Should I sell my iPad and get an iPad mini

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
It all comes down to Retina. If you can live without it, go for it. I sold my iPad 3 to get a mini and I'm really happy with that decision. The size and weight of the mini make up for the lack of Retina, in my case. I found that I use the mini much more frequently than I used the full-size iPad because it's not as heavy and I can thumb type on it.

My sentiments exactly.

Phreddyl

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I wish I had sold my 3 before the 4 came out. I love my mini. When I realized it my 3 went down so much in value I decided to keep it. couldn't see spending $650 with tax on it then loosing $200 within 7 months.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I wish I had sold my 3 before the 4 came out. I love my mini. When I realized it my 3 went down so much in value I decided to keep it. couldn't see spending $650 with tax on it then loosing $200 within 7 months.
I don't think I'll take that big of a hit. I'm thinking $50 to $100, give or take a few dollars. I guess when you add tax, it's a $150 hit if I sell around $625, which is what I just saw one sell for...

Phreddyl

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think I'll take that big of a hit. I'm thinking $50 to $100, give or take a few dollars. I guess when you add tax, it's a $150 hit if I sell around $625, which is what I just saw one sell for...
I have the 32gig one. You can get a refurb from Apple for under $500. Why would anyone buy mine for more than $450. That's my thought anyway.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have the 32gig one. You can get a refurb from Apple for under $500. Why would anyone buy mine for more than $450. That's my thought anyway.
I have the iPad 4, so value is still pretty high.

eBay surprises me sometimes. It's almost as if some people get lost in the auction and refuse to lose, which jacks up the price higher than they should realistically be paying.

Phreddyl

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I have the iPad 4, so value is still pretty high.

eBay surprises me sometimes. It's almost as if some people get lost in the auction and refuse to lose, which jacks up the price higher than they should realistically be paying.
Yeah that's true. Btw on a side note took your advice and got the big jambox speaker. Love it!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yeah that's true. Btw on a side note took your advice and got the big jambox speaker. Love it!
Awesome. I actually thought about our conversation today when I was at Costco and saw the Bose docks.

Definitely a good move going bigger on the Jambox. If you push the smaller one, the sound quality drops off quite a bit.

Reactions: Phreddyl

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
I'm glad I found this thread! I just sold my iPad 1 on eBay yesterday with the plan to get an iPad mini. I also have an iPad 2 that I use around the house, but I travel a lot for work and with my laptop my bag can get pretty heavy. I also am leaning towards the 4G LTE version, but I haven't decided yet. Since I have never had retina display except on my iPhones, I don't think I will miss it. Based on the comments above, I think I will be happy making this switch!

JanL

Bronze
Aug 26, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
I just bought iPad mini and love it, but the battery seems to run down fast, anyone else have that problem? I was using 1st gen iPad.

Sent using iCafe app

montfordJ

Feb 15, 2013
I answered the same dilemma for my self a few days ago and I am satisfied with the change. iPad mini is so handy and does what the big one does. :)

iNotes4You

Bronze
Dec 8, 2012
GERMANY
iNotes4You.com
I'm sure the Mini will get a Retina display this year. Once you have used the Retina all other displays will not convince you any longer. That's my very personal opinion because I have to WORK with iPad more than 4 hours a day. Any other display is exhausting.

Jersep

Feb 20, 2013
Hello, it depends on what you do with your devices, I owns an iPad 2 64gb 3G wifi since a couple of months after they came out and I still very satisfied with the 64gb capacity, I'm a power user of the device I have about 4K+ songs, 15K+ pics and many applications including many many manuals on it and still have more than 20gb remaining, I don't think I will change my iPad to another one this year, probably in 2014 but for sure its going to be to nither big screen not the ipad mini (which I bought one for my daughter ) because since I used it tonread a lot a lot I prefer to have the big screen.

Regards

Jose

Sent using iCafe app

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
I held a mini. The full version is much better. Why did Apple not include retina? Oh, so they can screw everyone who bought a mini this fall when the retina version comes out.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I held a mini. The full version is much better. Why did Apple not include retina? Oh, so they can screw everyone who bought a mini this fall when the retina version comes out.
I disagree. It depends on what your priorities are. If you need Retina, yes, the full-size is probably the way to go. But if you want a tablet that's smaller and lightweight, the mini is a better option. I sold my iPad 3 to get a mini because non-retina wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I also disagree that Apple is screwing anyone over. That's the way things work in the tech world. Each new model has improvements so you'll want to upgrade. We have the option of holding out for Retina if we want to.

People get angry at Apple because they don't update products soon enough, but they also get mad when they are updated too soon because they feel screwed since they bought the previous model.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I also disagree that Apple is screwing anyone over. That's the way things work in the tech world. Each new model has improvements so you'll want to upgrade. We have free will to choose what and when we want to buy stuff. We have the option of holding out for retina if we want to. The next iPhone will have improvements over the iPhone 5, would you also consider everyone who bought a 5 to be screwed?

People get angry at Apple because they don't update products soon enough, but they also get mad when they are updated too soon because they feel "screwed" since they bought the previous model.
I agree with Europa..

The only people who can 'maybe' claim they got screwed in my opinion are the iPad 3 purchasers and I only say that because the transition from the 3 to the 4 was 8 months instead of Apples normal 12..

Even saying they got screwed is a stretch because 8 months is still much longer than most Android users get.

Heck, you can buy a top of the line, state of the art Android and 3 months later there is something bigger and badder out..

I think Apples release schedule is pretty fair and consistent for the most part..