QIK Live Video Streaming for 3G

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but if not, here is the next best thing for video until our Official Video recorder that the older versions have gets here.

This is a beta release (case in point: mute is not yet functional) -- you can expect regular updates of this application over the coming days and weeks. You can get Qikking with the iPhone 3G (and earlier models running iPhone OS 2.0!) by doing the following:

• If you have not already, you'll need to sign up at http://qik.com/sign_up
  • and receive an SMS from us to activate the application.
  • Launch Cydia.
  • Go to the "Sections" tab at the bottom and scroll down to "Multimedia."
  • Under Multimedia, you will find Qik. Tap on it then select "Install" at the top right, then in the same spot tap "Confirm."
  • Now you will see Qik get installed. You may hit the "Return to Cydia" button at the bottom or just quit Cydia when it is done installing.
  • You'll now notice a "Qik" icon on your home screen - Go ahead and launch it.
  • As long as your initial signup SMS/text message is still in your inbox for the first launch, your account will be linked to your device.
  • Make sure you have 3G service or are on WiFi (edge is not sufficient enough to stream video) before you begin broadcasting.
  • Hit record and enjoy Qik!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Excellent to see this on 2.0, but must we give them our phone number? I hate giving phone numbers to websites.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Note that Flixwagon is now available for 2.0 as well. It's another video streaming app, and Dave says it's better than Qik.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ooooh they made the leap.... awesome! I'm glad it happened quickly because these apps are seriously fun.

Yeah, I only checked out Qik for a short bit, but I didn't really care for its interface, features, or quality nearly as much as Flixwagon. I'll give it another go after it's out of beta (although technically, Flixwagon is still in beta... it just works a lot better).

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I just tried flixwagon & it's choppy as heck. The sound is all messed up. Are any of you guys getting better video & sound quality? I chose the smoother video setting but it's still choppy.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Ooooh they made the leap.... awesome! I'm glad it happened quickly because these apps are seriously fun.

Yeah, I only checked out Qik for a short bit, but I didn't really care for its interface, features, or quality nearly as much as Flixwagon. I'll give it another go after it's out of beta (although technically, Flixwagon is still in beta... it just works a lot better).
By the way, Dave, I know you've been holding off on upgrading for TuneWiki as well. That showed up yesterday in Installer.

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
This is a first step for 3g video for iPhone but the quality SUCKS bigtime.
Went to a bowling event with my job and took this video and you can judge for yourself:

http://qik.com/video/169008

Sound quality is great but video needs some work

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Quality is pretty bad with Flixwagon too. To anybody that has used both, which, in your opinion, is better?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
This is a first step for 3g video for iPhone but the quality SUCKS bigtime.
Went to a bowling event with my job and took this video and you can judge for yourself:

http://qik.com/video/169008

Sound quality is great but video needs some work
The sound quality on both apps really suck balls on my phone. I tried making audio quality adjustments on both apps to improve the mic gain but I can barely hear anything on my vids. The audio on your video is very good. I listened to some other vids & yours is so much better than other vids. I hope it's not hardware. I'm also thinking this may be caused by the apps since they are both in beta. I did test my mic on an app from the app store(voicenotes) & the audio seem to be crisp & clear even with the phone held away from my mouth so I'll just blame the audio problems on the apps.