Password prompt app store.

silverhawk

Sep 14, 2008
Hey guys,

Since past few days, everytime i open app store on my iPhone 3g the password prompt pops up. But all the pages load up. Even if you cancel that pop up without entring the password it still loads all the app pages, but an error message pops saying cannot retrieve download information, please connect to iTunes.

I checked it with my friends iPhone3g and everything is ok with his phone. Does anyone have the same problem or can anyone help me out.

Thanks.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
It means you have a download pending somewhere, and it's asking for your authorization to download it. Try typing it to see if there's a difference next time.

silverhawk

Sep 14, 2008
It means you have a download pending somewhere, and it's asking for your authorization to download it. Try typing it to see if there's a difference next time.
Thx, u mean typing the password? If so, ive also tried typing with the password and when i open the app store after a while the password prompt pops up again :(

paul_h

Nov 22, 2008
This is happening for me too... I can't figure it out. Also iTunes itself is acting strangly, saying the store is unavailable when I know it is.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
fROM TIME TO TIME iTUNES will go on a password binge!. I have no explanation why, but it does. Just enter it when it asks and it will get tired of asking for a while.

silverhawk

Sep 14, 2008
This is happening for me too... I can't figure it out. Also iTunes itself is acting strangly, saying the store is unavailable when I know it is.
THx to leo, my problem's solved. I had a download pending, i remebr a while ago while d'loading an app i did something and the app didn't fully diownload. But i jus couldnt remebr which one was that. SO i checked my mail as appstore sends u receipt for the apps u downloaded. And i found out that particular app downloaded it again. Now everythings working as normal, no more password prompt evrytime i open appstore.

So if you have the same issue, try this and it should be fine.

Cheers!

laurence.sorbello

Jul 17, 2009
The Mother Load Of iPhone Issues....

I have an iPhone which does similar things, it asks for password on entering app store, but I understand thats because of pending downloads.

I had an iPhone 3g with Optus Australia.
I got a second contract recently with the iPhone 3gs put my sim card in it and gave my sister my old iPhone 3g with the new sim card from new contract. It seems ever since Optus opened up their tethering capabilities I have been having issues downloading applications from the app store through both phones. They are both reaching the moment when it would install the application, then the progress bar starts again and it continues to loop until the error message saying, unable to download application, please download from iTunes (computer). If I use the iPhone with tethering to try and download from iTunes it fails to work as well, faults out right at the end with errors like error -100000...

Now,, if I download app through wifi connection on phone it will always work fine on both handsets. (the same with iTunes on computer)

If I start the download on the phone through 3g, pause it, turn off the phone, and then restart the phone and download, it works fine through 3g.

Now I know what your thinking, handset right, hmmm, why on two different iPhones 3g/3gs. also if I put my iTunes store account on telstra iPhone 3gs or 3g apps download fine so nothing to do with app store account I think.

Other sim cards from optus inserted into my phone also have the same effect, and after inserting someone elses sim card in my phone, they started having similar issues once returning their sim card to their iPhone.

I have talked to Apple for 1 hr / iTunes x 10 emails / Optus x 5 times + sim replacement and 3hrs trouble shooting in store. I would send my phone away, but I just cannot accept this issue is hardware related as happening on both my phones, first on the 3g at date of optus tethering release, and then problem continued with both devices once purchased.

My first child will be given to the genius that can string this issue up, I actually work in tech faults for an Australian Carrier, and this issue is just about sending me crazy... thanks

albi90

Jul 29, 2009
Optus iPhone

I also have an iPhone 3g with Optus and cannot fully download/install apps (I can using your pause and restart trick thanks), I think optus need to fix this problem as the iPhone tries to re-download the application 3 times before saying it cant download, I have checked my usage after doing this and the application is indeed downloaded 3 times in full this can effect your data cap immensely.

This problem is also only related Optus i have tried a Vodafone sim and it works perfectly.

I think Optus will have a few TIO complaints soon