Read this about pre-ordering...

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
heh heh, I want to be there when at normal businesss hours they tell all the people in the non-preorder line to get in line behind the preorderers. Probably really won't be that many people considering you can order online and it's not really quite the phenomenon of the V1 or 3G.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm out of thanks for the day, but this thread was my impetus for going out and preordering at my nearby AT&T store this evening. Just caught them at closing, too. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, and welcome back, Powers!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you preordered with Apple, you're either accepting delivery from them or picking up at an Apple store. You'd have to cancel that order and place an order with AT&T. I went to a store, but you may be able to set up in-store pickup online. I'm not sure.

On the receipt, it says my credit card will be charged and I'll receive an email when the phone arrives in-store.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
If you preordered with Apple, you're either accepting delivery from them or picking up at an Apple store. You'd have to cancel that order and place an order with AT&T. I went to a store, but you may be able to set up in-store pickup online. I'm not sure.

On the receipt, it says my credit card will be charged and I'll receive an email when the phone arrives in-store.
i did the reserve in store pickup for Apple. so i shouldn't have to cancel anything right?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I did the pre-order at a local AT&T store. I think I was the first to do it based on my order number, not that it matters for pickup. I plan on getting to the store around 6am, just in case, so I can pickup my 3G S at 7am on my way into work.

Joe

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I plan to pre-order from an AT&T store so I can pick it up on Saturday and not have to worry about not getting one.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Good info but passing. I don't want to be around that many people when I can just my normal work routine and when I get home it will sitting there at my door. Then I have all weekend to mess with it and have it set up the way I need to!

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Like psylichon said I preordered mine and it says the same thing. To me in sounds as if There will be boxes of iPhones arriving the are free to sell and boxes of iPhones that will have names on them or billing labels attached so we can pick them up. I remember reading somewhere that we have 7 days to pick up our iPhones once they arrive in store, so I will be showing up about noon on Friday.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
I went to a store, but you may be able to set up in-store pickup online. I'm not sure.
I tried last night and they will only ship it... and I *think* it was only the billing address too! Or I might have misread something.

But it's amazing how confused EVERYONE is... so on my lunch break I went to a local AT&T store (across the street from MACYS), and the girl told me that I can order to have it picked up but there is no guarantee it will be there on that day. She pretty much said the store is going to get some in for Friday but for whoever pre-orders one for in-store, they are making a "special order" and are essentially ordering an extra one for those people that will be shipped separately. I asked why they simply can't set aside the quantity that are pre-ordered and she said because of the special shipment crap.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From my understanding, preorders are being "tagged" somehow with an actual device for pickup, but somehow that doesn't constitute a reservation, and if you're not there to pick it up the 19th and they run out of stock, someone else will get your phone.

There will be two lines at AT&T stores... preorder and general public. The preorder line will filter in starting at 7:00 and will go until normal store opening hours (10:00 around here). At that point, the general public queue will be added to the back of the preorder line. So preordering is definitely a good idea.

What I'm wondering is if Apple is using the preorder data at all to determine how many devices to send to each store. It would be smart as hell if they did that.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
I saw the video yesterday and went to the store to see if they actually had any clue to what was really going on. And the girl who helped me told me that there is no guarantee the phone will be there. Naturally, if I ordered it on the 18th I can see the problem.
But if the store gets 100 phones and 50 people pre-order them, why can't they simply make 50 available to the general public? Opposed to ordering 50 on the side for the people that did pre-order just to tell them they haven't arrived...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think they just have to cover their butts "just in case". I don't think anyone anywhere is going to get a set-in-stone guarantee from Apple or AT&T regarding delivery or pickup. I'm just hoping the whole point of this preorder process is to minimize device shortages in stores on the 19th. Last time, they just sent too many phones to the wrong stores and it bit them in the ass.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Hmm. I ordered mine online with the 35% off link thing in the other post. There was no option for in-store pickup, so I had it shipped to a shipping address I provided. Do you think if I call AT&T they can rework the order to be sent to my local store instead?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I don't know, but I am going to order with that 35% off also and really wanted to get it delivered to the store... :(