SMS ringtones

coolkendude

Feb 21, 2010
Does anyone know how to set up personalize text message ringtones? I'm using the iPhone 3g and running 3.1.3 i would appreciate this....
Unfortunately, unless you jailbreak your iPhone, you can't setup personalized text message ringtones. You can do personalized ringtones for calls but not for text messages. All of your text messages can only have one ringtone out of the 6 available (7 if you count "None").

If you do decide to jailbreak, I think one of the methods they do to change the text message ringtone is to SSH the new ringtones into the iPhone. I don't really know the details because I'm not jailbroken but I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial out there somewhere on how to do this if you really want this functionality.

qnc

Sep 20, 2009
When you say personalize are you talking about changeing the default to something else or having a SMS tone for a single contact.

coolkendude was correct that you would need a jailbroken phone.

I just made SMS messages and wrote over the original with the same name to get my own personal sounds on the device. There is a tutorial out there some where.

If you are talking about having 1 SMS tone for 1 contact. There was an app called ringtones or something like that. It would allow you to set SMS tones per contact. Not sure if is compatible with 3.1.3 though, but you would still need to be jailbroken if it was.

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
Hello! I am fairly new to the forum, but have read several on changing the default sms files...i have overwritten several files...however...when i attemt to call up the file on my phone i get silence...when i replace with the default file its there...i have it jailbroken and use iPhone browser/explorer to make my changes...if i can get a link to the tutorial i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
I finally gave up and downloaded some themes for winterboard...(let someone else do the hard work)...i have been mixing and matching aspects from the different themes, and have come up with several that i am happy with! I still would love to create an original one...but i still have a lot to learn!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
In this case all you are all correct about having to overwrite/replace files.

One mentioned that the sound wouldn't play, this could be that the file is to long, incorrectly spelt or simply put in the wrong location via SSH.

When you replace the file which you want to change, you need to make sure it is spelt correctly. If it's not spelt correctly is will not work at all.

Look at the picture provided, this will show the location and the files which you replace/overwrite.

Hope this helps.

Attachments