Rotator Cuff

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Better yet, YouTube it... Like the surgeons would allow that. Lol
they don't let you? if so they better change the rules, teenagers won't get surgery these days unless they can still text while under the knife. God forbid they stop for an hour.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hello my new iPhone friends....

I have to have surgery a few days after Christmas for a torn rotator cuff.

I'm sorry to hear that! But, you'll see, this will be behind you soon.

I hope that you scheduled the surgery where you work (I'm assuming you're a nurse). You'll get much better treatment if they know you. I know from personal experience.

In any case, don't let the horror stories you've heard get to you. Different people have different results, as you're well aware no doubt. If you're in some pain after the procedure, don't be embarrassed to speak up and ask for your pain killers!

I hope all goes well and we'll keep our eyes open to see what you say when you get back! :)

Reactions: iNurse

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I had 2 different surgeries on my left shoulder between 2008 and 2009.
The first one repaired several torn tendons as well as re-anchoring my bicep tendon that wraps around the inside of the shoulder. It was done arthroscopic, and was a success, but didn't solve the problem.
My second surgery was the remainder of the damage. I had to have a complete rebuild of the ligament tissue that surrounds the ball joint. That required a 4+" incision and a lot of work. Picture the ligature as looking like a clam shell around the ball. Mine was spread wide open. The only thing keeping my should in the socket was the musculature. The 2nd doctor said he was surprised it hadn't dislocated yet when I saw him for the first time.

Between the 2, the first one seemed to be more painful right after the nerve block wore off. The second was more sore longer though. I was on hydro-codone for weeks longer after the second one.

The MOST IMPORTANT (and I capitalized it to stress it) is to do your exercises during recovery. Pain heals, scars fade, but not being able to use your shoulder can become a permanent thing if you don't follow instructions.
Take it from someone that will never have 100% use of their shoulder. Not because I didn't do my exercises, but because my shoulder is that jacked up. I have 90-95% mobility. 80% without any pain. 70% of my original strength.
Mine is the exception to normal shoulder surgery. Most people recover and are 100%. I tore so much up that it's never going to be right.

iNurse

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2011
The Volunteer State of Tennessee
surgery completed yesterday... three screws .... successful.... was pretty sick yesterday from anesthesia but today that is gone... just managing pain and getting use to left hand usage! glad its over and already starting the exercises

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
surgery completed yesterday... three screws .... successful.... was pretty sick yesterday from anesthesia but today that is gone... just managing pain and getting use to left hand usage! glad its over and already starting the exercises
Glad surgery went well :D

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
iNurse, did they use metal or plastic? They used a plastic one for anchoring my bicep tendon, and it dissolved away and the anchor remains stable. Metal screws are a bit more of a pain in the ass only because they either have to take them out, or you keep them and they set off metal detectors. (which could be fun if you like messing with TSA agents)