Questioning the closure of the iCafe thread

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Good Day Kabeyun

Far be it from me to question those in authority, but I am puzzled as to why Psylichon's post was closed.

I feel that in the aforementioned post that we were all behaving as adults. There were no vulgarities or derogatory remarks made and, given the participants in the thread (including myself and a certain other "folk hero" whom I DO respect, and with whom I find literary fencing quite challenging) I humbly and with respect, question the decision to close the post.

Was there a reason that the post was closed that I missed somehow?
I am in NO WAY challenging your given authority, but I am understandably curious.

Although I was the brunt of some misdirected humor, I never mind being the punchline of a respectable joke.

Being a fan of the scientific method, I am curious.

Respectfully yours

Dana

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I don't mean to be intrusive, but just to add my two cents:
I don't believe the thread was closed for any particular remark inside - but rather the nature of the thread. It was designed to bash a member of the site, and generally moderators (or good ones, at that) don't let those kind of threads float around untouched.

I think it's best closed. While there was some good conversation about sports etc., it can definitely find a home somewhere else.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
just another example of defending the offender and disregarding the victims. While icafe can skip around the site pissing everybody off, LORD FORBID someone try to even the playing field and cram a little of his own medicine back down his throat!

What pathetic logic and muddled thinking. This is exactly what is wrong with the world today.

You will not school-yard-bully me!

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
********: I thought I explained it in the thread. These forums are for constructive discussion, problem solving, and fun. They are not for bashing other members, however much we may disagree with them. A thread dedicated to such bashing, however proper the langauge, is not what EIC.com is here for. If a member becomes a discipline problem, report it to Chris, myself, or the mods, and we'll deal with it. I have no problem at all with your question, but in the future, you're welcome to PM me questions like it.

OJ: Chris and I agree on this issue. I don't necessarily expect you to understand it. I don't believe it is "pathetic" or "muddled." You can be helpful and entertaining here, so your propensity for confrontation is tolerated. In my opinion, what is actually wrong with the world today is that people are too enthusiastic about revenge. EIC.com won't condone using forums to trade insults just to "level the playing field."

-K

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Dana, I think most of us agree with Kabeyun closing the thread. Just as the depthnerd bashing thread was, that one was pretty useless as well (no offense meant Dave). Kabeyun (and Chris too) has always been pretty reasonable and given quite a bit of leeway to some of us that occasionally like to stir the pot a bit. The fact that iCafe has not been banned shows that he is treated with the same respect as OJ and the others. He has just rubbed some people a different way than the "folk hero" has (myself not included, I take no issue with him). Anyhow, the thread just gave iCafe the attention that most of his posts strive to attract. If someone has a problem, the way to most effectively deal with it is to ignore them and contact a mod. I can appreciate your opinion on the matter and your opinion on iCafe but I agree with Kabeyun that the point of the thread was basically to bash him and it had pretty much run off course anyhow.

OJ: you are on a roll lately.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
********: I thought I explained it in the thread. These forums are for constructive discussion, problem solving, and fun. They are not for bashing other members, however much we may disagree with them. A thread dedicated to such bashing, however proper the langauge, is not what EIC.com is here for. If a member becomes a discipline problem, report it to Chris, myself, or the mods, and we'll deal with it. I have no problem at all with your question, but in the future, you're welcome to PM me questions like it.

OJ: Chris and I agree on this issue. I don't necessarily expect you to understand it. I don't believe it is "pathetic" or "muddled." You can be helpful and entertaining here, so your propensity for confrontation is tolerated. In my opinion, what is actually wrong with the world today is that people are too enthusiastic about revenge. EIC.com won't condone using forums to trade insults just to "level the playing field."

-K

Wow. Thanks for allowing ME a little liberty here. Your response is greatly appreciated. Thank you and Chris for this. I appreciate all you guys (and gals) do around here. Thank you again for this freedom.

The rest of you Commies better look out!

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Wow. Thanks for allowing ME a little liberty here. Your response is greatly appreciated. Thank you and Chris for this. I appreciate all you guys (and gals) do around here. Thank you again for this freedom.

The rest of you Commies better look out!

I laughed so hard I nearly choked!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I am in complete agreement with Kabe on the closure of the thread. In fact, I'm a little embarrassed I started it to begin with, and wouldn't mind its complete deletion at this point. It was late, I was drunk, she was hot... wait, what are we talking about again?

As Kabe stated, there is no room for member-to-member attacks on a forum like this. Even though I meant it more as a tongue-in-cheek thread, I can certainly see the unnecessary nature of it. My bad.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Even though I meant it more as a tongue-in-cheek thread, I can certainly see the unnecessary nature of it. My bad.
THAT was what I couldn't put my hand on!
It was NOT intended as a bash thread.
That is why I asked why it was closed.
It all seemed to be in pretty good taste.

Dave, thank you for finding the correct words to describe my inquiry.

Dana