Samsung Instinct=Fail. . .

projectdarkside

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
If there was never an iPhone, there wouldn't be this phone.;)
SO TRUE MAN:p
-But once again competition fails to notice the smaller qualities that make the iPhone experience better. . .

. . .Such as, did you see how the touchscreen response was? He couldnt just tap the screen like in the other preview/reviews he done. .he had to PUSH the screen haha! Another feature they kinda neglected was not remember that one of iPhone's strongest well-known features is its Safari browser. . .and they didn't do to bad but they had to, they couldnt even qualify into a competetion to face the iPhone

I knew all along that the instinct would be the "iPhone Killer", but like you said their must be competition ;)

projectdarkside

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I think this would be my next choice for a phone, but only if i couldnt have the iPhone. I only say this, because this is the closet thing to the iPhone that i have seen. The physical body of it is appealing enough to me, the software isn't amazing like Mac OS X iPhone, but its a lot better than most cell phones I have seen. Its funny though because it has quite a few of the same faults as the iPhone (and then some) like the lack of a good camera quality, and camera features other than video. I would never choose this thing over the iPhone though.
The iPhone still has one more upcoming to win...
-And thats the Blackberry Thunder, if it can beat the Black Thunder the iPhone will dominate this market;)

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
my friend just got the instinct and it was actually better than I thought. I used it for about 5 mins and it responded to every touch input. Though I did dislike the vibration.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah I used a client's for a couple minutes the other day and it wasn't the most horrible thing I've ever used in my life. Till I fired up the browser (don't bother). The screen felt like solid glass and was fairly responsive. The main drag is the lag in response time (common for these iPhone knockoffs), and I agree the haptic feedback is annoying and doesn't time well at all with touch activity.

Overall I didn't mind the look and feel of the menus, though of course they're no iPhone. But no ability to sync data + no application support = not a smartphone... it's a featurephone. Not the worst out there, but why are these things even considered competition for the iPhone? It's an entirely different classification of device.

Try explaining that to owners of said device... I didn't bother, as he was bragging to his friend, side-by-side with my iPhone, that his was exactly the same. How can you argue with that?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i got a chance to use a coworker's today and I agree with Dave, it's not a horrible phone, actually pretty decent. It just isn't even in the same league as the iPhone still. Browser is just okay, and even though it is EVDO, it seems to load slower than Safari on EDGE, probably due to the lower processing power.

The interface is okay, but still no comparison.

Good phone though, especially for sprint.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
i hate real touch screens
you have to push really hard and they die quickly (i have to use one at work)

the iPhone is awesome because you don't have to push hard and its a different technology

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
my friend just got the instinct and it was actually better than I thought. I used it for about 5 mins and it responded to every touch input. Though I did dislike the vibration.
Same here, a friend of mine just got it and it wasn't all that bad. I don't have an iPhone yet but have played with both a little bit. I would say Sprint is going to take some market share with their very competitive pricing plans. At&t is basically dropping the phone price but recovering the cost within your 2 year contract. I thought I was going to save about $30 switching from Verizon but it appears it may cost me about $10 more with At&t's ridiculous text plans.

winterymix

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
St. Albans, WV
If I had never used/owned an iPhone, this phone would seem incredible to me, and I would want one badly. However, since I do own an iPhone, it seems a little clunky. iPhone's strongest draw, at least for me, is it's wonderful browser, and it's super-slick interface. It's just so hard for other companies out there to develop anything that doesn't seem clunky in contrast.

-Winterymix

projectdarkside

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
If I had never used/owned an iPhone, this phone would seem incredible to me, and I would want one badly. However, since I do own an iPhone, it seems a little clunky. iPhone's strongest draw, at least for me, is it's wonderful browser, and it's super-slick interface. It's just so hard for other companies out there to develop anything that doesn't seem clunky in contrast.

-Winterymix
don't forget the super-slick design of the iPhone over the plastic blocky Instinct;)