iPhone 6s Should I trade in my AT&T Next iPhone 6 or sell it to upgrade to iPhone 6s?

Tomscave

Bronze
Dec 10, 2009
Sunshine State
image.jpg I'm confused about my NEXT plan. I thought whe idea behind NEXT was to get a new phone every year. I got my 6+ Last November, but the text I received is what has me confused.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
View attachment 42678 I'm confused about my NEXT plan. I thought whe idea behind NEXT was to get a new phone every year. I got my 6+ Last November, but the text I received is what has me confused.
They have different payment plans. Only the most expensive one allows you to upgrade every twelve months. You got a cheaper one that gives you lower monthly payments, and therefore it takes longer to get the upgrade point.

chimera

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
Interesting, so that's another element of my question. Exactly when do you turn in your iPhone 6 and how does that affect pre-order day? In my case, I'm going to the iPhone 6 Plus, so my monthly charge will be greater due to additional cost of the device.

My account is so confusing now. I'm on a 2GB Mobile Share Plan w/ Next. My wife is on a 1GB Mobile Share with an on-contract phone. It's odd because they are all under my master account. It seems to me we'd benefit from having one single data plan – both from having more data and cutting costs. I know that today AT&T made some changes to data plans, so it might be a good time to have a conversation with them.

She has no interest, nor a need to upgrade. I think for the iPhone 7, I'll shift her to Next. We need to get these data plans in order.

So, September 2nd trade-in? Looks like I'll be using my Moto X or HTC M7 for a few weeks. Can Next customers pre-order through Apple?
I just recently found out I could upgrade from 2 to 3 gigs with no extra charge on ATT. You should check into it.

Reactions: chris

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They want $10 a month to do this, at least for me.
I didn't know they started charging for it. There was a long period where they were adding it for free. I used the AT&T app to upgrade mine last winter. It only took a minute. Did you know about it back then? I'm pretty sure we had a thread here regarding it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I didn't know they started charging for it. There was a long period where they were adding it for free. I used the AT&T app to upgrade mine last winter. It only took a minute. Did you know about it back then? I'm pretty sure we had a thread here regarding it.
I just looked and I'm paying $40 for the 2GB plan plus rollover. If I pay $50, I can upgrade to 5GB. My wife is on a 1GB plan. She's also on a standard two-year contract. It's all incredibly confusing.

As for my trade-in, I'm rethinking that as well. I can pay $112 and trade the phone in to reset eligibility. If I pay $411, I own the phone. Buying outright is the move if I can sell it for more than $312. I'm guessing that probably shouldn't be too hard. If I meet the "flawless" guidelines, I can get $390 from Gazelle.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I just read my own guide on how to sell your old iPhone and upgrade to the new iPhone. I decided to pay off my iPhone for $411. Using the form to eBay linked in the article, I noticed these phones are trending at $689. I have a 64GB iPhone 6. Once I paid off the phone, I submitted a request to unlock the phone. Once that's complete, I'll likely go the eBay route. I did ask Gazelle to ship me a box and they confirmed a $390 buy. If for some reason I noticed values trending down on eBay and want a quick out, I could always defer to Gazelle.

I decided against Craigslist. I've been turned off the past few weeks by sketchy buyers (and dopey questions) for other stuff I've got up there.

FreStylMotoX01

Feb 21, 2009
Try Swappa.com, You don't pay any fees for listing and selling your phone except for the paypal fees, the buyer pays the fee ($10 for all listings). I just sold my iPhone 6 128GB and got more money for it there then ebay, plus I didn't have to pay 10 percent back. It was an overall positive experience.

Reactions: chris

FreStylMotoX01

Feb 21, 2009
I should also mention, I listed my phone Weds, It sold Thursday afternoon, and I purchased my replacement on Friday. It was quick and easy.

crashnburn

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty sure you can't do that.
2-year aggrements and ETFs have been or are currently being phased out. The new thing is zero down with payment plans and no contract. You leave, you return the phone. It's simple. It's not bad when you factor in the lower costs of the plans now. It offsets the monthly cost of the hardware quite a bit. My bill only went up by five dollars a month because I was able to get cheaper data and drop the unlimited messaging fee that's now included for free. That $70 a year is better than the full or subsidized cost I used to pay every year for phones ($300 - $750). And turning the phone back into them at the end of the year is easier than selling privately. Next is pretty awesome.
They have different payment plans. Only the most expensive one allows you to upgrade every twelve months. You got a cheaper one that gives you lower monthly payments, and therefore it takes longer to get the upgrade point.
Interesting. I have been out of touch with this.
I just looked and I'm paying $40 for the 2GB plan plus rollover. If I pay $50, I can upgrade to 5GB. My wife is on a 1GB plan. She's also on a standard two-year contract. It's all incredibly confusing.

As for my trade-in, I'm rethinking that as well. I can pay $112 and trade the phone in to reset eligibility. If I pay $411, I own the phone. Buying outright is the move if I can sell it for more than $312. I'm guessing that probably shouldn't be too hard. If I meet the "flawless" guidelines, I can get $390 from Gazelle.
Smart move.
I just read my own guide I decided to pay off my iPhone for $411. Using the form to eBay linked in the article, I noticed these phones are trending at $689. I have a 64GB iPhone 6. Once I paid off the phone, I submitted a request to unlock the phone. Once that's complete, I'll likely go the eBay route. I did ask Gazelle to ship me a box and they confirmed a $390 buy. If for some reason I noticed values trending down on eBay and want a quick out, I could always defer to Gazelle.

I decided against Craigslist. I've been turned off the past few weeks by sketchy buyers (and dopey questions) for other stuff I've got up there.
Yeah CL has become iffy for phones. The 6 market values are still sky high in non US locations.

Try Swappa.com, You don't pay any fees for listing and selling your phone except for the paypal fees, the buyer pays the fee ($10 for all listings). I just sold my iPhone 6 128GB and got more money for it there then ebay, plus I didn't have to pay 10 percent back. It was an overall positive experience.
Anyone else try this not so known site? Any security/ escrow?

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Gazelle is buying locked ATT 128GB 6 Pluses for $425 right now. You can lock in that price now, and you have 30 days to send yours in and get a new phone. No penalty if you don't send them your phone. Heck, they may even email you and offer you even more $. I've used them before and it's been hassle free. I may just go that route.

I'm one of the holdouts of the 2 year unlimited data. Still trying to hold onto that just because.

My S/O and I are eligible for upgrades every other year (staggered), so I'll use hers this time around.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Gazelle is offering me $425 for my iPhone 6 Plus 128GB AT&T. Amazon is offering me $584.04 for a store credit. It's tempting to go the Amazon route since my phone is already paid off and my wife and I use Amazon a lot.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I just read my own guide on how to sell your old iPhone and upgrade to the new iPhone. I decided to pay off my iPhone for $411. Using the form to eBay linked in the article, I noticed these phones are trending at $689. I have a 64GB iPhone 6. Once I paid off the phone, I submitted a request to unlock the phone. Once that's complete, I'll likely go the eBay route. I did ask Gazelle to ship me a box and they confirmed a $390 buy. If for some reason I noticed values trending down on eBay and want a quick out, I could always defer to Gazelle.

I'll likely do the same. I will still owe $427 but will still make off with a couple hundred in my pocket. Only question I have is, can I just re-up for another AT&T Next Plan though?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Looks like I'll be paying off my phone and seling to Gazelle. I spoke with AT&T this morning and there is no way I will be able to pre-order on the 11th since my eligibility date to order is the 13th (I got my iPhone 6 on launch day) if I return the phone to them and pay the $37 that remains. They said if you are returning it AT&T, you can't bring it in early and pay off your last hardware charge. You have to trade it in at the time you get the new phone and pay the last hardware charge at that point. So that means waiting in line if you want to get a launch day phone. However, if you pay off the remaining balance on the phone now, the upgrade eligibility will be reset within 24 hours and you can pre-order from Apple on the 11th. I'm going to start the Gazelle process now. I'll be able to keep the phone up until I get the new one, so that's also a bonus and I should make a profit of about $50 since my phone is unlocked. The profit would be higher with craigslist, but I don't feel like dealing with it this year.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Looks like I'll be paying off my phone and seling to Gazelle. I spoke with AT&T this morning and there is no way I will be able to pre-order on the 11th since my eligibility date to order is the 13th (I got my iPhone 6 on launch day). They said if you are returning it AT&T, you can't bring it in early and pay off your last hardware charge. You have to trade it in at the time you get the new phone and pay the last hardware charge at that point. So that means waiting in line if you want to get a launch day phone. However, if you pay off the remaining balance on the phone now, the upgrade eligibility will be reset within 24 hours and you can pre-order from Apple on the 11th. I'm going to start the Gazelle process now. I'll be able to keep the phone up until I get the new one, so that's also a bonus and I should make a profit of about $50 since my phone is unlocked. The profit would be higher with craigslist, but I don't feel like dealing with it this year.
Wow I'm shocked. I've said this before, but it makes no sense to me. AT&T Next is supposed to be for people who want a new phone every year. Isn't it somewhat implied that this means a percentage of those folks are going to want the new phone on launch day? I'm in a tough position now because I want to pre-order the new iPhone to get on launch day, don't want to be without my current iPhone, but Gazelle is only offering $405 for my 128GB Black 6 Plus. Payoff is $427 and I also have the "This line may be eligible for an upgrade after 1 more installment payment." My next AT&T Bill isn't due until the end of September. Any ideas?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Wow I'm shocked. I've said this before, but it makes no sense to me. AT&T Next is supposed to be for people who want a new phone every year. Isn't it somewhat implied that this means a percentage of those folks are going to want the new phone on launch day? I'm in a tough position now because I want to pre-order the new iPhone to get on launch day, don't want to be without my current iPhone, but Gazelle is only offering $405 for my 128GB Black 6 Plus. Payoff is $427 and I also have the "This line may be eligible for an upgrade after 1 more installment payment." My next AT&T Bill isn't due until the end of September. Any ideas?
You'd still come out slightly ahead with Gazelle because you won't have to pay AT&T $45 or so to take your phone. If you factor in the $45, you'll make a profit of about $23 when it's done, plus you get to keep your phone up until when you get the new one and you can order however you like.

Do Craigslist if you want to profit more than that. You can probably make $75+.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
You'd still come out slightly ahead with Gazelle because you won't have to pay AT&T $45 or so to take your phone. If you factor in the $45, you'll make a profit of about $23 when it's done, plus you get to keep your phone up until when you get the new one and you can order however you like.

Do Craigslist if you want to profit more than that. You can probably make $75+.
Not understanding the math. Even if I don't pay the remaining $47 last installment, I still have to hand AT&T $427 but will only get $405 from Gazelle. Where do I make the $23?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Problem solved. Nextworth.com gave me $480 locked in and 30 days to send it back. Only hiccup is that I'm stuck shelling out the $427 to AT&T in order to unlock my 6 Plus and make my account prepped for ordering the new iPhone.