Restoring from jailbroken backup

sMACkaddict

Bronze
Jun 26, 2010
boston, ma
Ok so I got my iPhone 4 on launch day after what seemed like an eternity waiting in line. It's awesome, I'm writing this post on it. My issue is in relation to when I restored my new iPhone with a backup from my previous iPhone which was 3G. The problem is that the 3G I had was jailbroken.
I decided I wasn't going to jailbreak my new iPhone 4 just yet so I just did a regular sync with the my most recent backup. When it was done I noticed that some of the changes I had made to my 3G when it was jailbroken were on my iPhone 4. For example, where it says "AT&T" in the upper left, I changed it and after the sync it was changed on my iPhone 4. Also, tethering is available and I did not sign up for the retarded tethering plan with AT&T and that was something I had unblocked on my 3G. I'm confused because cydia is not on my phone and it doesn't really seem jailbroken in any other way. Does anyone know what is going on? Is my phone jailbroken or not and if not, is it possible I have done something bad?
I figure that the things that are changed are based in code that was patched or something and because of that it carried over in the backup. I am looking for someone to confirm or deny my suspicions and maybe even give me some insight into what is going on.
Thanks for any help you can give and let me know if you need clarifying on anything I've said.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Ok so I got my iPhone 4 on launch day after what seemed like an eternity waiting in line. It's awesome, I'm writing this post on it. My issue is in relation to when I restored my new iPhone with a backup from my previous iPhone which was 3G. The problem is that the 3G I had was jailbroken.
I decided I wasn't going to jailbreak my new iPhone 4 just yet so I just did a regular sync with the my most recent backup. When it was done I noticed that some of the changes I had made to my 3G when it was jailbroken were on my iPhone 4. For example, where it says "AT&T" in the upper left, I changed it and after the sync it was changed on my iPhone 4. Also, tethering is available and I did not sign up for the retarded tethering plan with AT&T and that was something I had unblocked on my 3G. I'm confused because cydia is not on my phone and it doesn't really seem jailbroken in any other way. Does anyone know what is going on? Is my phone jailbroken or not and if not, is it possible I have done something bad?
I figure that the things that are changed are based in code that was patched or something and because of that it carried over in the backup. I am looking for someone to confirm or deny my suspicions and maybe even give me some insight into what is going on.
Thanks for any help you can give and let me know if you need clarifying on anything I've said.
Jailbreak remnants do often times transfer to new phones when you perform a backup. Mine did the exact same thing. Unfortunately, although I had the tethering option available, my computer still could not connect. I tried the help.benm.at profile, as well as the peacefulinsanity profile, and neither worked.

Your phone is not jailbroken. It's not bad.

sMACkaddict

Bronze
Jun 26, 2010
boston, ma
Awesome, thanks for that. I needed the assurance. I'll try out the tethering to see if it works.

By the way, I see there is an official way to thank people, how do you do it?

saige1r

Bronze
Mar 12, 2010
I believe all iPhone 4's have the ability to tether now. You just have to pay the extra monthly fee. I came across the data plan when I was looking through att's app.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I believe all iPhone 4's have the ability to tether now. You just have to pay the extra monthly fee. I came across the data plan when I was looking through att's app.
Yes, we know that. We are talking about a tethering hack though. This allows for tethering without a tethering plan. Not to mention, it allows for tethering on an unlimited plan.

I just found out today that you can't even keep your Unlimited plan if you want tethering. Is that not just utter bulls***?

sMACkaddict

Bronze
Jun 26, 2010
boston, ma
Yes, we know that. We are talking about a tethering hack though. This allows for tethering without a tethering plan. Not to mention, it allows for tethering on an unlimited plan.

I just found out today that you can't even keep your Unlimited plan if you want tethering. Is that not just utter bulls***?
yes man, im really pissed about this whole plan thing, i could understand if they supplemented their existing plans with the new ones, but come on, no unlimited plan... weak sauce...

doesn't the tethering plan haev a 5gb cap too, and its another 15 a month or somtheing, its freakign highway robbery..