Pound For Pound: iPhone Wins...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Greetings Forum Members,
I had a wonderful conversation with an associate of mine the other day. The conversation began with the question, "Why do I carry so many phones". My answer was I like something that each one does separately. I draw off of the strengths that each phone offers. My associate asked me to further elaborate. Here is what I said.

My Sprint phone (The Instinct) is used primarily for voice calls. The clarity and signal strength cannot be beat. I also find the speaker phone to be very robust on calls and visual voicemail playback. The Instinct is certainly great at it's first purpose, being a phone. I very rarely (as in almost never) reply to a text message or email using the Instinct. The keyboard in portrait mode is not QWERTY. The keyboard is a succession of alphabetical keys that leaves me wondering what was Samsung thinking when the UI for the keyboard was designed. Users used to QWERTY find themselves completely lost on this keyboard. The Instinct does have a QWERTY keyboard in landscape mode but I'm more of a multi tasker and don't like having to use both hands to type. The browser on the Instinct is good if your in a pinch but cannot hold a candle to the iPhone's Safari browser. All in all my opinion of the Instinct is it's just a great phone ( meaning talk related capabilities). I love the thin lightweight design but the UI design is completely hideous.

The next phone The Storm (Ahh yes my hate it one day love it the next phone). The Storm in my opinion was a great idea as far as build, features and UI. The Storm continues to be problematic plagued with bugs and glitches. I wonder sometimes does the Storm have a mind of it's own. The Storm will work great for days then all hell breaks loose and back come the glitches. I like every other BlackBerry user find the email to be the Storms greatest strength. I mostly use the Storm for that purpose, it's email. How could RIM make a touch screen phone that the screen is still active while on a call? I can't tell you the number of times I have hung up on, muted, turned on the speaker phone or attempted to add a caller while on a call. Your face in contact with the screen while on a call will cause all these crazy actions to take place. In defense of the Storm there are lots of great features (that I have discussed many times here and EIC). The bugs and glitches over shadow them though. So my Storm is certainly my go to email device. The other purpose of the Storm is before the electronics age you couldn't do businesss without a businesss card. Now you can't do businesss without a BlackBerry (Image is everything).

On to the iPhone. The iPhone has many great capabilities email, web browsing, music playback, numerous useful applications and so on. The iPhone's UI is very elegant and user friendly. The browser and keyboard on the iPhone blow all others away. The iPhone is a phone I have kept and used daily for almost two years now while other devices of mine have been replaced. The iPhone at launch while not great was constantly improved via updates from Apple. The iPhone is probably the most stable phone I own. My dislike with the iPhone is the phone and speakerphone. Since launch I have felt that the volume is to low and the call quality is not that great. The speaker phone isn't even worth turning on. I very rarely use the iPhone as a phone. Still the iPhone's other strengths far out weigh it's weaknesses. My choice if I had to carry only one phone would certainly be the iPhone. I guess I could struggle with the phone problem itself given all the other great features and capabilities of the iPhone. If Apple would just do something about the call volume and speaker phone. I could then at least do away with one of my other phones. I looked at what phone spends the most time in my hand and that is the iPhone. Mark

Footnote: I did not address the BlackBerry Curve 8900 in this writing because I no longer have T-Mobile (did I mention that the T stands for terrible signal?). What a shame the 8900 was a very stable and wonderful phone. The problem (the only problem) with the 8900 was being tied to T-Moblie. Wow what a waste.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Will you have a 4th phone and update this when the "pre" is released? You crack me up! But you give a good comparison. Thanks!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Will there be an 8900 sighting once it's released on AT&T?
Chris,
Even though I'm no big fan of AT&T. The Curve 8900 will probably do well with AT&T. The only time I had a good signal with T-Mobile is when it was roaming on AT&T (not possible though when a T-Mobile tower was near by). The other great feature of the 8900 is the UMA technology (basically VOIP) that allows you to make calls over the Internet via WiFi and bypass the cellular connection. I'm wondering after looking at the chart you linked to. Why is RIM going backwards in technology? The T-Mobile version 8900 was 2g and it looks as if the AT&T version will be also. Doesn't RIM realize we are on the doorstep of 4g? Is it possible that the G1 on T-Mo and the iPhone on AT&T are sucking up all the 3g bandwith and the carriers are forcing other makers to downgrade their technology? Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
There are a number of reasons why the Curve is the #1 selling smartphone and why it will most likely retain that crown this year.

• Great form factor. Smaller than Bold.
  • Edge is cheaper for AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.
  • Curve customer is probably not so concerned with 3G vs Edge
  • Web is less than ideal on a BlackBerry, even on 3G, so EDGE isn't a dealbreaker. On the iPhone, 3G was important for Safari, etc.
  • Curve is available on all major carriers
  • Phone is less expensive, puts them in a niche by themselves (and Centro).
Technology seekers will always find the high end -- 3G and eventually 4G. Companies will find customers and the Curve finds plenty of them.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Mark,

What's the expiration date on your opinion?

Just kidding!

Seriously, though, I totally agree with you regarding the iPhone's speaker. The 3G's speaker was certainly an improvement over the v1 in terms of clarity, but would it be so difficult to build in a speaker that has louder volume? To me, it's like copy & paste - a no-brainer.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
There are a number of reasons why the Curve is the #1 selling smartphone and why it will most likely retain that crown this year.

• Great form factor. Smaller than Bold.
  • Edge is cheaper for AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.
  • Curve customer is probably not so concerned with 3G vs Edge
  • Web is less than ideal on a BlackBerry, even on 3G, so EDGE isn't a dealbreaker. On the iPhone, 3G was important for Safari, etc.
  • Curve is available on all major carriers
  • Phone is less expensive, puts them in a niche by themselves (and Centro).
Technology seekers will always find the high end -- 3G and eventually 4G. Companies will find customers and the Curve finds plenty of them.
Great points especially the last 3

Mercury1975

Mar 21, 2008
totally agree! while the 3G speaker is FAR better i still think there is room for improvement and it's possible the next iPhone will have just that!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Amplification costs power. Apple is veeeery stingy with their power resources.

Thanks for the rundown, Mark. Considering becoming an official EIC writer? ;)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com

Thanks for the rundown, Mark. Considering becoming an official EIC writer? ;)
I am an EIC writer. I just do it Pro Bono because I love to write and the subjects we talk about here. :laugh2:

@ Mr. Phoneapart,
Yes I do change my thinking often. I'll do a photo shoot hate the photo's today but absolutely love them next week. I guess it's my constant changes in thinking that helps me embrace new ideas, situations and things. :cool: Mark

Mercury1975

Mar 21, 2008
i would agree with that! hopefully they will get on the ball, if they haven't already, and throw something new and exciting up on the table for the next release! (hey, i can dream)!
:laugh2:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
i would agree with that! hopefully they will get on the ball, if they haven't already, and throw something new and exciting up on the table for the next release! (hey, i can dream)!
:laugh2:
If Apple puts an iSight forward facing camera (like has been rumored) for video chat on the new iPhone (can't see it happening huge battery drain). Would that satisfy your new and exciting wish? Mark

Mercury1975

Mar 21, 2008
If Apple puts an iSight forward facing camera (like has been rumored) for video chat on the new iPhone (can't see it happening huge battery drain). Would that satisfy your new and exciting wish? Mark

that would excite me so much i'd probably piss all over myself! although, i'm with you, it would never happen because of the battery drain, although, i've noticed that with 3.0b5 my battery life seems to last a bit longer, not like DAYS longer, but definitely longer than it used to!

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Nice review. I have to agree that the iPhone speakers and just voice quality sucks pretty bad. After we close at work, people always play music on their phones. I have over 1500 songs and cant hear any of them from my pocket while some flip phone with 64MB and like 5 songs is blasting through my coworker's pocket...
I can't tell you how many times I've heard those 5 songs.

F

farazpcc

Nice review. The voice problem is there but the if you look overall the feature of iPhone, its really not compete able with any other phone.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I am an EIC writer. I just do it Pro Bono because I love to write and the subjects we talk about here. :laugh2:

@ Mr. Phoneapart,
Yes I do change my thinking often. I'll do a photo shoot hate the photo's today but absolutely love them next week. I guess it's my constant changes in thinking that helps me embrace new ideas, situations and things. :cool: Mark

Mark... you sir are a liberal. Like something one min then hate it the next. Im like this as well, but then again not many artists are 100% happy with what they paint myself included.