Send pics from iPhone to your .Mac Photo Gallery! AWESOME!

iFun Girl

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
I think I am missing something, why is this exciting? Not be be the negative one, but what does this really do for me? I take a photo and upload it to a .mac site then share that?
I have to agree with this. I mean, can't I already do the same thing on Photobucket, Textamerica, etc., etc.? Or does this photo gallery have something that the other sites do not?

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Well, here's the first "live" one I've seen.

http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker

It certainly is different from other online hosting sites I've seen -- whether its better, faster, or cooler is like so many things I'm sure in the eye of the beholder, but from this chair its awfuly slick -- check out all the different views it offers.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I think that one is the "demo" of this. I watched the little video of this (someone linked it in the other thread) and those people, particularly the little girl with red hair looks very familiar as does the folder of Mammoth lake.

Does a .mac account cost anything for this new feature? Hopefully not as Kodak gallery is free and I have over 6 years of photos up there (started my account there when it was ofoto) and would hate to start a new photo life.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Well, I see it is part of the paid service. Oh well, new software and an annual fee. I guess I will enjoy ones that other people set up!

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
The annual fee is nothing new. Its always been $99 and has received increasing criticism as it was only 1 gig, but yesterday they blessed us with a tenfold increase and no price increase -- pretty sweet. I've enjoyed having and using my .Mac account. Now if I'd just get off lazy butt and use iWeb to get a web site up..........

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well, here's the first "live" one I've seen.

http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker

It certainly is different from other online hosting sites I've seen -- whether its better, faster, or cooler is like so many things I'm sure in the eye of the beholder, but from this chair its awfuly slick -- check out all the different views it offers.
While that is just a demo site it does show off how well it looks on an iPhone. For those who haven't seen it, check out that URL on your iPhone. Amazing!

It's almost like expanding your iPhone's videos and photos: it looks just like an iPhone app; videos and photos open seamlessly and quickly.

Even though I'm a PC user I signed up for a trial .Mac account to try it out. Too bad it's $100 a year--seems a bit pricey.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Even though I'm a PC user I signed up for a trial .Mac account to try it out. Too bad it's $100 a year--seems a bit pricey.
Well so much for that.

Thought maybe you could create a gallery online (not using iPhone) and then view it with an iPhone (or any browser). But--apparently--you can't even do that without iLife '08 too (which requires a Mac of course).

Considering all of the PC-using iPhone owners out there I'm a bit disappointed that this is a Mac-only feature.

BTW: I setup my .Mac (email) account on my iPhone and "Add to Web Gallery" has yet to appear. Synced too. Guess it doesn't matter since it won't work for me anyway...

--
Mike

garymooks

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Web gallery on iPhone

When you browse the web gallery with iPhone the URL changes and seems to be kind of optimised for iPhone...maybe sending only thumbnails to the iPhone..

The page looks exactly like the Photos App..AWESOME!Love it!

One thing is I cant get the display options(Carousel or Mosaic)..it is only displayed in "Grid" format by default..

Luv it..though!:laugh2: