Recycling Bin?

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
I think this feature would be rather helpful on the iPhone. I always hastily delete pictures and emails and text conversations and then realize I want them back. Sure there's that confirmation that asks "Do you really want to delete this?" or whatever that is. But it's now become a habit to just hit 'yes' to that! I'd assume others have this problem too. But it would really be a fantastic idea.

Users would be able to change some things about it under Settings. Such as having it show up at all, or if only certain things could go there. Maybe it would also auto-empty just so you didn't always have to remember to do it.

Anybody else agree?

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
Yeah I somewhat agree. That's what a spotlight search is for.
No no, I meant just in case you delete something and you didn't really want it gone for good, not just yet. Same purpose it serves on a PC or Mac.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I generally disagree with a recycling bin concept for a phone, since space is so limited. I would be in favor of having the option to delete immediately (which I prefer) or hold it in a bin, and perhaps even set a time to auto delete after throwing in the bin. Again, taking one's time and being really sure before deleting something should be good enough.

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
I generally disagree with a recycling bin concept for a phone, since space is so limited. I would be in favor of having the option to delete immediately (which I prefer) or hold it in a bin, and perhaps even set a time to auto delete after throwing in the bin. Again, taking one's time and being really sure before deleting something should be good enough.
Well I think the feature should be optional for those reasons exactly. Some people really do want that extra space that is available. But I think auto-deleting after a certain amount of time would be ideal.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
A recycle bin on the iPhone, or any phone for that matter, is superfluous. The email accounts you have on the phone merely mirrors what you can also access from another computer. So even if you delete mail on the phone, it is not deleted permanently on the server and will always be available server-side, if it's an IMAP account, or on your computer's email client, if it's a POP account. Also, for POP accounts on the iPhone, the default setting for deleted mails is "Never".

EDIT: Never mind.... I thought we were discussing e-mail in particular. Should have read more carefuly! :)

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
A recycle bin on the iPhone, or any phone for that matter, is superfluous. The email accounts you have on the phone merely mirrors what you can also access from another computer. So even if you delete mail on the phone, it is not deleted permanently on the server and will always be available server-side, if it's an IMAP account, or on your computer's email client, if it's a POP account. Also, for POP accounts on the iPhone, the default setting for deleted mails is "Never".
I somewhat agree for e-mail, but I completely disagree for everything else. You're addressing e-mail, but the OP referred to more than just e-mail...such as pictures, texts, whatever. Also, the mirror of mail on the server only applies to IMAP. Sometimes, with POP, if downloaded from a server, deleting an e-mail from the phone means it's gone if it's removed from the server (if set up that way). And if you're running Mail.app, say, at home, and the message is deleted, your IMAP or POP settings can drive how long it sits in the deleted bin. Could be gone immediately or soon after.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I got in my edit before your rejoinder ;-) However, I would not like to side track the OP by continuing the email discussion.

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
I actually wanted to thank you for bringing that up. I totally forgot about the
"Deleted Mail" section on the email app. So, besides that, I think there should just be a universal recycling bin! There we go. lol =]

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I think having a recycle bin is a brilliant idea. I fully understand that people have issues with space/memory (I don't because I got the 32GB ;) ), but It would a good idea to just have one more chance to bring back some data you've accidentally deleted.

Example, I took a load of pictures the other day, wanted to email them, so I checked the one's I wanted to send and instead of hitting share, I hit delete. Totally oblivious to what I'd done (my phone even prompted me to confirm the delete) I deleted them all! I was like 'SH*T'
So yes, I think having a recycle bin would in fact be a good idea ;)

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
A recycle bin is a great idea, this phone is essentialy a computer so why not.
I'm still waiting though for a "select all" button in mail, so with 2 clicks I can delete 100,s of junk email.