Radio Shack STILL Taking Orders and Promising iPhones on the 24th? Is this a joke?

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
A young lady at my job just told me that she went to a Radio Shack in her neighborhood this morning, and they were STILL taking names and promising to deliver iPhones on the 24th. I told her not to get her hopes up too high, because of Apple and AT&T are out (or the 24th delivery date phones), more than likely everyone else is out also..

She's optimistic, but I wanted to know how Radio Shack could be bilking it's customers in such a manner.. They're gonna have to tell people that they don't have any, and that's going to turn into a nightmare situation for them..

She said they took her name, and put her on a list. This leads me to believe that this is how they handled ALL their pre-orders (or should we refer to them as reservations at this point?)

Sludge

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
North Fort Worth
The shack close to my house told me the morning of pre order that radio shack was not going to be putting in their pre orders until noon cst yesterday. I was the first one in the store yesterday and the first one on the list. I got a call from them yesterday afternoon telling me that I would not be getting one from them. I asked the guy who called if their store was going to get any phones at all on iday and his response was no...

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Disaster.. Radio Shack might need riot police if they can't deliver, when ppl have put their faith in them to get them iPhones..
I can tell right now that radio shack did some sort of pre-order but no longer doing so. I am a assistance manager at a radio shack in let me know if u have any question!

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
If RS was allocated a certain number of phones, on a per store basis or whatever, then it would seem they would be ok, and in fact might still be taking orders at certain locations if they somehow hadn't sold out of their allocation. But if they were just part of the general preorder process and weren't getting into the que until mid day yesterday then bets are off.

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I can tell right now that radio shack did some sort of pre-order but no longer doing so. I am a assistance manager at a radio shack in let me know if u have any question!
Great... She went to the Radio Shack in Lithonia... off Panola Road, in the shopping center with the WalMart.. She said they took her name and number, and essentially promised her an iPhone...

no credit card confirmation process or anything... just get on this list, and a promise...

it sounded too good to be true, to me..

what was the original process? Were they at least requiring a deposit, which is in essense a contract for services, or a commitment? I know Best Buy was requiring $50, which they returned in the form of a Gift Card, but locked you in for a phone...

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The 50 gift card was the process from the very beginning but on the 14th the day before the pre order readio shack came and said they won't do that anymore due to Apple can not guaranty the phone to be given to us. On the day of radio shack as a company will have 500 units that we can sell and you will get them a few days after u order them.

iPercy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2010

so can you tell me if RS is going to receive any on iday or is it just certain RS that will receive. also whats the deal on trading in your 3gs towards the purchase of a iPhone 4

latinpride613

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
A young lady at my job just told me that she went to a Radio Shack in her neighborhood this morning, and they were STILL taking names and promising to deliver iPhones on the 24th. I told her not to get her hopes up too high, because of Apple and AT&T are out (or the 24th delivery date phones), more than likely everyone else is out also..

She's optimistic, but I wanted to know how Radio Shack could be bilking it's customers in such a manner.. They're gonna have to tell people that they don't have any, and that's going to turn into a nightmare situation for them..

She said they took her name, and put her on a list. This leads me to believe that this is how they handled ALL their pre-orders (or should we refer to them as reservations at this point?)
I called the radio shack here in Boston to ask about this. What the store manager told me was that when the pre-orders where finished that they were taking names on a list (The pre-order process was that RS [Boston] looked you up in the ATT system and gave you a receipt with a pin. When the launch occurs you come back with the receipt and pin and grab you iPhone 4). The names on the current list arent promised anything except for a phone call as to when the iPhone 4 will be available to just walk in and purchase. I am making an assumption here when I say that when the lady walked into RS the RS employee put her on this list so that it would be a chance for the employee to gain some kind of comission when more came in after launch. Another assumption is that the RS employee was not well informed of the process. I would tell that lady to call back the store and explain to her the process on launch day.

Hope this helps a bit.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I went to Radio Shack yesterday and was the only one to preorder it all day. I got a receipt with a pin #. Does that mean that I will get a phone? What does the pin number do and how do I check to see the shipping status? Thanks

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I went to Radio Shack yesterday and was the only one to preorder it all day. I got a receipt with a pin #. Does that mean that I will get a phone? What does the pin number do and how do I check to see the shipping status? Also, I never got a $20 gift card or accessory credit. Thanks