Pay for Apps on Installer?

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Has anyone noticed that there seem to be more NON free apps on Installer lately?

Moleskine, Time Capsule, some new book app.

What I find to be irritating is:

They used to give you the app for nothing and occasionally ask for a donation.
Then it changed to "We will give you one PART of the app, but you have to donate for ALL of the app to work"
Then: You WILL donate X amount of dollars. Not what YOU want to donate, what I want you to donate.
Then: $35 for a book reader!

The story is changing and changing fast.
I was originally concerned that with the new phone, Apple was going to scam us on the apps, (like they do on iTunes).
Now I am sure of it.

If a 3rd party developer is going to DEMAND $35 dollars for a book reader, what in God's name is Apple going to charge us for the apps they INTENTIONALLY do not include with the new iPhone?

We shall see.

Good Day

Dana

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I feel less irritated and less pessimistic than you Dana.

Less irritated because I don't see any of the progression of this as being unreasonable. I think it's natural that the vast majority of iPhone devs would be willing initially to offer their apps for free in order to get exposure for them that would be difficult to garner if they didn't - and then when their apps reach a stage of maturity and have a proven track record with a good number of users, beging charging for them. I imagine some musicians will play for free on their way up, so to speak, in order to gain recognition and make their way in that world - but once they are earning a living doing it and have proved they are accomplished at it, they would not expect to play for free any longer.

Less pessimistic because I think $35 book / doc readers (I noticed that one today too) will get nowhere. That price just strikes me as too high, certainly for that type of app and certainly since Mobipocket (a long established mobile ebooks platform with a ton of good content) has announced they will be coming to the iPhone. Also less pessimistic because Apple has made clear they will allow free apps to be distributed via the App Store as well as paid for ones - so I think pricing will not be dictated by Apple - but rather by publishers and market demand etc.

I think it has been huge fun to play with and use a lot of excellent free apps for all these months - but I absolutely do not have any hard feelings towards any of the developers of good, solid apps who want to take their apps to the App Store side of the road and start charging for them.

I just bought my first jailbreak app tonight in fact - the iPhone Video Recorder app - and feel good about the purchase ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The thing about apps right now is that it's the wild wild west, so to speak. There are no rules. Therefore, some have chosen to go the free route, others have gone the "hey, our app rocks, let's go for it!" route. And due to the limited number of selections, limited market (i.e. jailbroken iPhones), and the ambiguous nature of these startup companies, the numbers we're seeing right now are all over the map.

I have a feeling the market will bear a bit more pressure once all these apps are squeezed through the door of the Appstore. An appearance there should garner at least a modicum of trust, plus we will start seeing a great variety of apps in each category instead of just one or two. Then I think the numbers will be more reasonable.

Normally I'd say the price range for an app would be under 10 for a game, under 20 for some productive. But I have a feeling iPhone apps will really blow out the doors of exptectations as far as what you can do on the go, so maybe add $10 to each of those.

freakydeaky dutch bastard

Silver
Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
I've noticed too, Dana. But, I'm really excited about what's to come. I think we're going to see some quality applications. It's a unique situation the freeware vs. appstore thing. Who will prevail?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I will say this. If certain applications don't make it over to the Appstore in some fashion, it's going to take a lot for me to go "legit". I'm looking forward to a jailbroken iPhone with an Appstore.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
For the most part, I wouldn't pay one red penny for some fools buggy half ass app. As a matter of fact, there is not one single app out there worth anything more than thanks. What a joke!

Shall we start with iPhoneringtonemaker?!

Bunch of thieves.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Whoa... it does that?

When it does it over Edge, I'm sold.
From the youtube video it looks like it does work on your network over edge. Want I want to know is to you need a fixed IP address?

I am not jailbroken and I can wait for the App store, I am willing to pay for good apps and good music. Just as I expect to be paid for the good work I do!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I wonder how long it will take before an App Store developer is selling the same app for a few bucks cheaper. I'm guessing there is probably something in the app store agreement that demands exclusivity or is there? If this does occur, it'll be just another reason to jailbreak your iPhone. Same app, less money. The first few weeks, months of the App Store is going to be interesting.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i agree with patrick - i think that the market will help set prices for apps sold via the app store, and developers who demand ridiculous prices for their apps will simply not sell any and will be forced to reconsider their pricing strategy. i'm looking forward very much to the app store to see what's going to be offered. i do think Apple will somehow make sure that there are some neat and reasonably-priced apps available at the start (either developed by a partner like google or by themselves). they never got too crazy with the ipod games (i think they're all only $4.99, right?) and i'm hopeful that they'll see the value in offering some good stuff cheaply.

Silver
Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
Regarding the Touchpad fray in this thread, there is a free VNC viewer called VNsea that works just as well as Touchpad (thanks John for pointing this out). It too has the screenview option. The only differences I could see are their methods of selecting items on the desktop. The two are really quite similar in every other aspect. Touchpad has a normal pointer and VNsea has two little dots; red and green. The two dot thing is actually kinda’ cool. It allows for drawing a selection box around, say, a group of icons on your desktop.

As for the ability for these viewers to work over the edge network, it might work, but the bandwidth required to constantly refresh the screen image is huge. I’ve found that even with the best wifi connection both viewers do not play well with the doc on my mac. The latency of refreshing makes it jumpy. Hard to explain; you’d really have to play with it to see what I mean.

Anyway, for anyone considering a VNC viewer just to tool around with, I would recommend VNsea. And, if you’re on a mac, the Vine server application to pair with it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Regarding the Touchpad fray in this thread, there is a free VNC viewer called VNsea that works just as well as Touchpad (thanks John for pointing this out). It too has the screenview option. The only differences I could see are their methods of selecting items on the desktop. The two are really quite similar in every other aspect. Touchpad has a normal pointer and VNsea has two little dots; red and green. The two dot thing is actually kinda’ cool. It allows for drawing a selection box around, say, a group of icons on your desktop.

As for the ability for these viewers to work over the edge network, I don’t see that happening. The bandwidth required to constantly refresh the screen image is huge. I’ve found that even with the best wifi connection both viewers do not play well with the doc on my mac. The latency of refreshing makes it jumpy. Hard to explain; you’d really have to play with it to see what I mean.

Anyway, for anyone considering a VNC viewer just to tool around with, I would recommend VNsea. And, if you’re on a mac, the Vine server application to pair with it.
Cool post - thanks for it. I have been meaning to find out what is the best VNC server side app on the Mac - will now give Vine a look ...

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
If you had owned a PalmOS device, I think you'd have had a good idea as to how this is going to shake out. There will be lots of free apps, lots of shareware apps (if the Apple store is set up for that model), and some commercial apps. The market will ultimately dictate price/sales as mentioned above.

Now, of course, this depends on how much Apple interferes with ...errr... helps the developers and how they set up the App Store - which is something that PalmOS didn't have to worry about.

Silver
Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
If you had owned a PalmOS device, I think you'd have had a good idea as to how this is going to shake out. There will be lots of free apps, lots of shareware apps (if the Apple store is set up for that model), and some commercial apps. The market will ultimately dictate price/sales as mentioned above.

Now, of course, this depends on how much Apple interferes with ...errr... helps the developers and how they set up the App Store - which is something that PalmOS didn't have to worry about.
If I remember correctly, Stevo said developers could push their product at the appstore for free, if they felt so inclined.

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Normally I'd say the price range for an app would be under 10 for a game, under 20 for some productive. But I have a feeling iPhone apps will really blow out the doors of exptectations as far as what you can do on the go, so maybe add $10 to each of those.
It's definitely a delicate balance - personally I have a hard time paying $20 for an app, unless I am going to get a ton of use and it's user friendly. At $10 a pop I would probably buy more apps than I'd ever use.

Where this is a relatively new product, who knows how it will play out.