SGP Neo hybrid EX

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Let me start by saying that the Dante Red is nice looking.

That said, SGP really screwed up an opportunity to improve on the Apple bumper. All this case needed to do was to recreate the Apple bumper, but be tighter. Well, its tighter but there is ZERO tackiness to it. So, it does not fee secure in the hand, and you absoultely cannot place this at any angle, where it will not slide (like on an excersize bike at the gym).

Huge let down....does SGP acually try these things before the order for the masses. Unless I can compensate with an e-grip, it will go back.

Also they need to offer these types of cases without screen protectors. Many of us already have the type we like, and I don't like paying for something I am not going to use.

This is a $5 to $10 bumper.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
I find it to be, at least at this point a significant improvement because there is shock absorbtion under the center/outer plastic.

I think you may simply need to break it in a bit. I have had mine and used it as normal some gaming, etc, for 12 hours and it has ample tackiness - I think there is a slight coating designed to help get the outer plastic on - but that is a guess.

It is NOT as tacky as the Apple bumper, and the shape is different as well, but I think it is a very successful attempt at an improved bumper.

I was not happy with the front protector, I messed it up a bit, the back was flawless.

Overall quite satisfied, but it has only been a day. And I do agree these (none of them) are worth anywhere near what the various companies charge for them.

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
I find it to be, at least at this point a significant improvement because there is shock absorbtion under the center/outer plastic.

I think you may simply need to break it in a bit. I have had mine and used it as normal some gaming, etc, for 12 hours and it has ample tackiness - I think there is a slight coating designed to help get the outer plastic on - but that is a guess.

It is NOT as tacky as the Apple bumper, and the shape is different as well, but I think it is a very successful attempt at an improved bumper.

I was not happy with the front protector, I messed it up a bit, the back was flawless.

Overall quite satisfied, but it has only been a day. And I do agree these (none of them) are worth anywhere near what the various companies charge for them.
I applied mine perfectly but reapplied my power support due to me wanting the anti fingerprint but still crystal clear version :D, I love the matte finish the fuss effect my power support gives. I reinstalled the one I used before and it was dust less... I stuck it to a piece of sheet plastic.

The crystal screen protector was nice, but I'd like the Oleo version, the sticky goating is very sticky hence it's hard to remove dust if you don't apply it perfectly, or want to re-position it. It's do-able but it takes a lot more time. More power support is a 3 minute job, whilst the SGP took more time because I had to carefuly peel the tape till it peeled off.

Case is nice though, buttons could with a revision.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
I'm not sure what you mean re: buttons, I prefer the metal of the Apple bumper, but the SPG plastic are much more responsive -likely they are deeper.

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not sure what you mean re: buttons, I prefer the metal of the Apple bumper, but the SPG plastic are much more responsive -likely they are deeper.
They look badly painted over, the '-' has a seam through it for example, and it's very noticeable, my + / - are perfectly aligned either.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
I see. I agree with the painting and seem issue. But, I think responsiveness outweighs this. Further, I think most users - by the time they get and apply the case would know that up is the upper button and down would be the lower button. Again, I agree with the painting etc, but the responsiveness and better tactile feel - for me, compared to the original Apple bumper outweigh.

As to alignment - is that something you can/should adjust? I am frankly quite surprised, at this early stage at how responsive the buttons are - I was quite aprehensive, as I prefer metal to plastic on those buttons.

I am satisfied with the bumper, it is too expensive for what one gets. I am also rather happy with both the front and rear films, I could have done better on the front film, but the back film is perfect.

if I had it to do over again, I think would have purchased the hybrid that has the back covered.

I think the fit is so snug that any cushioning supplied by the inner bumper may be reduced by the tight fitting outer bumper.

All that said, I have not seen anything that I like more for a similar price - and the free shipping offered by cretouch got it to me in 3 days from LA to DC - it was send direct from the SGP people. As I think I stated in an earlier post, I think Cretouch is a subsite (or something) of SGP.

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah it's a reseller, it took 3 weeks to reach UK and I have to sell 1/2 of the price again for custom charge. Also, it still needs to be pre ordered as they have a high demand, but I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

cseaman

Aug 31, 2010
I ordered the neo hybrid (not the ex) from the states (I'm in the UK). It arrived a week ago and is great! Back cover protects glass but looks slim like bumper style :)

bettz1

Oct 12, 2009
I received my neo hybrid ex this week in yellow.First impression was that it didn't look as nice as the colour on there site.it's a tight squeeze to get the case on. I'm happy with it wish I'd gone for the silver colour now though although I won't order again as customs charged me £11

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
I received my neo hybrid ex this week in yellow.First impression was that it didn't look as nice as the colour on there site.it's a tight squeeze to get the case on. I'm happy with it wish I'd gone for the silver colour now though although I won't order again as customs charged me £11
ARGH'' the customs charge was so bad, but I love the Satin silver case.

Meltdownblitz

Bronze
Aug 23, 2009
The Hula was my fav case until I got the Ex. When I got the Ex my first impression was that I hated it from the slipperiness of the device when in your hand and was about to take it off immediately, but I decided to give the case a chance because of all the testimonials and use it for a few days and I ended up LOVING it. I ended up getting past how slippery it was and got used to it, I haven't noticed that its slippery anymore. Hasn't slipped out of my hand nor came close, feels the same way as the hula would in my hand now. I haven't even changed my case nor thought about it since I put the Ex on my phone, which hasn't happened before, I'm usually constantly changing cases. I absolutely love the Neo Hybrid Ex on my phone, my new favorite case :) I definitely recommend it!

Here are a few photos of my Hybrid Ex:

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
Mines snapped as well when I tried cleaning the iPhone. Whoops back to Apple case for me.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
How? Taking it off?
I was carefuly taking it off, and then it just snapped, the case was just taken off way too many times, you can see the was getting weaker and weaker each time you put it on again, shame.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Well, 6 weeks in and the case has split around charge port, not impressed!
Have you contacted them?

I owe them a photo of my front protector, even though I did a crappy install job the lower left corner is peeling, so I am trying to get them to replace. All they asked for was a photo first.