i too am having issues with connecting to iTunes. i just bought mine of a friend and had to unlock it because cingular wanted me to sign another 2 yr contract (though i'm already in one) and sign up for a data plan i don't need.
1) i used ziPhone to unlock and activate it.
2) i'm on cingular so i hate a cingular sim
3) the model on about is # is MA712LL (an 8 gb)
4) my version is 1.1.4(4A102)
the model # on back is A1203
6) i am using the latest version of iTunes
7) i've tried ALL the method from previous answers in this thread(the restart the re-install, etc)
oh yeah nd mine charges via USB.
Also, Can someone please tell me how to get to the section in activation that prompts iTunes to communicate with the phone?