Outlook sync problem

Glenn C

Jul 14, 2007
iPhone version 1.0.1

Last night I decided to wipe my iPhone and try to resync again due to the discovery (by accident I might add) that a new iPhone s/w version was available.
I downloaded the update, wiped the phone, and was hopeful that Outlook would finally sync.
Despite the wisdom of Apple to correct several esoteric flaws in the OS on the iPhone, it appears that the Outlook sync issues are not one of those corrected.
The same sync problems, documented by thousands of us here, are STILL present.

Wonder when this will be a priority to them.

Bill, why the heck don't you get some MS guys on this problem for us?
:eek:

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
a lot of good points in here. i will do some of these steps advised and hopefullly will be able to sync tonite

thanks

tcreagh

Jul 21, 2007
I just installed the iPhone patch from Apple and synched but there is no change.

Problems I have:
Can't search for a contact have to scroll through to find someone
Can't select multiple items such as email to delete have to do it one by one
Can't sync events from Outlook

Basically I think the phone is cool but it is no where near ready for a power user. I have one day left to return it and buy a Blackberry so I'm at the end of the cliff. I was hoping there would be a solution but it looks like I'm a little early.

Maybe someone will come up with an answer tonight, otherwise good luck to you all and thank you to everyone who took the time to put up their work arounds.

-tim-

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Folks, there was a new version of iTunes that just came out today: 7.3.2. It's supposed to fix some bugs. Install it and see if it addresses any of your sync issues with outlook.

VacationMamma

Aug 3, 2007
Vista/Outlook/iPhone Sync Problems continue

Hope the new iTunes works for everyone. It solved my problem immediately.
i got the new iTunes 7.3.2 and it did nothing for me
tried to reset the sync history as they suggested, and I get this error:

OutlookSyncClient.exe has stopped working and windows closed the app

(vista home premium, 32 bit)
also fixed the COM addins item, and no help

i cannot find anything online that refers to this error or problem

anyone know what to do about the windows error?

ibaneye

Jul 14, 2007
(My) Successful Sync Solution

First off, I want to thank all you guys for the many great tips, most all of which I think I tried, unfortunately to no avail. My issue was the same as many of yours'. Contacts were fine, but Calendar would not sync. I did not experience the crashing of Outlook, nor disabling of add-ins, but the syncing would never actually do anything. My final solution, which I got the idea from the AT&T forum, believe it or not, was to uninstall the "Outlook Live Search Maps Add-In." Disabling it was not enough, it needed to be removed altogether. All other add-ins remain installed and checked. The calendar now syncs perfectly. Events created on either side sync to the other. I highly recommend trying this, if you have that add-in installed. As I said before, I'd previously tried almost every suggestion, even the new pst file and uninstall/re-install type solutions. In the end, for me, it was just this one add-in.

Interestingly, I have not read others complaining about another issue I've had since the beginning, which is that, if an iPhone is connected to my PC (either my laptop, or desktop), and iTunes is running, upon eject, or closing of iTunes, iTunes freezes. I have to kill it with Task Manager. Anyone else experience this? Despite this issue, the sync does work just fine now.

I'll cross-post this, so all can see; sorry if you see this post multiple times, I'm just anxious to spread my success :laugh2:.

Oh yeah: Win XP, Outlook 2007, newest iTunes & iPhone s/w.

musiccity

Aug 11, 2007
Still No Joy

I just thought I would add my two cents. After getting my iPhone last Thursday, I have spent at least ten hours trying to get a successful calendar synch. I spoke with Apple Tech Support for about an hour on Friday. (They also indicated to me that the most recent iTunes version has resolved any problems with synching.....) I have tried every suggestion in this thread as well as another I found without success.

My contacts appear to synch. I did fun Scanpst.exe on my primary PST data file and it found errors which were repaired. NOTHING appears to work. I have even tried disabling every COM and ADD IN other than the iTunes Outlook Add-In without success.

The only time I have been able to synch any calendar option is having set up a completely new user account with Admin privaleges. One "test" contact and appointment did synch. Using live data, no luck at all.

This may well be a "deal breaker" for me at this point. I definitely cannot recommend the phone to any businesss clients until the synch process is at least as solid as Activesynch (which isn't always perfect but is much more reliable than this incarnation of Apple's design).

Frankly, I thought my biggest complaint would be the lack of a synch conduit for Outlook's to do list. I rely on this heavily as well as my calendar. Without either, I have a novelty item here with some cool consumer interfaces.

I will keep monitoring this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. I will remain hopeful that some solution presents itself.

JonP

Aug 6, 2007
Houston, TX
Resolved an iphone-Outlook 2007 calendar sync problem

I originally looked into this forum when my wife's iPhone would not sync with her Outlook 2003 calendar. It was here that I learned that the new release of iTunes 7.3.2 resolved the syncing problem. After installing 7.3.2 on her laptop, her iPhone synced her calendar as it was supposed to.

Then I made the big mistake. I "upgraded" my copy of iTunes to 7.3.2 and my Outlook 2007 calendar stopped syncing.

I tried to revert to 7.3.1 (no longer found on the Apple website; found a copy on filehippo.com) and the calendar sync still no longer worked. Spent about 2.5 hours on the phone with Apple support uninstalling and re-installing software, setting up new users, new calendars and the sync still didn't work. However, the Apple tech did give me some useful advice which I later applied to my original solution - to roll-back the iTunes version to 7.3.1 that worked.

Here's the trick that worked for me -- The uninstall function in the Windows control panel does not remove all components of iTunes. You must remove the following four application programs in this order. Do not re-boot until all 4 applications and other folders/files are removed.
1) Apple Mobile Device Support
2) Quicktime
3) iTunes
4) Apple Software Update
After these applications are removed, navigate to the Program Files folder and remove any folders (and the files contained within) labeled Quicktime and iTunes. Also remove any iTunes or Quicktime folders/files from the c:\WINDOWS\system32 directory.
Then re-boot.

Following the re-boot, open Outlook 2007 and remove the iTunes Outlook Addin. I found that the addin was made "inactive;" it needs to be removed. Remove it by clicking "Go" on the Manage COM Addins dialog box, highlighting the iTunes addin(s) and clicking remove. Quit Outlook.

Then re-install iTunes 7.3.1. Make sure that you unclick the checkbox during the install that enables automatic iTunes updates.

That did it for me. I'm back syncing my Outlook calendar again.

FrankMcL

Bronze
Thanks for the detailed suggestion

I originally looked into this forum when my wife's iPhone would not sync with her Outlook 2003 calendar. It was here that I learned that the new release of iTunes 7.3.2 resolved the syncing problem. After installing 7.3.2 on her laptop, her iPhone synced her calendar as it was supposed to.

Then I made the big mistake. I "upgraded" my copy of iTunes to 7.3.2 and my Outlook 2007 calendar stopped syncing.

I tried to revert to 7.3.1 (no longer found on the Apple website; found a copy on filehippo.com) and the calendar sync still no longer worked. Spent about 2.5 hours on the phone with Apple support uninstalling and re-installing software, setting up new users, new calendars and the sync still didn't work. However, the Apple tech did give me some useful advice which I later applied to my original solution - to roll-back the iTunes version to 7.3.1 that worked.

Here's the trick that worked for me -- The uninstall function in the Windows control panel does not remove all components of iTunes. You must remove the following four application programs in this order. Do not re-boot until all 4 applications and other folders/files are removed.
1) Apple Mobile Device Support
2) Quicktime
3) iTunes
4) Apple Software Update
After these applications are removed, navigate to the Program Files folder and remove any folders (and the files contained within) labeled Quicktime and iTunes. Also remove any iTunes or Quicktime folders/files from the c:\WINDOWS\system32 directory.
Then re-boot.

Following the re-boot, open Outlook 2007 and remove the iTunes Outlook Addin. I found that the addin was made "inactive;" it needs to be removed. Remove it by clicking "Go" on the Manage COM Addins dialog box, highlighting the iTunes addin(s) and clicking remove. Quit Outlook.

Then re-install iTunes 7.3.1. Make sure that you unclick the checkbox during the install that enables automatic iTunes updates.

That did it for me. I'm back syncing my Outlook calendar again.
Unfortunately I'm using Vista and 2007...when I WAS using 2003 it synced OK.
I refuse to use "outdated" software just to sync the iPhone. I'm calling tech support at Apple if they can't get it working I'm buying a PPC6800 with Windows Mobile 6. Not as elegant but much more functional. I'll forward the AT&T calls to my Sprint # which, fortunately, I did not deactivate..this just became a $3,000 exercise. Hopefully in the near future Apple will get the businesss end of things going.
Now...all you crab Apples leave me alone! Present company excepted<G>.

johnc-onward

Aug 24, 2007
Fix for iCalendar sync problem: iPhone iCal sync can't handle blank "subject" lines

I ran into this problem with a client. It seems the iCal sync utility bombs if it runs into any calendar items with a blank "subject" line. To fix this easily in Outlook 2003, go to your calendar and change your "View" (under "Views" menu) to "all Appointments". Then delete or add a subject to any calendar entry without one. Then re-run the sync. Reset your view back to normal when done. John Onward Technologies (http://www.onwardtek.com)

FrankMcL

Bronze
Any and all advise and or ideas is appreciated

I ran into this problem with a client. It seems the iCal sync utility bombs if it runs into any calendar items with a blank "subject" line. To fix this easily in Outlook 2003, go to your calendar and change your "View" (under "Views" menu) to "all Appointments". Then delete or add a subject to any calendar entry without one. Then re-run the sync. Reset your view back to normal when done. John Onward Technologies (http://www.onwardtek.com)
Now running Vista and 2007, did check calendar, all subject lines are complete.

dpatduke

Aug 26, 2007
I only see one iTunes choice in the COM add-ins - not two. I'm using Outlook 2003 and can sync my contacts but not the calendar. Thanks.

At last! Go to Outook. On menu, go to Tools/Options. Pick the Other tab, then Advanced Options. Look for COM Add-Ins and select the two iTunes choices.

Voila!

JonP

Aug 6, 2007
Houston, TX
Try a complete uninstall and re-install

I recommend the complete uninstall as described in Post #112 in this thread. Then re-install using the version of iTunes that works for you. 7.3.2 worked with Outlook 2003 for my wife's phone.

btc

Aug 26, 2007
I seem to have a slightly different sync problem. I loaded my data from Treo into MS outlook 2003 without a problem. Then sync to iPhone with no problems for contacts. The calendar sync'd but about 5 hrs off on just about every event. The time zones are correct for both outlook and iPhone. I manually changed/corrected the times for all future events in the iPhone and then sync'd again (since outlook still had the correct times). Now I have many duplicate events with the correct and the incorrect (by about 5 hrs) in both outlook and iPhone for the future events. Note, all previous events that I did not manually correct where left alone and still remain correctly timed in outlook but 5 hrs off in iPhone. Help!

bobmva

Aug 20, 2007
I'm syncing after 90 days

My calendars have not synced for 90 days. I'm running XP and 2003. I followed this advice. Also archived my calendar pre 01/01/06. I left it in "All Active Appointments", performed a sync and started getting appointment reminders on my computer. All my dates are synced. Thank you.

btc

Aug 26, 2007
Just figured my problem out! Even though I did this before, I tried it again. If anyone is noticing that their calendars are syncing a few hours off from what is showing up in outlook (for me it was 5), do this:

Make sure your outlook and computer time zones are correct. Actually change the time zone and then change it back to the correct one. Now do the same thing on your iPhone. For me, even though the time was correct (I have date and time set automatically on) I had to turn time zone support off and then on again. When I did, "Houston" came on by itself (where I live). Next time I sync'd it was all perfect!

ShrinkSteve

Aug 29, 2007
Version?

I just thought I would add my two cents. After getting my iPhone last Thursday, I have spent at least ten hours trying to get a successful calendar synch. I spoke with Apple Tech Support for about an hour on Friday. (They also indicated to me that the most recent iTunes version has resolved any problems with synching.....) I have tried every suggestion in this thread as well as another I found without success.

Frankly, I thought my biggest complaint would be the lack of a synch conduit for Outlook's to do list. I rely on this heavily as well as my calendar. Without either, I have a novelty item here with some cool consumer interfaces.

I will keep monitoring this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. I will remain hopeful that some solution presents itself.

What version of Outlook are you using? One thing that I found I had to do with Windows was exit Outlook, sync, then reopen Outlook. I never have to do this on My Mac at home, but iTunes won't access the data from Outlook as long as it is open on my desktop. I had a Blackberry Pearl before my iPhone and never had this problem. However, the Pearl was a lousy phone with bugs galore. I too need my notes from my Outlook and am frustrated that there is no conduit.

Just once I'd like to see someone like Apple, especially Apple, work out the kinks before bringing something like this to market!