Redsnow Causes Severe Battery Drain

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I have an 1st generation iPhone that I have upgraded to 3.0 on and it works well. I decided to unlock the phone using redsnow and that went ok without any problems as well, or so I thought. At 2AM yesterday after doing the unlock, I went to bed. Woke up 6 hours later and the phone was completely dead. Plugged it in and recharged. Usage was equal to standby.

I thought the problem may be due to boss prefs so I restored using the custom Redsnow retsore file. This time I didn't install any apps. Same problem, battery was half way gone in two hours. Usage was also equal to standby.

Not sure what the problem is but I had to restore the phone using the real restore file in iTunes and now my battery life is normal again.

I don't want to do this on my 3G phone till I know there won't be a problem.

Any ideas on this? Thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I unlocked my 3G with Pwnage Tool and ultrasn0w and have crazy battery drain on T-Mobile. I also have a 3GS with AT&T, so unlocking the 3G was just a test to see how well it works. Basically, I have to leave it in Airplane mode and just take it out to make calls unless I want the battery to drain to nothing in less than a day in standby mode. I've tested it with WiFi, location services, etc off and isolated that the battery drain problem is the unlock itself. I'm getting five bars on T-Mobile, so I don't think the problem is that it's constantly searching for a signal.

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Thanks. At least we both know now that it's a problem with the unlock software and not our phones.

I did a search on Google and there are allot of other people commenting on the battery problem also.

ajf81280

Jul 3, 2009
Use quikpawn to unlock 1st gen iPhone and have 3.0 software. I did this and have not had a battery issue.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's not a problem with the Jailbreak itself. Many of the apps hadn't yet been ported to 3.0 at that point, more are added to list of compatible 3.0 apps every day, but some are still not ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I unlocked my 3G with Pwnage Tool and ultrasn0w and have crazy battery drain on T-Mobile. I also have a 3GS with AT&T, so unlocking the 3G was just a test to see how well it works. Basically, I have to leave it in Airplane mode and just take it out to make calls unless I want the battery to drain to nothing in less than a day in standby mode. I've tested it with WiFi, location services, etc off and isolated that the battery drain problem is the unlock itself. I'm getting five bars on T-Mobile, so I don't think the problem is that it's constantly searching for a signal.
The battery life problem on my unlocked 3GS seems to be resolved. The battery life is really good now and I don't have to leave it in airplane mode anymore. I didn't restore the phone, so I'm thinking a Cydia update fixed it.

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
I jailbroke my 3G with redsn0w and the battery drain is awful, it is starting to make me want to unjailbreak. I can go a day just without having to recharge IF i don't touch my phone, during the night if its a 100% before I go to bed, itll be 75% when I wake up, 25% in idol mode for 8 hours is awful!

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
How did you do yours? any tips? how long do you think your battery lasts? mine is really really bad!