Pics not showing up in camera roll?

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
DW has an unjailbroken 3gs that all of a sudden wont show pics in the camera roll. She can take a picture with the camera or snapshot (home&power buttons) and it will show up on the thumbnail of the roll, but not in the roll... Anyone heard this or fix this? I don't want to do a restore as she is on 3.0.1 and uses the tethering frequently.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Wow. Haven't really heard of this problem before. The only other solution I can think of to do a restore. But before you do, let's see if anyone else might have a solution. Hate to do a restore if it isn't totally necessary.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I'm gonna sleep on it, see if a solution presents itself. Tomorrow work on a restore. I'll update here for others.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Have you tried a hard reset. May be a waste of time but only takes a minute and it's not a restore. With the phone on just press and hold both the power button and the home button and don't let go until after the phone shuts off and the Apple reappears.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Have you tried a hard reset. May be a waste of time but only takes a minute and it's not a restore. With the phone on just press and hold both the power button and the home button and don't let go until after the phone shuts off and the Apple reappears.
Good suggestion. no dice though. didn't work.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Have you tried deleting all the pics that are just thumbnails and then restarting the phone and then taking another shot. Grasping at straws I know but it's all I can think of.:(

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
The solutions I found listed for this problem (other than restore as new device) all involve having a jailbroken iPhone as you have to ssh into the root folders to fix it.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
The solutions I found listed for this problem (other than restore as new device) all involve having a jailbroken iPhone as you have to ssh into the root folders to fix it.
JB'ing isn't a problem, my 3gs has been JB'd without issue for months. If you can link to the solution your referring to (or detail the proceedure) I'll JB and give it a try before doing a restore.

TIA

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
HERE is one solution. Seems like the camera roll keeps its own count even if you take pics off the roll. The other link involved setting read and write permissions...looking for it now.
Edit: can't find the other link but the link I posted was by far the most listed solution to this problem. The other link was a one shot deal about read and write permissions.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Thx BrownGem. The solution you posted worked well enough for me. I copied the pics, deleted the files and then rebooted. the subsequent Photos show up in the 'blank' Photo album. I added old pics as another Photo album. Yet the last few pics in the old Photo album still don't display. I have the pics backed up, so I'm good. Still an odd bug.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I think my friend said he had this problem. I will have to ask him what he did to fix it. I wish you the best of luck man in trying to get er' fixed and I'll post back if I can get a hold of him.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Thx BrownGem. The solution you posted worked well enough for me. I copied the pics, deleted the files and then rebooted. the subsequent Photos show up in the 'blank' Photo album. I added old pics as another Photo album. Yet the last few pics in the old Photo album still don't display. I have the pics backed up, so I'm good. Still an odd bug.
Glad it worked out for you. I did read that the pics that failed to appear in the cameral roll when the problem first occurs can not be recovered but at least it fixes the problem.