SeaWorld trainer killed by killer whale

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The killer whale can't be blamed for this. I know these whales probably get the best of care but they are still confined to such small areas. This leads to stress for animals whose natural habitat is the ocean. I feel the same about elephants and other circus animals that are enslaved for people's amusement and profit.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The killer whale can't be blamed for this. I know these whales probably get the best of care but they are still confined to such small areas. This leads to stress for animals whose natural habitat is the ocean. I feel the same about elephants and other circus animals that are enslaved for people's amusement and profit.
Exactly. And I also learned that these whales have a half lifespan when in captivity as opposed to their natural setting.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Definitely a tragic story. The weird part for me is that I was just reading a mailer from Sea World that came today as I walked in to my room and saw the news story flash up.

TBL

Bronze
Dec 8, 2009
Tampa, FL
Orca's are the world's largest apex predator. They are actually the largest dolphin species that got the "Killer Whale" nickname because they've been known to eat whales... among eating seals, seal lions, walruses, sharks and dolphins. They have been seen killing great white sharks, full grown great white sharks. They aren't exactly the greatest pet in the world.

This one in particular has had incidents with people before. They can't release it to the wild because it can very well teach other Orca's to hunt people, if it feels that humans are prey... and yes, they literally teach each other how to hunt specific prey. I've seen video of these things choreographing a partial breech to create a wave to knock a sea lion off a small iceberg.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
They probably shouldn't have been in captivity in the first place and forced to do tricks for crowds. I feel sorry for trainer and family. She dedicated her life to these whales. They said the whale grabbed her arm, I wonder if he was playing or meant to hurt her. I heard the whale attacked another trainer before, but the second incident was an idiot who snuck into Sea World in his swimming trunks and died from hypothermia, the whale didn't kill him. Anyways, I still remember watching Free Willy when I was young and then hated seeing whales at theme parks, I always wanted to set them free!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
They can't release it to the wild because it can very well teach other Orca's to hunt people, if it feels that humans are prey... and yes, they literally teach each other how to hunt specific prey.
I seriously doubt that is why Sea World are refusing to let this whale free. If it was a land walking animal, I could maybe believe it - but whales....No way.

TBL

Bronze
Dec 8, 2009
Tampa, FL
I seriously doubt that is why Sea World are refusing to let this whale free. If it was a land walking animal, I could maybe believe it - but whales....No way.
Actually, an expert has said that the Jaws scenario is a big reason why they won't release it in the wild. He also said that they couldn't kill it because of the obvious animal enthusiast reactions.

Orca's can hunt seals on land, by the shore obviously. These things figure out what a good food source is, then they figure out how to capture it and they teach it to each other.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Count me in as not a fan of animals in captivity ie zoos, circuses etc. I much prefer to watch videos of them in their natural habitat. Seeing a lion in a fenced enclosure in an urban area...well there is something very wrong with that. Sad this trainer lost her life. Why not build a waterpark for the humans to enjoy with big screens showing documenteries on ocean animals. Circuses could be built around domesticated animals and human tricks also incorporating videos of wild animals. The "performances" in the wild are far more interesting than anything a trainer could teach.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Count me in as not a fan of animals in captivity ie zoos, circuses etc. I much prefer to watch videos of them in their natural habitat. Seeing a lion in a fenced enclosure in an urban area...well there is something very wrong with that. Sad this trainer lost her life. Why not build a waterpark for the humans to enjoy with big screens showing documenteries on ocean animals. Circuses could be built around domesticated animals and human tricks also incorporating videos of wild animals. The "performances" in the wild are far more interesting than anything a trainer could teach.
Well said BrownGem. People and the media act all shocked when these animals turn on humans and kill them. It wasn't the animal that took the human out of their natural habitat, but the other way around. I will NEVER visit theme parks, circuses, etc. that enslave animals. They will not make a cent off of me. The only exception might be certain zoos that design the environment for the animal's needs, with lots of room such as a wildlilfe refuge. Once again, it is man's greed and selfishness that rears its ugly head. You made a very good point about how circuses should be. A good example of this is Cirque du Soleil.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
There is probably no hope for animals like this whale that has been in captivity for so long. They sadly now probably wouldn't be able to survive in the wild on their own, they are use to performing, etc. for their food. If they are just thrown out there who knows, it's like a home school kid being thrown into a hard core high school.
I believe in rehabilitating whales or taking care of sick whales in captivity if needed, re-release them if they get better, but I hate that they are used for entertainment reasons.