2007
Outlook Crashes before I can make any modifications...

Everytime I start up Outlook 2003, it crashes before I can make any of the changes described on this thread. I get the standard "Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to Close..." Happens everytime.

I've tried repairing with install CD and even reinstalling outlook. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks, Bill

tennsc

Jun 11, 2007
Everytime I start up Outlook 2003, it crashes before I can make any of the changes described on this thread. I get the standard "Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to Close..." Happens everytime.

I've tried repairing with install CD and even reinstalling outlook. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks, Bill

That's the reason I don't want to try to do this again. I've tried twice and no luck. I want to try a third time, but i don't want to call IT again to fix it.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
But on the subsequent start, Outlook should give you the option to turn the offending add-ins off. Are you seeing that prompt or not?