Pkgbackup

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
The emailed contact approach is just as safe transportable as the Dropbox method, innit? It's worked every time for me.
I am still really new at pkgbackup, so I'm not too sure....but I've been told dropbox was a little better. John was the one that told me about it, I can't remember exactly why he said it was better though.

stevelasvegas

Mar 7, 2009
Crashes on startup

Redneck1996, I have the same problem you talk about in your post. Did you get your situation resolved?
Thanks

Chargerdan

Mar 23, 2009
Is PkgBackup only for backing up Cydia apps or does it backup iTunes ones also? I normally upgrade and set my phone as a new phone everytime before Jailbreaking. However, doing this clears all the data I had on the apps and starts them as new. It's a pain to redo everything and the main reason I don't update more often. I see that AptBackup does this but it doesn't seem to work with 4.3.2 and I like the idea or using DropBox and not having to install OpenSSH.

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
TMK, PkgBackup only saves some of the core Apple apps (photos, sms conversations, call history, etc...) It doesn't save the settings of App Store apps (game levels achieved, shopping/to do lists, etc...) That's what restoring from backup is for.

I prefer to restore as new, too, but I think saving data from previous backups defeats the purpose of the "clearing out all the old junk and starting fresh" process. :)

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
So, I updated PKGBackup (I guess for iOS 5) to 5.0.0 I'm running 4.3.1 and now it won't back up. I keep getting the attached message. There is no way to configure in settings to scan the packages. Anyone else have this problem, or any suggestions.
photo.PNG

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
So, I updated PKGBackup (I guess for iOS 5) to 5.0.0 I'm running 4.3.1 and now it won't back up. I keep getting the attached message. There is no way to configure in settings to scan the packages. Anyone else have this problem, or any suggestions.
View attachment 16479
as soon as I figure out why I can't upgrade my iTunes to 10.5, I'll take a look at PKGBackup....I haven't used it in a long time, I'm also on 4.3.1....

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I would use xBackup if I were you. I don't have a clue about how to fix that error.

Sent from my iPhone 4
I know, but I paid a pretty penny for that package and really don't want to pay more for another. But, I will unless the author knows about it and is working on a fix. I'm in no hurry, as there's no untethered JB for 5.0 using redsn0w yet.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I was getting the same error with PKGBackup. I found that you had to enable the Scan function in Phone Settings. I'm not talking about the Setting inside PKGBackup. You have to Do Settings--> Scroll Down to the Jailbreak installs and go into PKGBackup there.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
I was getting the same error with PKGBackup. I found that you had to enable the Scan function in Phone Settings. I'm not talking about the Setting inside PKGBackup. You have to Do Settings--> Scroll Down to the Jailbreak installs and go into PKGBackup there.
What do you mean by the Scan function? I don't see anything like that in phone settings. I keep getting the same error when I try and use PKGBackup 5.0.

EDIT:

I found it. It's not actually in the phone settings. You just choose Settings - Scroll down to Jailbreak installs - Choose PKGBackup, then edit the settings there.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
That's it... Sorry. I referred to it as Phone Settings, because I wanted you to go into Setting on the phone, not in PKGBACKUP. Hope you're ok now.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
That's it... Sorry. I referred to it as Phone Settings, because I wanted you to go into Setting on the phone, not in PKGBACKUP. Hope you're ok now.
My bad. When you said Phone settings I was thinking - Settings - Phone.

Everything is good now. Thanks.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I'm getting an error in pkgpackup saying that dropbox has been disabled. Can't link it to my dropbox account now. Still plenty of room in there as well. Rrgghh
Edit: I'm still on pkbackup 4.3.12 on iOS 4.3.3

tom112089

Bronze
Jul 30, 2010
How come I can't update to the new version of pkgbackup it's telling me it need to be paid for but I already paid when I bought it a while ago.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
How come I can't update to the new version of pkgbackup it's telling me it need to be paid for but I already paid when I bought it a while ago.
Odd. When I tried to use xBackup I got a "Pirate" warning. I was going to send them a copy of my PayPal receipt and can't raise any email or account information through Cydia.