Save battery, for those who are not getting enough

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Force quitting apps all the time will eventually create corrupt preference files. When an app closes normally (or in the case of the iPhone, the app is switched to the background), it would write info back to it's caches and preference files. If you force quit it every time, it would never have a chance to do this, and eventually the state of the caches/preferences will not match the actual state of the app and you will get crashes.

Doing this constantly is a recipe for an unstable phone.
But the iPhone apps, I believe, are never closed. They are always running so I don't think your point is valid. That's just my thinking, I can be wrong though.

S.Gitlin

Jul 18, 2007
I just did a chat now with an Apple expert on Apple.com..this is a snapshot of our convo..............

<LI class=cust>You: I've been reading numerous forum about force quitting applications like safari, mail, and ipod by holding the home button for several seconds. Is this necessary to truly preserve battery life or should it just be done if your not planning on using the applications for an extended period of time?
<LI class=agnt>Tim: Good question...
<LI class=agnt>Tim: The actual strain of having multiple programs open at once on battery life is probably small, if it even exists...
<LI class=agnt>Tim: People may be used to doing that with their Macs, where there's a hard drive that can spin up, which would affect battery performance.
<LI class=agnt>Tim: However, I have not seen any benchmarks on what affect - if any - it has on an iPhone without a hard disk.
<LI class=cust>You: That's what I figured, so basically disabling wi-fi when not using is the only way to have maximum battery life?
<LI class=agnt>Tim: Turning off things like Bluetooth or wifi can improve battery life, yes.
<LI class=cust>You: Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
But the iPhone apps, I believe, are never closed. They are always running so I don't think your point is valid. That's just my thinking, I can be wrong though.
The whole point of this thread is that you CAN close them to save battery life, and how to do it.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
The whole point of this thread is that you CAN close them to save battery life, and how to do it.
You are right, but you misunderstood what I tried to say, or I said it wrong.

What I meant was that by going to the home screen the apps are not closed, but by holding the home button they are.

I don't know if I'm confisong you, If yes sorry but can't explain it.