Rotator Cuff

iNurse

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2011
The Volunteer State of Tennessee
my husband doesn't know that he said or doesn't remember. i will find out next week when i go for a follow up. Said it took three and my bones were super hard. (so i guess that is a good thing that i have strong bones)

already started the exercises they suggest .. real PT doesn't start for six weeks I think. Have a lot of home ones to do.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, here is something that they might not have told you: Don't strain too much. The initial exercises are to help maintain/restart mobility, but shouldn't cause too much discomfort -especially for long periods of time. If it does, call your doctor.

iNurse

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2011
thanks hawk -- my squeezing ball is good. my lifting arm from elbow up and down are good. it is just the one when i have it in front of me and go out a little that i can't do and my arm feels glued to my arm pit. guess that will come with time. It has been very sore today ... been icing off and on. (But we are only in day 1 post op)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
They had me icing every 4 hours or so. So ice for 20-30 minutes, then do it again 4 hours later (if memory serves) and so on.
Try to also remember that there are a TON of ligaments and tendons that highly impact the shoulder all the way down to your wrist. so while you might think just moving your hand with no weight is not going to cause any problems, you can actually strain yourself by over-doing it. You end up using your hand more than normal when avoiding not using the rest of the arm and trying to keep the shoulder in a "relaxed state" and it becomes the strain you didn't even know you caused.
Using the arm in a very light capacity is good. you do need to build and maintain the muscle. But just remember that you are going to be in a position where you think you're being careful, but you are actually working everything harder, and in a new way that even your healthy muscles are not used to. This is where some of that strain comes from.
Did they tell you to do the "hang" leaning over a table or desk? That was my saving grace when I went back to work after my second one ( I was back at work after 2 weeks because work comp wouldn't cover the mortgage). Slowly lowered my arm down between my knees and relax it. NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS. (it hurts like no one's businesss if you jerk because the muscles contract really fast from relaxed and well... you know, you just had someone digging in there) But let it hang for a few minutes and then put it back in your sling. you might end up doing this every 10 minutes if things are bad, but it helps, and you can also do one of your exercises of pendulum swings which also help.

iNurse

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2011
thanks hawk, no they haven't told me about the hanging one yet. go bad to doc next week for follow up. Think it is friday. wish it was sooner, have so many questions, but thankful you have helped a lot! right now just doing four exercises. Feel a little puny today. But overall doing good.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
great to hear it. My Sister showed me that her shoulder is "freezing" on her after 2 traumatic tears to her right shoulder. She's in PT now, but I think she might have to have surgery. She will know more in a month or 2. Then I will be helping her too

iNurse

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2011
i so don't want a frozen shoulder. how do i keep from that? I am calling them tuesday to see if they can see me before Friday. Probably won't matter the few days! Yesterday was a blood pressure and head ache today. Today seems to be better...... Exercise exercise~~ Thanks so much for your assistance Hawk and to the eiC for the forums so we can share! :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
A frozen shoulder only happens if either from surgery or injury if you don't get the shoulder mobile again. it heals very tight and gets painful with simple small movements to the point where you cannot use it. All the soft tissues tighten up and limit motion. Stretching the right way (see doctor's instructions) is the way to avoid this.
I haven't met anyone like this yet, so don't worry about it too much. My sister's getting PT now, so even though her range is poo- poo, she can still use around 6-75% of it.

iNurse

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2011
First appointment since surgery... they are calcium screws....made up of the same thing our bones are.... crazy.... at least I won't set off mri, airport screening, etc! :)

looks like brace three more weeks... still the simple small exercises he gave me..... in three weeks we will set up range of motion (passive) physical therapy and then a little after that - we set up weights -- said 4-6 months.... UGH !

But its gonna be ok! Think I will be heading back to work in another week. One more week to rest then see how it goes.....

Thank you all for thoughts and prayers..... and ENCOURAGEMENT!