SiriusXM for Your iPhone is Here!

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
That's interesting. I was a Sirius subscriber and now get Sirius/XM combined programs, though I am not sure I don't also get separate Sirius broadcasts. I will check when I am next in my car for a spell (the weekend, probably). The more I hear Pandora, and now Slacker, on my iPhone, along with all the stuff I have imported into it from iTunes, the less I see the need for Sirius/XM (I am not a fan of Howard Stern, so what other good reason is there?)
Correct.

- Our two Prius cars have XM... and now we get a some Sirius stations
- Our Jeep has a Sirius receiver... and now we get some XM stations

However, the channel lineup, and station availability is not the same on Sirius and XM. Neither set of satellites has enough bandwidth to carry the the full set of XM and Sirius stations.

I wonder if over time they will prune more stations... until they send the same programming over both sets of satellites. Also... at some point they may decommission one set of satellites... but they will have to wait a long time to avoid very unhappy customers who get left a satellite receiver that gets no programming.

As I said earlier... their biggest biz challenge for XM/Sirius is a new world of ubiquitous internet blanketing the planet. It will take time to deploy... but as more of the world gets covered... the advantage of satellite decreases. For many people... the simple 3G network is enough now. The biz challenge will just continue to escalate at 4G rolls out or especially as WiMax provides very fast internet over huge geographic areas.

/Jim

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
That's interesting. I was a Sirius subscriber and now get Sirius/XM combined programs, though I am not sure I don't also get separate Sirius broadcasts. I will check when I am next in my car for a spell (the weekend, probably). The more I hear Pandora, and now Slacker, on my iPhone, along with all the stuff I have imported into it from iTunes, the less I see the need for Sirius/XM (I am not a fan of Howard Stern, so what other good reason is there?)
Have you noticed that when the play the station ID they'll say "Sirius xx, XM xx"? They simulcast the stations on both birds, but you don't get it all. Even the "best off" is a crock and only gets you a few more channels of the other service.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Definitely interested in this app! I have Sirius in both cars now but it will be great to listen to it when I am in someone else's car or at the beach.

OhWhyMe

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
I have Sirius in my car and really enjoy it. I would like to have it on my 3g.
I don't know if you knew this or not but you can listen to Sirius through Orb on your iPhone. If you do a search I am sure you can find out how to set it up, its pretty easy. You will also need uSirius and orb on your computer in order to for it to work.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I don't know if you knew this or not but you can listen to Sirius through Orb on your iPhone. If you do a search I am sure you can find out how to set it up, its pretty easy. You will also need uSirius and orb on your computer in order to for it to work.
I've used this setup with varied success. It did work but would lose connection every so often (like every 2-5 minutes).

Like most I'm hoping for the app to bring a little more stability to the equation.

OhWhyMe

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
I've used this setup with varied success. It did work but would lose connection every so often (like every 2-5 minutes).

Like most I'm hoping for the app to bring a little more stability to the equation.
I had problems for a little while but I use it everyday and 95% of the time it works great. There is an option to do a speed test which I always change it to 130 and it runs well. The screen has to be kept on like you cant put the phone in sleep mode. I just have it hooked up to my battery charger throughout the day. Sometimes you have to delete the lineup cache in uSirius or delete orb from the pc and reinstall. It sounds cumbersome but to be able to listen to Sirius all day makes the day go a lot faster at work :)

I found out how to get this running from EIC Forums, if you do a search for it anyone looking how to hook it up and trouble shoot it can figure it out. Here is a helpful link:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/sirius-on-iphone.5543/

Last edited by a moderator:

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I just noticed that the stream quality will be limited to 32 kbps over EDGE and 3G. For the cost of Sirius, will this still be worth the cost?

andyveale

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
I just noticed that the stream quality will be limited to 32 kbps over EDGE and 3G. For the cost of Sirius, will this still be worth the cost?
tbqh, you probably won't know a difference unless you're playing it through your iHome or something (and even then, IF you see a change, it'll probably be minute)

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I bit of bad news on the XM/Sirius side.... They are going to be upping their prices in March and one of the things to go away is internet streaming radio for free. They want to charge an extra 3 bucks a month. So that means that to use this app, if it works like the internet players, you'll have to pay an extra fee every month. Pretty lame on XM/Sirius' part.... losing money and charging whats left of their customers even more... what a good way to get more customers...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Satellite radio loses a LOT of customers because of their pricing. It's just the sad fact that most people are not willing to pay that much for streaming music these days.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I wonder what would happen if you buy the lifetime subscription? Might be worth it before the price hike.