SiriusXM for Your iPhone is Here!

sleeks

Mar 27, 2008
Howard read an article on Thursday saying that the developers were planning on submitting the app to Apple this weekend. Lets hope it gets approved as I'd love to have this next week.

Howard also said that if it was true, he would switch to an iPhone....LOL.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
$hit i think that they are going to file for bankruptcy, this sucks, hope they get the app out first, i was in a car for like 15 min and all it was all commercials, that was annoying...

cevtv

Bronze
Nov 23, 2008
$hit i think that they are going to file for bankruptcy, this sucks, hope they get the app out first, i was in a car for like 15 min and all it was all commercials, that was annoying...

What good is the App if they go out of businesss, which seems to be the case for most companies filing bankruptcy nowadays......

sleeks

Mar 27, 2008
Nope. Beta is closed. Its been submitted to Apple and just waiting on Apple to approve it and put it up in the App Store.

jbjints

Feb 14, 2009
Do not write off Howard Stern and SiriusXM just yet. Mel Karmazin is running the show and he knows how to get it done. There are two companies that are interested in purchasing SiriusXM though, one of them being EchoStar. I have been a Sirius subscriber since September of 05 and I tried listening to terestrial radio and I just cannot, the two do not compare and for me to lose SiriusXM would be devastating.

I think Mel will pull another rabbit out of the hat though and get it done. Tuesday February 17th we will know everything we need to know. SiriusXM has to come up with 41 million to pay off a debt, Echostar's chairman wants to buy that debt which in essense would give him ownership of SiriusXM. Sorry that my info. is all over the place just making sure I hit every issue that is an issue at this time.

Go Mel.

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Do not write off Howard Stern and SiriusXM just yet. Mel Karmazin is running the show and he knows how to get it done. There are two companies that are interested in purchasing SiriusXM though, one of them being EchoStar. I have been a Sirius subscriber since September of 05 and I tried listening to terestrial radio and I just cannot, the two do not compare and for me to lose SiriusXM would be devastating.

I think Mel will pull another rabbit out of the hat though and get it done. Tuesday February 17th we will know everything we need to know. SiriusXM has to come up with 41 million to pay off a debt, Echostar's chairman wants to buy that debt which in essense would give him ownership of SiriusXM. Sorry that my info. is all over the place just making sure I hit every issue that is an issue at this time.

Go Mel.
I have been a Sirius subscriber since June '05 in our Jeep with a lifetime subscription. I have also been a subscriber to XM in both of our Prius Hybrids since '06. Like you... I cannot stand to listen to terrestrial radio anymore... and if I have my way, I will never tune to one again. The advertisements are so insulting to one's intelligence... I would rather listen to road noise than put up with another radio ad again.

Having said that, I think that satellite radio is going to face an almost insurmountable businesss challenge over the next several years. Their current technology differentiator is delivery of content nearly everywhere. Their businesss challenge is ubiquitous internet... and the fact that new cars will be introduced which are internet enabled. I believe the progression of technology integration will follow something as:

1) AM radios only (50's)
2) AM/FM radios (60's)
3) AM/FM/Cassette (70's)
4) AM/FM/CD (90s)
5) AM/FM/CD/Aux-in ('00s)
6) AM/FM/CD/Aux-in/Stereo bluetooth input/SAT ('00s)
7) Internet enabled cars ('10s)

Today's introduction of Aux-in and Stereo Bluetooth-in allows cars to have the first bleeding edge of internet connected music today. On my trip over the coast range this weekend... when the SAT signal became unusable (common in mountain/forest areas)... I plugged in my iPhone to the Prius' Aux-in, and listed to Internet commercial free radio, then Pandora, then our 100GB iTunes collection streamed into our car from our home server using Simplify Media. I was able to get great streaming commercial free radio even in an area where SAT was unusable. Of course... in fairness SAT currently delivers content in other areas where there is no internet connectivity.

The problem with "Aux-In" is that a very narrow segment of the population (mostly youth) will put up with the inconveniences of wires and portable devices. However, with the building out of wireless internet infrastructure with 4G and/or WiMax... the internet will expected to work everywhere... and cars will be shipped with integrated internet connectivity. In this environment... XM/Sirius will have a very difficult challenge... because their content alone is not compelling enough to keep people paying for a SAT subscription.

I expect that XM/Sirius will face very difficult challenges. They absolutely need to re-invent their businesss in a fundamental way... otherwise, they will not be able to survive another decade. In the mean time... I will continue to enjoy their services, at least until I get new internet connected vehicles.

/Jim

goheels42

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Connecticut 860
Starplyr Not Approved

got this press release off the starplyr website:

As of yesterday, the uSirius StarPlayr Application for iPhone still had a status of "In Review" with Apple. Late last night, we became aware that the application could not be approved at this time.

What a huge disappointment to say the least.

sleeks

Mar 27, 2008
Rumor is copyright problems, which surprises me unless this is a lot different than their existing players for mac, pc, and windows mobile.

Although, I think all those are free and maybe this is an issue for Sirius. Maybe they are requesting that if NiceMac is going to charge for it, then they have to pay for copyright usage? Total speculation there. I'm still hoping for this to be released soon. Now I'm mad I wasn't in on the beta.

everythingsmores

Feb 11, 2009
I will say, however, Sleeks that since I started using Slacker, I actually like it better than the Sirius Radio in my car.
I like the selection better (it depends on what you like to listen to), and the audio quality of the Sirius is pretty bad in my opinion.

sleeks

Mar 27, 2008
I will say, however, Sleeks that since I started using Slacker, I actually like it better than the Sirius Radio in my car.
I like the selection better (it depends on what you like to listen to), and the audio quality of the Sirius is pretty bad in my opinion.

Yup, I use Pandora and Slacker. Both are nice.

I really have Sirius for Nascar, Howard, NFL, and a few of the music channels. I was really looking forward to this app to be able to plug in those things that you can't get from Pandora, Slacker, or other "radio" apps.