partial Outlook 2007 calendar sync

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
BIG THANKS to KenP917 and others ...
...used your solution, and so far things are "back to normal" and syncing well.
I have the same setup as you Ken, (iPhone 3G / XP / Outlook 07 / iTunes 7.7.0.43) but I also have GoogleCalendar sync running, and hopefully the next time it syncs with GoogleCalendar it won't duplicate everything that I deleted, and restored... will let u know ;)

...p.s. For those who are wondering if your "colors" of your Outlook appointments are retained when you save a Tab file, .... YES! (all your colored appts maintain their colors! )

angie2

Jul 19, 2008
Outlook 2007 syncing problem

Hi there.

Just wondering whether the fix is a one-time "permanent" solution or whether it is only temporary (as far as people have noticed). Just got the iPhone this week and would have to invest in a current version of outlook to be able to make the most of the phone and my pc. However, if the syncing is a huge recurring problem I may just return the phone before the trial period ends.

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks!

Thanks to everyone for some great posts and brainstorming. I'm glad to see that some people have resolved the issue with Outlook 2007 and their iPhone. I've tried everything mentioned in this forum for my Outlook 2007 (scanpst, IPM.Appointment , etc), none of which have worked. Here is what finally worked and this is what I did to get there. From my conclusion the problem (for me) was a Microsoft Outlook issue.

My configurations
iPhone 3G
iTunes 7.7.0.43
Windows XP SP 3
Outlook 2007

My Diagnosis
I’ve used Outlook for years and have gone through upgrades as far back as Office 2000. Every time I upgrade, as part of the upgrade process, Outlook converts the previous PST file for me. According to this solution, it may be a better idea to export info and then bring it back in to an empty file to best insure no damage to the records – Recurring events in old files seemed to be the issue here (birthdays, anniversaries, etc). Contacts were syncing fine, but Appointments to and from the iPhone were not. From what I’ve read, files from older versions of Outlook retained properties not compatible with Outlook 2007 or the iPhone for that matter, but are readable by Outlook 2007 and look the same as all other records within the program.

1. Export your Outlook 2007 calendar data “to a file” for backup. Check the file size to make sure you collected the data to be sure. YOU NEED TO EXPORT AS A WINDOWS TAB FILE. – But I would also save as a PST for backup purposes. Only IMPORT THE TAB FILE IN THIS PROCESS.
2. From within a list view, select all your data and then delete all of the calendar data so there are no more events. This is a pain, because you will most likely have to cancel some events, notifying attendees (oh well @ this point no gonna care)
3. Now that you have a blank calendar, create an appointment on your iPhone and one in Outlook and then sync.

Test to see if it works. This worked for me. If it does, you are on your way there.

4. Now import the TAB file with all your appointments. This should do it. NOTE: When I imported the TAB file it worked,, but I tried importing the PST backup I made (even after running SCANPST) and I was back to the same problem

Hope this works for you!

Thanks for everyone’s contribution. This only took me ALL DAY! I hope this helps!

kenp917

Jul 13, 2008
Seems to be a permanent fix

Angie,

Since I did this, I have tons of appointments that need to be synced daily. This seems to truly solve the problem. I sync appointments back and forth all the time now, without any issues. The process I described can be completed in less than 30 minutes.

Good luck!

Ken

Hi there.

Just wondering whether the fix is a one-time "permanent" solution or whether it is only temporary (as far as people have noticed). Just got the iPhone this week and would have to invest in a current version of outlook to be able to make the most of the phone and my pc. However, if the syncing is a huge recurring problem I may just return the phone before the trial period ends.

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks!

kimitechi

Jul 22, 2008
Long Beach
It Worked!

Ken, I'm new to posting here, but I could just weep after reading your instructions, following them, and finally being able to solve the Outlook calendar syncing problem. It worked like a charm. I've spent a fair number of hours browsing the forums to look for a solution, because I'm not a techie and don't understand most of the instructions offered up.

This was understandable and it worked! I'm thrilled to have my syncing back in order.

Hoping Apple will get on it one of these days. Thank you so much for sharing your solution with us!

Angie,

Since I did this, I have tons of appointments that need to be synced daily. This seems to truly solve the problem. I sync appointments back and forth all the time now, without any issues. The process I described can be completed in less than 30 minutes.

Good luck!

Ken

3g4all

Jul 23, 2008
What about .ost files

I have an .ost file because on our network I connect to MS Exchange server. Any thoughts on how I can work with an .ost?

Thanks to everyone for some great posts and brainstorming. I'm glad to see that some people have resolved the issue with Outlook 2007 and their iPhone. I've tried everything mentioned in this forum for my Outlook 2007 (scanpst, IPM.Appointment , etc), none of which have worked. Here is what finally worked and this is what I did to get there. From my conclusion the problem (for me) was a Microsoft Outlook issue.

My configurations
iPhone 3G
iTunes 7.7.0.43
Windows XP SP 3
Outlook 2007

My Diagnosis
I’ve used Outlook for years and have gone through upgrades as far back as Office 2000. Every time I upgrade, as part of the upgrade process, Outlook converts the previous PST file for me. According to this solution, it may be a better idea to export info and then bring it back in to an empty file to best insure no damage to the records – Recurring events in old files seemed to be the issue here (birthdays, anniversaries, etc). Contacts were syncing fine, but Appointments to and from the iPhone were not. From what I’ve read, files from older versions of Outlook retained properties not compatible with Outlook 2007 or the iPhone for that matter, but are readable by Outlook 2007 and look the same as all other records within the program.

1. Export your Outlook 2007 calendar data “to a file” for backup. Check the file size to make sure you collected the data to be sure. YOU NEED TO EXPORT AS A WINDOWS TAB FILE. – But I would also save as a PST for backup purposes. Only IMPORT THE TAB FILE IN THIS PROCESS.
2. From within a list view, select all your data and then delete all of the calendar data so there are no more events. This is a pain, because you will most likely have to cancel some events, notifying attendees (oh well @ this point no gonna care)
3. Now that you have a blank calendar, create an appointment on your iPhone and one in Outlook and then sync.

Test to see if it works. This worked for me. If it does, you are on your way there.

4. Now import the TAB file with all your appointments. This should do it. NOTE: When I imported the TAB file it worked,, but I tried importing the PST backup I made (even after running SCANPST) and I was back to the same problem

Hope this works for you!

Thanks for everyone’s contribution. This only took me ALL DAY! I hope this helps!

BigP

Jul 23, 2008
How to Fix this problem!

From you iPhone homepage go to: Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calenders; scroll down to the bottom of that page change Time Support Zone to the correct place, e.g. London, UK or wherever you are based.

That's it!

atobz

Jul 23, 2008
Ken,

I can't say thank-you enough for this workaround. I don't usually recognize the great suggestions people have in forums, but for once yours was right on the mark.

-Ken

angie2

Jul 19, 2008
thank you, thank you

Thank you so much, Ken, for sharing your fix. Worked like a charm!

Angie

Angie,

Good luck!

Ken

fordgt

Aug 1, 2008
Colors in my iPhone calendar

All of my calendar colors for appointments are red. They did not sync the same colors as my calendar in Outlook 2007 using Vista 64. Is there a way to make them the same as on my laptop calerdar?

BIG THANKS to KenP917 and others ...
...used your solution, and so far things are "back to normal" and syncing well.
I have the same setup as you Ken, (iPhone 3G / XP / Outlook 07 / iTunes 7.7.0.43) but I also have GoogleCalendar sync running, and hopefully the next time it syncs with GoogleCalendar it won't duplicate everything that I deleted, and restored... will let u know ;)

...p.s. For those who are wondering if your "colors" of your Outlook appointments are retained when you save a Tab file, .... YES! (all your colored appts maintain their colors! )