Phantom Ns and Ms.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
So anyone else suffer from this affliction? It goes something like this: You are typing along at a pretty good clip and when you look up you realize that instead of hitting the space bar you've been hitting the letter n or m. It looks something like this: Younrealizenthatninsteadnof

Now that's both annoying and funny at the same time. While typing this post I've done it about 7 times. I just need a little more separation between the spacebar and my n/m keys. Or I need to slow my typing down. One of the two.

Magicman4131

Bronze
Jul 25, 2009
California
This happens with my iPad and iPhone. I just slowed down a little and started to try putting my thumb lower when I type then I gradually start to get faster and I have already adjusted to not doing that. Just go slow and do it right then go faster. Takes a couple days.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I run into this all the time. It seems to come and go in waves for me... I'll go through periods where my thumb just never seems to reach the spacebar. Being aware of it and slowing down just a bit usually helps. Typing in landscape helps for me, too, as I generally type in portrait.

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
Happens to me all the time. Buggers the hell outta me!
Between The iPhone spell check, not hitting the space bar, and accidentally hitting the intenational keyboard and having random smiley emojis
I'm sure my friends think I text like a friggin drunkard.

Diane B

Bronze
Apr 20, 2010
Me, me, me. I think it will be better when I get the Apple case and it sits at a better angle. As it is now I'm always looking for something to tilt it a bit. Sometimes I can type if I scrunch my knees up and lean it against my knees but hardly good for public LOL. Def better typing in landscape but still have those times.

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
Never really noticed this before but as I type this right now I don't seem to be having that issue. I have noticed that on a few occasions the keyboard changes a bit in size or arrangement depending on the app im using and I end up hitting the P instead of the backspace and vice versa. That one drives me crazy.

I wonder if the N and M thing has to do with the size of hands? Woman vs. Man hands? When i type, too, I'm noticing the tip of my thumb is hitting the very bottom of the space bar, not even coming close to the letters.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Well at least I know it's not just me then! It drives me crazy when I'm really in the zone typing up an email or something and look up to see a whole paragraph or more strung together with Ms and Ns. I've almost frisbee'd the iPad a few times after that.