Silent mode / CAP LOCKS

Tammster

Jul 15, 2008
1. The button on the top left of the iPhone 3g turns off the ringer noises... but I noticed that certain applications (games, etc) don't mute. Is there a setting/mode that will completely silence ALL sound coming from the phone, without turning the phone off? If I am in a meeting, I may want to see emails coming in but can't have the phone making noise if I switch to an application.

2. CAPLOCKS is not working for me. The manual says to doubleclick the arrow to turn on the caplocks (it's supposed to turn blue) but it does not work for me. Any ideas?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
turm your volume all the way down when your phones muted and music shouldnt pl;ay when you open certain apps since the volumes down. and idk how to turn capslock on i don't think you can but if you hold the arrow and type itll be all caps just keep holding it for whateve ryou want capped

eddit

oh there is a caps lock...yeah do what they said under me

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
To turn on the caps lock, navigate to settings/general/keyboard and turn on caps locks. Once that is on, you just double tap shift and the button wil turn blue, indicating caps lock is on.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
2. CAPLOCKS is not working for me. The manual says to doubleclick the arrow to turn on the caplocks (it's supposed to turn blue) but it does not work for me. Any ideas?
Have you enabled caps lock in the settings menu? Go to Settings --> General --> Keyboard and make sure that the Enable Caps Lock switch is set to on.

EDIT: Looks like I was a bit slow on my posting trigger finger!

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
lmao he said he knew that but he means that even when you have silent switched on most games still play sounds when you open them and he was asking if theres a way to completly silence everything includin game sounds

Last edited by a moderator:

Tammster

Jul 15, 2008
Thanks everyone. I swear I have been in the settings 50 times and somehow never noticed that (it should have been mentioned in the manual!).

I guess regarding silent mode turning the volume all the way down makes sense. Seems that the button on the side should completely silence it, but that's just my opinion. :laugh2:

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
Thanks everyone. I swear I have been in the settings 50 times and somehow never noticed that (it should have been mentioned in the manual!).

I guess regarding silent mode turning the volume all the way down makes sense. Seems that the button on the side should completely silence it, but that's just my opinion. :laugh2:
well on Apples side they did eveyrthing right. the silence switch does silent everything on Apples side. they have no control over what the devs do with theyre 3rd party apps regarding sounds and how they work

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California

I'm just impressed that someone is reading the manual. :D

I've never been thrilled with the way the silent mode operates on the iPhone, but I've adjusted to it. I'd really like a vibrate then ring setting.. or a ring that starts quiet and gets gradually louder.

Tammster

Jul 15, 2008
I guess you're right.

I really do love my iPhone. I haven had a Palm/Treo for MANY years and finally converted. I'm not at all regretting it. Having said that, the Treo's silent mode did silence the whole phone, including installed apps (which didn't even need to get approved by Palm).

Certainly not worth complaining about. I just wondered if I was missing something.

TheFamousOne

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
1. The button on the top left of the iPhone 3g turns off the ringer noises... but I noticed that certain applications (games, etc) don't mute. Is there a setting/mode that will completely silence ALL sound coming from the phone, without turning the phone off? If I am in a meeting, I may want to see emails coming in but can't have the phone making noise if I switch to an application.

I've found that if you switch the ringer mute button BEFORE opening the app, it silences it.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
um...except ipod or any video or music files.
well obviously theyre not gonna silence music and video that would be dumb. i thought that was a given and that i didn't need to write any exceptions in my original post....