Passcode or no?

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Never have used a passcode in three years.

Using one will not stop someone from stealing an iPhone since all they have to do is restore the phone and it can be used again.

phnormal

Jul 22, 2010
http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/07/24/2218201/iphone-3Gs-Encryption-Cracked-In-Two-Minutes?from=rssti

Having read this is there any point anyway?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Never have used a passcode in three years.

Using one will not stop someone from stealing an iPhone since all they have to do is restore the phone and it can be used again.
That is not really the point.

The point is that even if you don't think your personal information is important, or maybe you don't have much of it in your iPhone, it can still be dangerous if it gets in the wrong hands. In this thread we saw someone's boss being called in the middle of the night by the kid who found his iPhone. That might have been a joke but there are a lot of sick people out there, some of whom have nothing better to do than try and screw with people (I have some anonymous nut harassing me now, so maybe I am jaded).

Also, if you think you "always" will have it with you so you will never need to lock it, think again. There are countless ways you can become separated from it.

I have ICE on my lock screen wallpaper, with a "Reward if found!" message too. Maybe it's overkill but it makes me feel better. :)

Michael

E Pow

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I don't use a passcode. I turn my device on and off too many times a day. I do understand though it's important if I lost my phone or if it was stolen. I take the risk of that hopefully not happening to me.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You put ICE on Lock Screen by creating a photo with text added?
Yes I edited my wallpaper so my text is visible from the lock screen, and with the passcode entry box up.

Passcode is set for 15 min.

Michael

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Thanks. I like that idea. ICE wouldn't be too useful if you were laying unconscious somewhere and your iPhone was locked!

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Always and I use the app 'If Found Plus'. When you turn the iPad or iPhone on it displays the contact information in the back ground and is visible behind the keypad for code entry. I use a 5 minute delay.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Here is a bit more info regarding the passcode lock...

Even if you don't have "Erase Data" set to on, anyone trying to get into your iPhone still essentially only has 10 attempts.

Once you have entered an incorrect passcode 6 times, the iPhone will prevent trying again for 1 minute. If you get the 7th attempt wrong you must wait 5 minutes. Get the 8th attempt wrong, you wait 15 minutes, then 60 minutes if you get the 9th attempt wrong.

If you get the 10th attempt wrong and you don't have the passcode set to erase data after 10 failed attempts, the iPhone will still be locked out from any further passcode attempts. You must use iTunes, on the same computer you sync to already, in order to unlock it again. So there is a measure of security even if erase data is not turned on.

If you do have "erase" data set to on, it will happen after that 10th attempt. But if you were worried that perhaps your 3-year-old nephew might randomly punch numbers into your iPhone's lock screen, and wipe it out in under a minute, that won't happen.

Moreover, on iPhone 4's and 3GS's data isn't actually "erased." What it does do is remove the encryption key on the iPhone, so the data is essentially inaccessible. On the 1G and 3G iPhones, which lack the hardware encryption of the 4/3GS, the iPhone literally wipes over every bit on the disk image to erase it, a process that can take hours to complete.

Finally, will the passcode lock-out prevent, say, an FBI forensic expert, from getting to your data? Or a good hacker? Probably not. But for most of us here I'd venture to say our iPhone is not likely to end up in those hands. And I would never argue that just because there is some chance your data can still be retrieved that there is no point in using this feature.

Michael

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Here is a bit more info regarding the passcode lock...

Even if you don't have "Erase Data" set to on, anyone trying to get into your iPhone still essentially only has 10 attempts.

Once you have entered an incorrect passcode 6 times, the iPhone will prevent trying again for 1 minute. If you get the 7th attempt wrong you must wait 5 minutes. Get the 8th attempt wrong, you wait 15 minutes, then 60 minutes if you get the 9th attempt wrong.

If you get the 10th attempt wrong and you don't have the passcode set to erase data after 10 failed attempts, the iPhone will still be locked out from any further passcode attempts. You must use iTunes, on the same computer you sync to already, in order to unlock it again. So there is a measure of security even if erase data is not turned on.

If you do have "erase" data set to on, it will happen after that 10th attempt. But if you were worried that perhaps your 3-year-old nephew might randomly punch numbers into your iPhone's lock screen, and wipe it out in under a minute, that won't happen.

Moreover, on iPhone 4's and 3GS's data isn't actually "erased." What it does do is remove the encryption key on the iPhone, so the data is essentially inaccessible. On the 1G and 3G iPhones, which lack the hardware encryption of the 4/3GS, the iPhone literally wipes over every bit on the disk image to erase it, a process that can take hours to complete.

Finally, will the passcode lock-out prevent, say, an FBI forensic expert, from getting to your data? Or a good hacker? Probably not. But for most of us here I'd venture to say our iPhone is not likely to end up in those hands. And I would never argue that just because there is some chance your data can still be retrieved that there is no point in using this feature.

Michael
Do you have a source for all this info?

jb829904

Contributor
Silver
Jun 24, 2010
MO
Okay, I hate to sound stupid, but I'm needing a little more on the I.C.E. stuff. Mine is just default I guess; its locked but the I.C.E. option is at the bottom right so someone could still call or what not if my head was bashed in and I needed an ambulance. It sounds like you guys are talking about just the text "In Case of Emergency" without actually having the option for someone to enter it? Am I confused?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Okay, I hate to sound stupid, but I'm needing a little more on the I.C.E. stuff. Mine is just default I guess; its locked but the I.C.E. option is at the bottom right so someone could still call or what not if my head was bashed in and I needed an ambulance. It sounds like you guys are talking about just the text "In Case of Emergency" without actually having the option for someone to enter it? Am I confused?
The emergency call feature is not really ICE.... ICE is one or more of your numbers to call should you be hurt, or if your iPhone is lost and found by somebody (who wants to get it back to you).

The emergency call feature lets someone, including yourself, call for help ASAP without needing to enter any passcode.

There is at least one app store ICE app but to me it is pointless because you have to get into the iPhone to run it.

The app mentioned a few posts back, If Found +, does what I have been doing with my iPhones for 3 years now: it adds text to your wallpaper image that is visible for the passcode entry screen. It's only .99 and is probably worth it for the time it would save in not having to manually add that to your wallpaper with an image editor. I might buy it because I end up getting locked into my wallpaper, since I have to use the few that have been edited. With that app you can add the text to any wallpaper you want to use, right from the iPhone.

Michael

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
For the past 2 days (maybe more, I wasn't paying attention) what I chose for my lock screen has not been showing up. I had set something and now I never see it. I have tried to reset it several times and rebooting iPhone 4 hasn't brought it back. The home screen choice works fine. Any suggestions? TIA