Snow Leopard Issues and quirks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Jaadu VNC problem.
I can't log in on the iPhone with encryption. Works fine without encryption. It gives me a password error with encryption. I've tried it multiple times and the password is correct.

Can someone else check this? I'm not sure if it's a Snow Leopard problem, but Jaadu worked fine with encryption for me before updating the OS.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
We ran into many issues and I am still having many problems. One being messing the whole wifi settings, I had to re-install my printer software, I can only print now through usb not wireless, have even been on the phone with printers customer support and they told me it was the OS. It changed all my settings for mouse, etc. preferences. I cannot find now how to double click to open an app, they changed the settings and there are several options which are now gone. I have wifi working now for internet but still it's the bluetooth stuff that I am having problems with.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Still wondering about the Jaadu VNC problem...
Also, cyberduck won't even launch.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Nice...you mind if I use that for a sig?
Sure...just don't quote me on it.

What do you mean they switched to "base 10"?
Google it and you will see a lot of controversy. Basically the way windows (and OSX up until now) defined a KB was 1024B, MB as 1024KB, GB as 1024 MB, etc. Well the prefix kilo, mega, giga, etc are base 10. So really KB is 1000B, MB is 1000KB, and GB is 1000MB. This is the way hard drive manufacturers define a GB and thats why you don't have a full 160GB usable space on a 160GB hard drive. Well in snow leopard, a 160GB drive shows up as 160GB usable space.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i see. i didn't know you were referring to storage space. I think they probably just did that to more intuitively represent how much space is left on a disk.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks, does the beta fix all the Cyberduck SL problems?

acos, as far as the jaadu problem, it would be ok to use it on my local network non encrypted, since this data is being encrypted through my network itself anyway, right?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sure is. the only reason you'd encrypt it on your network would be to prevent users on that network from accessing the data... like you might want to do in a large workplace, for instance. But if it's your house (and you're confident in your security), i wouldn't worry about it.

i still have to wait for my iTunes library to transfer before i can install snow leopard and try it out.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Thanks, does the beta fix all the Cyberduck SL problems?
Well I haven't used it extensively but the beta is designed for SL. At least this one opens lol.

"3.3b1 (Aug-28-2009)
Cyberduck-3.3b1.zip
(Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatible beta. Intel Mac OS X 10.5 or later required.)"

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
i see. i didn't know you were referring to storage space. I think they probably just did that to more intuitively represent how much space is left on a disk.
Some say that its for the "stupid" mac owners so they don't ask, wherez my dizk space!?
Thats a dumb reason though. I'm sure theres a better one which we are waiting to hear lol.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
This is what I posted in the other thread:
We ran into many issues and I am still having many problems. One being messing the whole wifi settings, I had to re-install my printer software, I can only print now through usb not wireless, have even been on the phone with printers customer support and they told me it was the OS. It changed all my settings for mouse, etc. preferences. I cannot find now how to double click to open an app, they changed the settings and there are several options which are now gone. I have wifi working now for internet but still it's the bluetooth stuff that I am having problems with.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Threads merged. Sorry 'bout the delay.

Just picked up SL from my local Apple Store, but, as with all OS upgrades, I'm waiting until x.x.1 to install. The good news is that it's already been seeded. :eek:

-K

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Threads merged. Sorry 'bout the delay.

Just picked up SL from my local Apple Store, but, as with all OS upgrades, I'm waiting until x.x.1 to install. The good news is that it's already been seeded. :eek:

-K
You left the old thread up and now its called "Moved: Snow Leopard Problems"

You might as well delete that one since they're merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
The thread isn't up; that is a redirect link to the merged thread. All content is merged into the "issues & quirks" thread. We often leave redirects to help folks who may be looking in the forum for the other thread.

- K

Saturngoddess

Aug 15, 2009
Sunny Southern California
SL problems?

As a newbie to MAC, would you recommend updating? I've had this computer for a couple of months now (no, it's not new - it was last November though LOL), but I am far more knowledgeable about Windows than Mac..

My son told me to update it, but I'm not taking the word of someone that isn't as knowledgeable about computers as others - (FWIW - He's 22 and just loves Apple products - but that's about the extent of his knowledge).

Thanks -

Laura

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
As a newbie to MAC, would you recommend updating? I've had this computer for a couple of months now (no, it's not new - it was last November though LOL), but I am far more knowledgeable about Windows than Mac..

My son told me to update it, but I'm not taking the word of someone that isn't as knowledgeable about computers as others - (FWIW - He's 22 and just loves Apple products - but that's about the extent of his knowledge).

Thanks -

Laura
Hi, and welcome to the forums. It wouldn't hurt to update. As a newbie, you might not notice any changes, but they're there. I would recommend going here and checking out what's new.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Anyone else having problems with mail permanently deleting? I have it set up to permanently delete when I close mail. I do that and when I open mail again, all deleted mail is either in inbox or the RSS feeds section. It is driving me crazy, not to mention the in box is overflowing with read mail I no long want.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Anyone else having problems with mail permanently deleting? I have it set up to permanently delete when I close mail. I do that and when I open mail again, all deleted mail is either in inbox or the RSS feeds section. It is driving me crazy, not to mention the in box is overflowing with read mail I no long want.
I have the same problem.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It is driving me up the damn wall. I have been through all the help sections,Apple site, you name it. Sorry you are having the same issue, but it is good to know I am not the only one. I wonder how wide spread it is? If it is a bug, it needs to be fixed QUICK.
Oh, crap - I was referring to the iPhone, not Snow Leopard. My bad!