Post Your Last Purchase

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Geez turn into a zombie and everyone has an opinion....

It was a Zombie photo shoot I did about a month ago. This is me taking a break.
Oh... WOW.. I didn't even realize that was you, lol. I thought it was like a character from a movie or something. Very nice make up, indeed.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
not really a big warwick fan, but I can definitely get behind that ampeg!
The ampeg is nice. Still trying to work out the tone on it, but initially with everything at "12 o'clock" it's still pretty booming. I want it a little punchier though when I dig the strings.

I was on the fence with warwick. I mean they make some really nice basses, but usually out of my price range. The one I just got is a rockbass (which according to a bass forum I am on, means cheaply made in china). BUT, it has all the high-end hardware etc. The only thing that actually sucks about it is that the volume pots on the Corvette $$ (double-buck) are rated wrong. They are 25k ohms installed when they should be 500k ohms like the higher end models. I know that they are 25K on purpose, but not sure why, unless to make them sound a little worse than the $2k and up models.
The thumb bass I played when checking out the Ampeg sounded nice and thumpin', but I can't say it was a huge step away from the Rockbass. After I upgrade the volume pots, I have a feeling this thing is going to be on par with the sound of the Corvette $$ that cost $2500. Just less options for adjusting tone.

ericsinsideout

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
when in doubt, you could always swap out the pots. whats your style of choice when it comes to playing? are you a pick kind of guy or are do you prefer the slap and pop or just a finger walker?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm kind of all over the place with playing, but I think I am mostly a finger walker.
I already have the new pots to swap. Just want to get my sound dialed in on the Ampeg first, do a little recording of all the settings on the bass, and then swap and do it again for a comparative.
I believe that I will find a bit more of my highs in the "after" recording.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just booked two plane tickets and a room overlooking the San Francisco bay for April. :)